main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[HCSF] Return of the King syndrome, anyone?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by woj101, Jan 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mace Windy

Mace Windy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 3, 1999
    Oh, I know! I know!

"The Matrix is overrated." - Mace Windy

:p

:cool: Mace Windy,
    too windy for spoilers!

2. BauconBatista

BauconBatista Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 24, 2004
    Wow, a whole page of replies before Windy made "The Remark"! A new Guinness World Record! [face_dancing] 8-}

I'll also be sad to see the end of Star Wars :(

3. Mace Windy

Mace Windy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 3, 1999
    "Wow, a whole page of replies before Windy made "The Remark"!"

I was trying to use restraint, but you guys made it too difficult for me.

In this forum, I try to be professional.... :p

:cool: Mace Windy,
    too windy for spoilers!

4. MaceWindyII

MaceWindyII Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 18, 2000
    It isn't working.

:mad: MaceWindyII,
    mace windy's unsuccessful sequel

5. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    I saw the ROTK with the school class I am in when it was released and the audience laughed the whole time. I must admit, while the laughing pissed me off (talking during movies is rude, especially if the reaction is inappropriate) but it sure did have so very unintentionally funny/ bad moment and lots of yawning during the endings. I saw FOTR twice in cinemas, enjoyed it. Then in mid-2002 AOTC came out, had it's glory and then the media started overhyping LOTR. Especially starting SW vs. LOTR wars helped tearing apart the moviegoers. I too lost interest in LOTR back then. I didn't mind go seeing TTT (though I planned it as it was around).
    The LOTR Trilogy is overrated. It is way too long and the cinematography and everything got boring very fast (IMO).
    TPM and AOTC had a much bigger scale and offered a lot more variety (okay, it isn't fixed to a book and takes place in a distant universe).

I am afraid that ROTS might eventually disappoint me somehow. That would be terrible being the final SW Episode.

6. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    To me, TLOTR is as great as SW. SW is more rewatchable, though, because it's fast paced and has more diversity.
    As far as syndromes go; I don't think I will feel empty after ROTS is out and I have it on DVD. Quite the contrary. That will be the moment when I say "At last!"
    Finally, I will have my Saga on the shelf, to watch whenever I want and twist and turn to my heart's delight. I'll be able to watch a scene in TPM and compare it to another in ROTS. Or compare ROTJ and ROTS. Or feel the leap in time between ROTS and ANH. See the full development of Anakin.
    etc
    etc
    etc

Star Wars is one
    /LM

7. Ekenobi

Ekenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 4, 2002
    I know I will not have that feeling. Becuas then it be time to wait until it comes out on DVD. I do love LOTR but I have to say the multi endings dragged it out some in ROTK. Not really sure why gandolf Frodo and Bilbo were leaving the Shire. Oh well. These movies will live on in DVD.

8. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Yeah, I guess if you didn't read the books, the scene on the ship at the Havens doesn't really make sense.

Okay, maybe Gandalf and the Elves, but why Frodo and Bilbo?

Because they were Ringbearers - it's kind of like a huge honour bestowed upon them for bearing the burden of the Ring - to journey West (into Heaven, essentially).

9. EMPEROR_WINDU

EMPEROR_WINDU Force Ghost star 5

Nov 23, 2002
    Will they live forever there, despite the fact that they are not elves?

10. NiktosRule

NiktosRule Jedi Padawan star 4

May 8, 2001
    I will have no trouble watching ROTS knowing it will be the last of the movies. I will savor every last bit of the movie.

I do agree with Windy in respect to any TV shows. I would rather have ROTS end the saga then a potentially crappy TV show or other tie-in making Star Wars look bad. I personally think the Clone Wars cartoon is an awful edition to the saga.

11. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    And I thought the Clone Wars shorts were brilliant.

There's some great EU novels out there, and there's a lot of garbage.

Yet they haven't really detracted from the impact and popularity of SW, only added to it. IMHO.

The TV format is quite dangerous, of course - but as long as they stay away from the Saga aspect (which they will, hopefully) and just make a show in the SW universe, it could be cool.

12. Lars_Muul

Oct 2, 2000
    Either they would have to make something totally different from the movies within the SW universe, or it would have to take place between or before the movies. Otherwise, they would have to come up with an entirely new storyline and that usually doesn't work. Lucas' story is the best one, so they should base it on that. That's why Clone Wars works so well - it's part of his story.

Star Wars is six, two and one
    /LM

13. Twinky_Stryder

Twinky_Stryder Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2003
    There's nothing wrong with ROTK, especially the EE.

*thinks*

Except for the Palantir scene, that was just put in there to shut up fans, I think.....

And the Houses Of Healing could have been longer.....

*snaps out of it*

But other than those silly things, it's GREAT!

As for ROTS, I will see it and love it(even if it sucks) and that will be that.

14. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    The scene at Isengard with Saruman is actually one of my favorite scenes in the TTT novel, but it didn't translate as well on the screen.

My wife hasn't read TTT or ROTK, just seen the movies, and she didn't really understand the significance of the exchanges between Saruman, Gandalf and Theoden.

15. spaceace27

spaceace27 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 16, 2004
    I'd like to point out that, despite the fact that both series have shortcomings (such as the drawing out of ROTK), both The Matrix and LOTR were spine-tinglingly good...and from what I've seen the same is coming true for ROTS.119 days!

16. stormcloud8

stormcloud8 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    If we keep praising Matrix and LOTR on a Star Wars message board...we're gonna need an opposing view point...don't make me...

17. Mandalorian_Warrior

Mandalorian_Warrior Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 19, 2002
    Matrix is enourmously overrated. Just my opinon.
    I thought the first was entertaining, but the sequels were uncalled for, overdone and overall subpar. It seemed like they were just making up the story to go along with ideas they thought were cool, and that they were trying to make the next big trilogy instead of an actual story agenda.

18. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    Yeah, I'd say that's the definitive statement on the Matrix trilogy. [face_laugh]

Well, agreed with storm - we should get off the LOTR and Matrix discussion, unless we tie it in better to ROTS.

Everything gets tied up in ROTS. The interesting thing here is that we KNOW certain things have to happen by the end of the movie....it's going to be rather strange to watch.

Not: "Wow, so THAT'S the major character who had to die!"

But: "Wow, so that's HOW that character died!"

A little different, eh?

19. snap-hiss

snap-hiss Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2001
    It definatly will be a big day for mixed emotions. I will surely be in a stupor coming out of that theater.

!snap

20. MYMUTHAZ

MYMUTHAZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 17, 2001
    yeah mandalorian warrior nailed the matrix!

21. threepio_mania

threepio_mania Jedi Master star 3

Dec 15, 2002
    If by 'Return of the King syndrome' you mean I think that the movie will be the not very interesting conclusion to an overrated saga...then, no...I don't have that...

As a prequel fanboy you'd be the expert on something being overrated...

Anyway I don't care about it being an end of an era because as far as I see it ROTJ was the end of the excellent SW films. This will be the end of the okay ones.

I wasn't bummed by LOTR ending either. Sure the greatest fantasy films in recent years were over, but I had already read the books so I didn't really feel the end of an era.

And ROTK did not have multiple endings. Some people are trained to think fade to blacks mean the end, I guess.

22. Lars_Muul

Oct 2, 2000
    Off topic: The Matrix is extremely underrated, IMO. I gave the trilogy a second(and third) chance and now I love it. You'll need to watch it several times and you'll need to be quite clever to get it, but if you can put up with that, I promise it'll be worthwhile.

On topic: See my above post ;)

Star Wars is six, two and one
    /LM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.