main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[HCSF] Return of the King syndrome, anyone?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by woj101, Jan 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. woj101

woj101 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Feb 19, 2000
    As we enter the year of the last Star Wars, is anyone as fearful as me. I got the ROTK extended edition when it came out (having not bought the theatrical version) but can not bring myself to watch the second disc - end of an era type drivel - when the time comes on May 19th, I hope I can bring myself to actually buy a ticket and turn up.

2. GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN

GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN Jedi Master star 5

Jul 4, 2004
    I have the theatrical version. Its good and I no I'll be able to bring myself to watch ROTS.

3. stormcloud8

stormcloud8 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    If by 'Return of the King syndrome' you mean I think that the movie will be the not very interesting conclusion to an overrated saga...then, no...I don't have that...

4. Obi-Wan's Apparition

Obi-Wan's Apparition Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 10, 2000
    If the second half of RotS is like the second half of RotK, I'll pull my hair out. Please, George, no slow motion! [face_plain]

5. RebelScum77

RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2003
    Please, let's not turn this into a ROTK bashing thread.

6. Obi_Frans

Obi_Frans Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    If by Ret-"angry look from RS"

:p

Opinions on the quality of RotK aside, it'll definitely have a RotK-ish aspect to it.

No more waiting for a SW movie, no more speculation, no more Anakin/ObiWan/JohnWilliamsStarWarsScores etc etc etc.

It's the gift and the curse.

7. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    The extended edition ROTK is far superior to the theatrical release, same as with FOTR and TTT.

As far as the ending goes, the ending of films is always the most difficult part.

Think about how many fantastic films you've seen where a "bad" or "cheesy" ending winds up almost ruining the entire movie.

It's too bad that Peter Jackson couldn't include the Scouring of the Shire in ROTK, because it's one of the best part of the entire written trilogy.

The hobbits come home, grown in character and wisdom, and realize that the evil of Mordor exists not only in Mordor far away, but is brought to the Shire where they grew up.

And we don't understand just how much they've grown until they encounter their friends and family, who barely recognize them.

This is true especially of Frodo; if I have one major bone to pick with PJ's vision, it's that the sacrifice and ultimate transformation of Frodo into a "saint" is totally lost in the films.

It was a difficult part to bring to the screen, but I thought something was missing.

Anyway, by "ROTK syndrome", I thought this was going to be a thread on how everyone had to waste at least one day, sitting on the couch, watching LOTR or SW. I know I did. ;)

8. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    You know what I find kind of funny? That Bruce Spence has a part in the last act of all the great trilogies of the last few years: The Matrix Revolutions, Revenge of the Sith and The Return of the King. Ain't that cool? :)

9. PloKloon1138

PloKloon1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 5, 2001
    Yes Bruce, we know, you're so cool. But can you quit with the bragging?

:p

10. stormcloud8

May 24, 2002
    If we keep bringing up Matrix and LOTR then I'm gonna have to start firing away with some Bash...

11. MyEternalRest

MyEternalRest Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 24, 2002
    Who did Spence play in Revolutions?

12. RebelScum77

Aug 3, 2003
    Spence played the Trainman.

Obi-Frans knows what happens when LOTR bashing starts around me. [face_beatup] :p

But seriously, that's not what this thread should be about. We have enough trouble with Star Wars bashers to have to deal with those from LOTR.

13. MyEternalRest

MyEternalRest Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 24, 2002
    Spence played the Trainman.
    Ah, so he did. Thanks.

14. Obi-Wan's Apparition

Obi-Wan's Apparition Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 10, 2000
    If we keep bringing up Matrix and LOTR then I'm gonna have to start firing away with some Bash...

Hey, I actually like (most) of LotR. The Matrix on the other hand... [face_devil]

I really don't know if I'll feel sad towards RotS. I'll like the fact that I can finally watch all six movies together. :p

I didn't feel sad towards RotK either (but it ended up that I didn't like it. Heh.)

15. b-wingmasterburnz

b-wingmasterburnz Jedi Master star 3

May 27, 2004
    Hey, I just finished my LOTR marathon a half hour ago, and I loved every minute of it. However, since I watche all of ROTK's credits, I now have one bash for ROTK: Featuring the entire member-list of the LOTR fan club is just ludicrous.

16. RebelScum77

Aug 3, 2003
    Hehe... I know, it went on for over 10 minutes.

Can you imagine if George did that at the end of ROTS? It's sort of silly, then again, I'd sure like to see my name (somewhere about 5 minutes into the list) attached to the movie in any shape or form. Hopefully there will at least be a thank you to the fan club or Hyperspace members in general. :p

17. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Maybe Lucas can thank TFN and the JC for keeping his popularity up after the bashing the PT has taken in the popular press and society. [face_devil]

18. Lars_Muul

Oct 2, 2000
    As far as I'm concerned, the fan club credits on TLOTR aren't part of the real credits. The real credit music ends when the real credits end, what follows is just for geeks who want to go "Uhhhhhuh, cool, I'm on TV!"
    I'm glad Lucas doesn't do that sort of things. Is there even an official Star Wars Fan Club?

I've just watched the Matrix trilogy BTW(I mean really watched it), with commentary and without, and I gotta say: It's now one of my absolute favorites!

Yes Bruce, we know, you're so cool. But can you quit with the bragging?

Won't be easy! :)

19. RebelScum77

Aug 3, 2003
    Is there even an official Star Wars Fan Club?

Oh yes, that's what you're in when you pay for Hyperspace and a subscription to Insider. They send you a member ship card and everything. :-B

20. Lars_Muul

Oct 2, 2000
    Ooh, how nice! Maybe I'll join after ROTS.

21. stormcloud8

May 24, 2002
    Better to join now, when you get something for it, all the sneak peaks and so forth. After the film, it won't provide as much value. Depending on the future of Star Wars (TV, etc) then I may cancel my subscription after.

22. Lars_Muul

Oct 2, 2000
    I don't want any sneak peeks now. I think Star Wars will live on afterwards, on other types of media. That's something I really want to keep up to date with.

23. Mace Windy

Mace Windy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 3, 1999
    I really am not looking forward to any Star Wars material after the films. I am not a fan of Science Fiction Television, and ultimately feel as though I'd be dissapointed in a Star Wars television show as the special effects would no doubt be sub-standard, and the storylines, if they are anything like much of the EU, would be lacking as well.

I will defidentially feel a sense of loss when Revenge of the Sith is over, but it certainly won't stop me from buying a ticket! I was very saddened, and still am saddened, by the fact that the Lord of the Rings series is over. I greatly enjoyed looking forward to each of those films. All things must come to an end, however, and the memories always remain. :)

:_| Mace Windy,
    too windy for spoilers!

24. stormcloud8

May 24, 2002
    Agreed on your fears, Windy. Though it is possible that any post-film material could be good. Unlikely, but I'll keep my fingers crossed.

25. Lars_Muul

Oct 2, 2000
    If given to the right people, the post-movie stuff might turn out really good.
    "Everything that has a beginning has an end"... Hmm, where have I heard that before?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.