main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[HCSF] Korriban and Caamas?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by PDZSY, Mar 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PDZSY

PDZSY Jedi Youngling star 1

May 18, 2002
    I've been doing some research lately. I've been trying to find out if any new planets will be likely to be featured in Episode III. I found a lot of interesting planets, but two of them really stuck out: Korriban and Caamas. I'll explain why I believe these two would be very possible to include in Episode III.

Korriban: This would be the all-time best and most intense site for the duel of all duels to take place. Obi-Wan and Anakin's duel is supposed to be the most action-packed and greatest duel of all Star Wars duels ever. Also, by the end of the duel, Anakin is supposed to turn to the dark side and become Darth Vader. Korriban is the planet of the Sith, where dark side spirits roam freely. It is a focus point for the dark side. What an awesome place to have the final and greatest battle of the Star Wars movie saga! I know what you're thinking. Anakin and Obi-Wan's duel is supposed to take place on a lava planet, and Anakin is supposed to receive his injuries via lava, geysers, etc. Judging from my sources, Korriban fits the "lava planet" characteristic perfectly. Here is a quote from The Force.Net's Unofficial Star Wars Encyclopedia:

Korriban: "this remote planet was the seat of the ancient Sith race. Located across the galaxy from Cinnagar and Koros Minor, it was unknown to the Old Republic before the rise of Naga Sadow. It was to Korriban that the ancient Dark Jedi fled, after they were exiled by the Jedi Knights. Korriban was a desolate world which, under the pall of Sith magic, became more hellish and dangerous. The native life there was twisted by the Dark Side, and the ghosts of Sith Dark Lords roamed everywhere. The Sith Lords erected huge palaces and burial complexes, which honored not only the dead Lords but the current magicians as well. Exar Kun was led here by Freedon Nadd's spirit, in an effort to recover certain Sith manuscripts. The Emperor Palpatine often visited Korriban, to help him center himself in the Dark Side of the Force."

Here is another quote from The Essential Guide to Planets and Moons:

"Emporer Palpatine discovered the planet Korriban and its ghostly Sith spirits. Afer learning that the ancient temples focused and magnified his dark-side abilities, he made regular visits to his "place of power."

If Palpatine visited the planet frequently to focus his powers, wouldn't it be a great place to take Anakin and formally introduce him to the dark side? Palpatine's deceptive powers would be at their strongest, while Anakin's were at their weakest. Obi-Wan, learning Anakin was with Palpatine and knowing that Palpatine was a Sith, went off to rescue Anakin. Of course, we all know that that "rescue" did not go as planned. As far as the lava planet goes, here's an excerpt froM The Unofficial Encyclopedia about the Valley of the Sith Lords which is located on Korriban:

"this valley, located on the planet Korriban, is the site of the tombs of the ancient Dark Lords of the Sith. It was dominated by huge funereal temples and tombs, with an ornate altar at the far end."

Does the words "Eternal Pyre" mean anything? In my essential book I have, it shows a picture of the "ornate alter" called the "Eternal Pyre." Eternal means it goes on forever as a natural phenomenon. It also make more sense for Anakin to simply get scorched by flames of darkness rather then boiled by lava. This planet would be the perfect site for the ultimate, climactic battle of the Star Wars universe to take place!

Now I'll mention Caamas. Caamas was once a peaceful planet very much like Naboo or Alderaan. The ancient race who lived there, the Caamasi, were very calm, placid aliens who sought peace for every issue. Unfortunately, Caamas, due to a sabotage by a group of Bothans, was decimated by the Empire. It's planetary shields were sabotaged and they collapsed. The Empire obliterated practically all life on the planet. Here's why it ties in with Episode III (The Unofficial Star Wars Encyclopedia):

"this planet was one of the first worlds completely destroyed by the Empire. The event happened before t

2. JediHunterCommand

JediHunterCommand Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 2, 2003
    Interesting. Heavy on the EU, but that's not a problem for me. And adding in Caamas would raise a cool race and a tragic incident from the EU to the level of canon. Which would be a good thing in my book.

3. PDZSY

May 18, 2002
    Thanks. I'm glad we agree. It would be interesting to finally bridge the movies and the EU. That's my opinion anyway. If anyone disagrees, that's fine too. You brought up a good point about seeing a cool new race. If Caamas was in Episode III, not only the mysterious Caamasi would be in it, but most likely Bothans would too. They are partly responsible for Caamas's destrution afterall. I've read a huge amount of the EU, and Bothans and Caamasi are among the most interesting races in the Star Wars universe. Maybe even Borsk Fey'lya could make a cameo. Then again, maybe Old Republic's not ready for him! ;) Elegos Ak'la would make an intersting cameo as well. I very much enjoy the EU, and would love to see just a little more of it in the final episode.

4. PDZSY

May 18, 2002
    I just thought of one more thing. In every episode, the audience has been introduced to new, bizarre species. In other words, every episode has new, never-before-seen races. I'll give a few examples (this is based on how the Star Wars movies actually came out, not how they are supposed to be watched chronologically, because that's the most logical way to look at it.)

A New Hope: Obviously, since it was the first movie, every alien race was new!

Empire Strikes Back: Wampas, Tauntauns, Ugnauts, Trandoshans, Space Slugs, Yoda's Race (whatever it is!), etc.

Return of the Jedi: Ewoks, Mon Calamari, Rancors, Gamorreans, Hutts (not counting the Special Edition Jabba appearance), Twi'leks, Sullustans, etc.

The Phantom Menace: Gungans, Toydarians, Neimoidians, Zabraks, Cereans, Dugs, Opee Sea Killers, etc.

Attack of the Clones: Kaminoans, Geonosians, Changelings, Dexter Jettster's Race (does anyone know what that is?),Acklay, Reek, Nexu, Massif, etc.

You see? If Episode III's going to follow the pattern of its predecesors, it will feature new races. The Caamasi and Bothans would be great. As far as new creatures go, it would be awesome to see the Jedi face off against some of the nightmarish creatures on Korriban. They make the Reek, Acklay, Nexu, and Rancor look like harmless puppies! Also, Bothans have a very good chance of getting seen in a movie due to what was said by Mon Mothma in Return of the Jedi: "Many Bothans died to get us these plans." In Star Wars, something is not usually mentioned if it is never going to be seen. It would just be really cool to see at least one of these planets or species in Episode III.

5. stinrab

stinrab Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 9, 1998
    The thing about Bothans is, as far as the movies go, do we actually know that they are, in fact, a race? Before the EU, I always just thought "Bothans" was another name for spy in the SW universe

6. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    I would love it if E3 had scenes on Korriban. Lucas claimed the prequels were going to be dark, but so far all I've seen is characters rolling in the grass and changing clothes for every scene, which doesn't seem dark to me. Hopefully, E3 will be the one where Lucas goes all out.

I know there are limits on what he can do because of the ratings, and also that Lucas isn't much of an "artsy" filmmaker, but I'd like to see some dark side imagery to accompany the duel.

7. The-Clone-Wars

The-Clone-Wars Jedi Master star 3

Jun 27, 2002
    PDZSY, I have to say, I'm proud of you. You did a lot of research and reached well-thought out conclusions. I was intrigued when I saw on the map that Caamas was destroyed 19 years BBY. At first the only way I could think of destroying an entire planet was via the Death Star, but now I'm glad I know what really happened. And I think that your predictions are likely. Korriban would be great to see!

8. Apophis

Apophis Jedi Padawan star 4

May 26, 2002
    Dexter Jettster is a Besalisk ...

9. PDZSY

May 18, 2002
    First of all, I just want to say thank you to The-Clone-Wars and Dark Lady Mara for your compliments. I'm glad this information was helpful for you. I'm still looking for more information on these planets, and will alert everyone immediately if I find anything. If you have any planet suggestions or interesting information on Korriban or Caamas, I'd be happy to hear them! Also, thank you Apophis for the Dexter Jettster's race's name.

stinrab, I also had no idea what Bothans were before reading the EU so I know where you're coming from. Honestly, though, I doubt George Lucas (that is if Bothans are in Episode III) would completely change what Bothans are. He's very good about not contradicting the EU. If he's going to go against the EU, he's going to do somethnig very, very minor. Besides, didn't Lucas have to give the OK to use Bothans and portray them as an individual race before they were included in the EU? I respectfully believe that if Bothans were in Episode III, they would be as portrayed in the EU. Good point though.

Once again, I'm glad my information could be helpful. I look forward to more of your input!

10. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    And to think, they laughed at me when I tried to use EU to support some of my theories here... ;)

I would love to see these happen. Korriban is a real possibility, if only because of the merchandising tie-in with Knights of the Old Republic. The origins of the Sith are pretty much completely unknown from the movies right now, all we know is that they're bad people out to take over the galaxy. To have a bit of background on the Sith and discover the true power they hold would be nothing short of awesome.

11. PDZSY

May 18, 2002
    That's true, HawkNC. As far as movies go, the origin of the Sith has not yet been touched on. Perhaps George Lucas was waiting for the last movie? Well, I hope so anyway! Good speculation. I look forward to more ideas.

12. force_storm663

force_storm663 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 4, 2002
    I like both ideas, but from what I've heard about Korriban is that the dark side concentration on the planet is so strong, only those with a majorly strong connection with the dark side can set foot on it. As my friend put it, "Korriban is like this: HOLY @$#% THE DARK SI-dead". But, since this is EU we're talking, it can be tweaked. But yeah, good ideas man.

13. chiss_man

chiss_man Jedi Master star 6

Jul 1, 2002
    Before the EU, I always just thought "Bothans" was another name for spy in the SW universe

I thought that too, but Mothma said "Bothan spies". I figured that they were a spy race. :)

14. Kwenn

Kwenn Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 30, 2001
    It would be nice to see EU planets in Ep3, but I doubt it will happen. Don't get me wrong; I like the EU, but I'm not sure there'll be room for loads of new planets. Ep3 has got a lot of loose ends to tie up, as well as the actual story.

Besides, we've never had more than about 4 planets in each episode:

TPM: Tatooine, Coruscant, Naboo
    AOTC: Coruscant, Naboo, Kamino, Geonosis, Tatooine (OK, there's 5 here, but we weren't on Naboo, Kamino or Tatooine for long)
    ANH: Tatooine, Death Star, Yavin IV
    ESB: Hoth, Dagobah, Bespin
    ROTJ: Tatooine, Death Star II, Endor moon

The planets verified for Episode 3 are Coruscant and Tatooine. I think LucasFilm has said Kamino will probably be there, as well as Naboo. Add the 'lava planet' and we've got 5 already...

15. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    Tatooine will be almost a non-entity in Ep3, from what they shot in Tunisia. GL has said that they shot the only scene necessary for Ep3 while they were in Tunisia the last time, so I doubt it will play a very large role. Besides, who says that Anakin falling in lava has been confirmed? ;)

16. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Daughter_of_Yubyub Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 2002
    I love the EU, but I don't want to see any planets randomly stuck in Ep. III just to appease EU fans. It cheapens them.

17. PDZSY

May 18, 2002
    I respectively disagree, Daughter of Yubuyub. Korriban and Caamas would not really be random EU planets just to please the fans. The reason I posted these two possibilities was because of how much they related to Episode III. Caamas is destroyed VERY close to Episode III's time period and without a Death Star. As for the "lava planet," who says all of it has to be flames and lava? Korriban is a very dark planet with an Eternal Pyre of fire erupting eternally. I don't think even the Chosen One could survive falling pure lava. Scorching flames would be a lot more believable. I understand your point about planets in the EU and am glad you posted your idea, I just think that these two planets have a very good chance of being in Episode III. There's also that small mention about Palpatine visiting Korriban regularly to focus his dark side powers. If George Lucas wants to fit these two or even just one of them in Episode III, he would not have to change much about the EU or the planets themselves. Ultimately, it's his choice, and I'll be happy with whatever he decides.

18. MOSEP

MOSEP Jedi Youngling star 2

May 22, 2002
    I think GL´s intention with every SW movie is to show new stuff in it.
    Having a whole planet that´s already familiar to some is not his style, i believe.
    Of course, he had Aayla Secura in AOTC, and she "came" from the EU, but a whole world,
    i doubt it.

Don´t get me wrong, it would be awesome to see a place like Korriban, and, as already been stated, it would be nice with some background info about the Sith in EpIII.

19. PDZSY

May 18, 2002
    Thanks for your input MOSEP. It would be awesome to see Korriban and Caamas. I know it would be a stretch if he did this, but I think the final result would be worth it. Coruscant was very well-known by many fans before Episode I hit the theaters. Though I have just started reading the EU only about two years ago, I can imagine how awesome it must have been for the fans to see such a well-known and interesting planet as Coruscant. The way I see it, the Star Wars galaxy is George Lucas's to do what he wants with. Every planet needs to be treated equally. In other words, there should be no barrier between the movie planets and the EU planets. Now I know that there is no possible way George Lucas could ever include every planet in even 60 movies, let alone 6, but what I'm trying to say is he should consider every planet on the same level. Obi-Wan and Anakin's duel is what all the Star Wars movies revolve around because so much is at stake. It is supposed to be the most intense, unrivaled duel in all of Star Wars. For such an important duel, a planet should be chosen very carefully, with no boundaries of any kind standing in the way of picking the best one. Unfortunately, it's probably not that simple, though. However, any planet (especially Korriban) should definitely be considered. May the Force be with George Lucas's decision. However, I know whatever he decides will be the best possible choice. It always is.

20. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    What? No serious EU bashing going on? Have the boards become a peaceful place after all...? ;)

I'll agree that the planets would fit in, as would many characters, but I wouldn't count on it a bit. Lucas tells his own stories and has his own ideas. Your best hope will be that the development of Coruscant and Aayla Secura are repeated.

With Coruscant, from what I understand, Lucas had already provided the basic concept (along with Ralph McQuarrie artwork) during the OT. Obviously, they couldn't pull it off then, and the story worked without the location. This main capital planet as imagined by Lucas was then used by Timothy Zahn when he, let's say it, gave birth to EU as we know it. He chose the name himself, and it was approved. Years later, Lucas does the new trilogy and needs the planet, so what does he do? He accepts the name Lucasfilm has already approved. Otherwise, everthing LFL had built up the years before would have fallen together.
    In other words, if there is a Sith planet where dark spirits roam, Lucas might name it Korriban if someone points it out to him. This could be. Caamas, however, is a different thing, for it's entirely Zahn's brainchild (as far as I know). If it were a story Lucas had mentioned in the 80's and Zahn only fleshed it out (like he dared to mention the Clone Wars), it could happen. But don't count on it, I don't think Zahn relied so heavily on Lucas' cutting room floor.

Aayla Secura was another thing. Lucas had lots of Jedi and needed strange appearances for them (to me, most of them look like bodybuilders with false hairstyles ;) ). Well into post-production, he saw that comic cover, and although the Jedi in question used a red saber, he fell in love with it (well...you know what I mean...). The red saber was exchanged with a blue one, and the character was filmed late in postproduction, inserted into the scenes as if she had been there at shooting. So Lucas could see a Caamasi on a drawing and say, "Hey, that looks cool." His next thought would be, "Wedgie it out and put it in the background of the bar scene." He wouldn't copy a whole species another guy invented.
    The same goes for Thrawn, and thousands of other characters. If it is visually interesting, it's in there. But a blue skinned Imperial? The movies need to explain the New Order (=hatred towards alien species) while Palpatine works with them guys on a regular basis. IF the hatred for aliens is in the movies at all (well, that one Imperial didn't like Chewbacca, so what?), it would have to be mentioned in ep3. And how would you explain Thrawn, then? Maybe by cutting on that Anakin/Vader B-plot...
    Maybe we'll see something from EU. But it won't be all that much.

As a closing note (and to cheer things up), I liked the idea of introducing the Bothans being used by evil. The sacrifice in ep6 would be some sort of redemption then. "Many Neimoidians died bringing us that information..." Now that would've been cool.

21. MOSEP

MOSEP Jedi Youngling star 2

May 22, 2002
    I totally agree with you.
    Personally, i really don´t like this feeling
    that the films and the EU being almost two different things.

I mean, if i had created such a grande work of art as SW, i certainly would´nt have given my permission of books and comics being released every now and then,
    if i did´nt planned to stick to the facts
    being in them.
    What´s the use of a timeline if some, or most, part of it isn´t "official" stuff?

Your Coruscant "parallel" to your Korriban theory is interesting.
    I think more people were familiar with Coruscant before TPM than they are with Korriban today, so there might be a chance...

Besides, the duel of all duels definitely needs a place above the average.

22. PDZSY

May 18, 2002
    Thanks, Mosep. I too wish that the movies and the EU would fit together as a single unit, even though I hate to admit that it will probably never happen. Out of the two, I'd guess that Korriban has more of a chance being seen in Episode III. Still, Caamas could be used as kind of planet cameo if you will. It would be awesome if in the last few scenes in the movie when the Empire is officially "born," if a planet was destroyed by an Imperial fleet. Just imagine a whole armada of Star Destroyers, Tie Fighter, Bombers, etc. zooming towards Caamas. Then, in the last Empire scene in the movie, you see the entire Imperial fleet with a desecrated, burning planet in the background. Talk about a way to leave the audience with a sense of hopelessness. That's just an idea, though. Korriban would definitely be the "duel of all duels" planet if George Lucas decided to use it.

Grey 1, you made some good, realistic points about the movie's connection with the EU. Of course, I still believe there's a possibility of Korriban and/or Caamas in Episode III if George Lucas wants it that way, but I see your point. I also want to thank everyone who has posted so far for not bashing the EU. I am also very pleased with the fun, clean speculation that has taken place. I hope for it to continue. Thanks again. I look forward to more posts.

23. Darth_Haggis

Darth_Haggis Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2002
    I agree, it would be cool to see both Korriban and Caamas in Episode III.

24. PDZSY

May 18, 2002
    Indeed it would, Darth Haggis, Indeed it would. I know the chances are slim, but who knows. This is Star Wars, so the unexpected is bound to happen. Thanks for posting! I look forward to more!

25. Esplin9466

Esplin9466 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 27, 2002
    Very interesting idea, PDZSY. I don't think it's very likely, but I'd certainly love to see Korriban and/or Caamas in Episode III. I'm opposed to senseless cameos, but, if they serve the plot, why not use them?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.