[HCSF] Updated Non-Spoiler Forum Rules (everyone read) -- Updated 24/10/04 [New Policy added!]

Discussion in 'Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by Mr. P, May 14, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. P FanFic Archive Editor, Manager Emeritus

star 5
    NOTE: These are the new rules. Threads that are created from now on and/or threads that are on the front page (ie the first 50 threads) of the NS forum are subject to them. If a thread is below the first page and is upped, and it does not go by these rules, it will be locked. We will not go into the back-pages and put these rules on threads that are not active. Hence, those pages may not be at the same level of spoiler-free-ness as the first few pages.

The rules, as of 3/22/02 (by Mr. P and cbjedi) are as follows and updated to reflect the release of AOTC by wstraka5, stinrab and Mace Windy on 8/18/02:

----

Welcome to the JC. While you're here, I hope you'll drop by the non-spoiler forum. The following is our most current set of rules for what is and is not considered spoiler material

These are the rules that apply to the entire JC (with the exception of the 3SA forum)

1) Anything dated prior to May 19, 2002 from any official or unofficial source is not a spoiler.

2) Anything said by Lucas, McCallum, or any other individual ranking high in the Lucasfilm hierarchy is not a spoiler.

3) Anything said by a mid- to lower- level employee, like the ones who leak info to TF.N, is a spoiler.

3) Quotes from actors, stunt doubles, etc., who were on the set of Episode 3 are not considered spoilers.

4) Any information from any issue of Star Wars Insider is not a spoiler. Information from any tabloid or other publication dated after 5/19/02 is.

5) Any information taken from the official site, including the Select pics, is not a spoiler.

6) When the time comes, the posters and trailers will not be considered spoilers.

7) Of course, all sorts of speculation based on information obtained from the non-spoiler sources above is acceptable and welcome.

Information from the OS will now be discussed in relevant OS threads. These threads will be divided into categories, thereby moving all discussion on those matters to there. In addition, this will, hopefully, help those who wish to remain completely spoiler-free as OS information will be contained to these threads.

The following are certain actions that are not allowed in the Non-Spoiler Forum to keep it devoid of spoilers:

1) Posting highlightable text (ex: highlightable). This makes it very easy for a troll to hide spoilers, and makes it harder to administrate in general. They also will be seen when the colors of the board change.

2) Linking to the Episode III (Spoilers Allowed) forum. Linking to a thread in the SA forum is not allowed because then people would have to venture into SA to get someone's point, and they could be easily spoiled. It presents a temptation to non-spoiler members, and if one needs to refer to a SA thread, they can easily simply quote the parts of the thread that they refer to, editing out the spoiler parts since they would not contribute to the discussion, and obviously because they are spoilers.

3) Discussing opinions of Episode III based on spoilers. Threads such as "Don't get too hyped up about episode III" are not allowed since they are informing and discussing spoilers. Opinions of Episode III based on speculation are allowed, but not based on spoilers. Based on spoilers means that they are discussing spoilers, and that is not allowed in the NS forum.

4) Posting an item which has the possibility of being, or can be perceived as, a spoiler.
    Speculation is the desired form of discussion.

We reserve the right to restrict certain users from posting in the non-spoiler forum, such as users whose names contain spoilers and those with spoilers in their signatures. In order to achieve the utmost protection, spoiled mods and members should also limit their participation in this forum.

Off-topic polls will be created on a regular basis by 3NS forum mods for the purpose of community building. Only forum mods are allowed to create such polls. If you would like a certain topic to b
  2. GrandAdmiralPelleaon Force Ghost

star 6
    this should always be on 1 page

insider isn't a spoiler?

-GrandAdmiralPelleaon
  3. Mr. P FanFic Archive Editor, Manager Emeritus

star 5
    No, stuff officially released from LFL (except for the soundtrack and the novel) are not spoilers. This includes insider.

--Mr. P :cool:
  4. GrandAdmiralPelleaon Force Ghost

star 6
    but if you read the insider your essentially spoiled aren't you? I mean you know stuff from the movie then ...right?

-GrandAdmiralPelleaon
  5. k kanos Jedi Master

star 4
    It would be problematic at best to try to regulate SW Insider stemmed info.

It gives us information about Episode II to a point. However, Lucasfilm is not going to give out the plot to Episode II. That is what we are most concerned with. We are all in the non-spoiler forum because we don't want to know the "Story" to Episode II. Things like what color lightsaber someone uses and Anakin's car are just minor details that don't reveal plot info. You can always speculate and presume about the visual information, but who knows, the trailer may even reveal information like who the next sith apprentice is. Not only is it almost unanimous in here on seeing the trailer, but I would venture to bet that most of us our subscribers to the SW Insider. Besides, the official site references it all the time.
  6. Dom Jedi Master

star 4
    "but if you read the insider your essentially spoiled aren't you?"

As a spoilee I would tend to answer "yes, partly". It's official spoilers but still spoilers nonetheless for many. This time the Insider is giving away a lot more than for TPM and a lot of stuff can be understood far better now that we know the prequel universe. As it is, people who read the mag, the OS, watch the documentaries etc. will hardly enter the movie with virgin eyes and even plot elements are starting to emerge from the abundance of official information. I can see why some people are a bit bothered they will know too much eventually, even if it all comes from LFL.

To respect those people, an idea could be to find a way to identify hard core non-spoiler threads for pure speculation and discussion where the rules are more strict regarding the use of official information. This way, folks who wants to know near to nothing could discuss with less risk.
  7. legacyAccount Jedi Youngling

dom has a good point... perhaps people who want to speculate about certain points without insider information, ect can put something in the title to the effect of "harcore spoiler free" and then in the inital post say what is or is not allowed. assuming there is admin support of that to help inforce, it might work.

the only concern i have with that is people like me... all that i know about EP 2 is what i hear on this board, and i don't really know the sources for it. so i may accidentaly spoil someone without knowing it, mentioning something from an insider that i thought was mentioned on the official site, or something to that effect.

ideas anyone?
  8. Mace Windy Manager Emeritus

star 6
    The Insider tells less than you might think. It rarely comes (bimonthy right?) and even then it doesn't feature much in the way of spoilers. Just a pic or two, and Rick's little rambles which usually tell me nothing [face_laugh]

:cool: Mace Windy,
    windier than the windiest wind!
  9. Mr. P FanFic Archive Editor, Manager Emeritus

star 5
    I don't get Insider, so I really wouldn't know how much in terms of spoilres it gives out. DLM, when she first put together this set of rules, said that Insider was OK. I didn't change any of her rules; I just added a few to make it a bit safer around here. Insider stuff has been allowed here before.

I'll have to discuss this with SotS. On one hand, I see people saying that Insider spoils a lot, and then others saying that Insider doesn't spoil very much at all.

10. GrandAdmiralPelleaon Force Ghost

star 6
    I don't get it either so don't ask me...I was a bit spoiled for TPM by reading an article in a SF magazine about it...

-GrandAdmiralPelleaon
  11. Missninfan Manager Emeritus

star 5
  12. Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    Good work, P. And I agree that the Insider has not been giving out any real spoilers, just interesting little tidbits here and there.
  13. Silmarillion Manager Emerita/Ex RSA

star 6
    What about things like French Insider pictures? I noticed there's a thread on one of the new pictures on the first page. Are we to assume that all of those pictures are not considered spoilers?

Sorry if this is common knoweldge, but I don't know. :)
  14. Mr. P FanFic Archive Editor, Manager Emeritus

star 5
    If it's from LFL, it's not a spoiler, pretty much. It's explained in the rules who it's a spoiler from and who it's not from LFL. The exceptions are the soundtrack and the novelizations, which are definitely spoilers.

15. Joey7F Jedi Master

star 4
    Opinions based on spoilers are not allowed?

So when Ebert gives it Two Thumbs up, this will not be allowed because it is based on spoilers? I think this needs to be altered or something.

--Joey
  16. Mr. P FanFic Archive Editor, Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Opinions based on spoilers are spoilers, Joey. If your opinion is based on spoilers and you are discussing your opinion, then your opinion is pretty much a spoler since you're discussing spoilers.

Besdies, why would anyone need to discuss opinions based on spoilers? At least, not in this forum.

And who would want to discuss what Ebert said, anyway? :p I don't trust any movie critics after TPM, let alone on an SW movie. But that's just my opinion...

17. Mace Windy Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I, quite frankly, don't want to hear the reviews prior to seeing the film. It will only distort my first viewing of it....

:cool: Mace Windy,
    windier than the windiest wind!
  18. Pedro Force Ghost

star 4

"I see people saying that Insider spoils a lot, and then others saying that Insider doesn't spoil very much at all."

Trust me, it doesn't.

"And who would want to discuss what Ebert said, anyway? I don't trust any movie critics after TPM, let alone on an SW movie."

Hey, man, don't burn your bridges; Ebert's your friend. He gave every movie in the OT 4 stars, and TPM 3.5. He's one of the good guys...just imagine what Roeper's gonna say about E2...
  19. Sith Interceptor Jedi Master

star 4
  20. Sith Interceptor Jedi Master

star 4
    are SPY REPORTS considered spoilers?

I'm serious, it could effect my posting in this forum.
  21. Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    "are SPY REPORTS considered spoilers?"

I hope that was a joke.
  22. Obi Anne FF admin Celebrations, Europe

Administrator
    star 7
    Good job, P. And try to keep this one high up on the front page all the time.
  23. Adali-Kiri Jedi Master

star 4
    I swear to abide by this set of rules. Good job, Mods!

Just one thing; I have to agree with Joey that the rule of "opinions based on spoilers" is a little weird. Does this mean that speculation is not allowed in here..? 'Cause how are you guys going to figure out whether a poster is letting out spoiler info or merely speculating..? Someone may pin down the exact identity or background of the next Sith without having read a single spoiler, eg...

I mean, I do see your point, but it's quite possible to discuss spoilers without being aware of it. In fact, us NS Knights might be the ones most likely to do just that!

This sounds like it's impossible to carry out. ?[face_plain]
  24. Mr. P FanFic Archive Editor, Manager Emeritus

star 5
    I think you're reading the rule wrong...

It pretty much means taht discussion of stuff like what the SA people think E2 will be like is off-limits. SA people aren't allowed to describe spoilers, even if it's just their opinion of the spoilers, whether they look good or bad.

--Mr.P :cool:
  25. Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus

star 7
    You know, this discussion should *technically* be going on in Paradox's thread.

Sorry, I couldn't help it. [face_blush]
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.