main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends He Brought Me Flowers - Challenge response, Qui-Gon/Obi-Wan

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by VaderLVR64, Apr 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Title: He Brought Me Flowers
    Author: VaderLVR64
    Characters: Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan
    Timeframe; JA
    Summary: Obi-Wan gives Qui-Gon a gift.
    Genre: vignette, angst
    Notes: In response to The New Challenge Thread

He Brought Me Flowers

He brought me flowers.

This was not the type of gift he usually gave me. We are not much for gifts, the two of us. But every now and then while we were on a mission Obi-Wan would find some little object he thought would please me. He would find a way to obtain it and make a gift of it. It was his way of building a small treasure of memories for us as Master and Padawan.

It might be an interesting stone, in tribute to the first gift I ever gave him, or a clipping from a plant I had admired. Always the gifts were thoughtful and inexpensive. Thoughtful because Obi-Wan knows no other way to be and inexpensive because we are Jedi and have eschewed material wealth.

But we are rich in ways that go far beyond credits and jewels.

The flowers proved that.

They were not rare or costly. Rather, they were humble little blooms, unique only in what they meant to me.

The moment he entered our apartment, proudly bearing his gift, the familiar scent washed over me. I was lost in a flood of memories so powerful that I wasn?t sure if I wanted to cry or laugh out loud. And so I settled for a smile and opened my arms to receive the blossoms he had brought for me.

He approached me hesitantly, still unsure if his gift was right. My smile was not enough, so I let my shields down for a moment and let him see exactly what his gift meant to me.

The rilana flowers brought up all the grief I had been storing inside.

But the sight of them also warmed me and made me remember the small joys they represented. Obi-Wan?s thoughtfulness lanced a wound. At last I was able to embrace the good with the bad, the grief with the bliss. Both are gifts that comes from living ? and loving.

My Padawan?s gift to me then, was much more than flowers. He was trying to give me back my joy. The emerald shimmer of their leaves reflected the light that Obi-Wan brought to me. I had cut myself off from life, from him. And in doing so, I had turned my back on the light, the Living Force that had always sustained me.

I suffered for the loss, and Obi-Wan saw my anguish.

He brought me a gift of rilana flowers because he knew that I loved them. And he felt that I needed them. Obi-Wan is wise beyond his years and his compassion knows no boundaries.

Rilana flowers are unique in many ways. They are native to more than one world and the only thing those worlds have in common is that they are inhospitable. The tiny crimson blooms, with their deep jade leaves should not grow where they do. But somehow, the hardy little flowers dig in and thrive. They make a place for themselves where no other plant life will dare. Too hot or cold, too dry or wet, the flowers seem to take no notice.

They are audacious little flowers.

Seeing them in my Padawan?s arms made me remember why I love them so. I remember kissing her in a field of them, their oddly sharp scent surrounding us. We were young then, too young to know what the galaxy might hold for us, or perhaps too confident to care. We were brave in our ignorance. We were like the rilana flowers, simply going about the business of living and taking no notice of the danger around us.

I held her in my arms and my lips touched hers for the first time. Like the woman herself, her kiss was warm and intoxicating, fiery and sweet at the same time. She had put her mark on me then, though neither of us knew it. I was hers and she was mine.

But she was gone. I had thought I was alone. But my Padawan reminded me that there was still much sweetness to be found.

He brought me the offering in his slightly hesitant way. He went on his knees before me and placed the blossoms in my arms. A riot of red and beryl blanketed me. His eyes shone with hope and a touch of

2. Princess_Arulmozhi

Princess_Arulmozhi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    <sniff> Oh, that was lovely. Flowers. The description was perfect!

3. lazykbys_left

lazykbys_left Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 17, 2005
    In time, of course, the little flowers wilted and died. But their gift remained.

*sigh*

That was just lovely. Thank you for writing this vig.

4. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Oh my... that was so ... so beautiful. I'm really at a loss for words as this big old lump in my throat won't go away.

5. mouse2

mouse2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 1999
    That was wonderful! =D=

There's something to be said about getting a gift of flowers (personally I'm a sucker for them).

Qui-Gon getting them is so fitting. Something about their looks and fragrance let's you know there is still good in the galaxy. :)

6. LuvEwan

LuvEwan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    That was so lovely, VL. Wonderful job. :)

7. maychorian

maychorian Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 7, 2005
    Beautiful. Absolutely gorgeous.

8. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    Awwwwwwwwwwwwww

Absolutely breathtaking Kimberley! =D=

9. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    :( That was touching and so very lovely.

10. VadersMistress

VadersMistress Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 7, 2004
    Awww, very sweet. [:D]

That Obi-Wan is so thoughtful!

11. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Aww, that was so sad!!! Very nicely done :)

12. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    AWWWW!! That was so sweet!!

Excellent job! :D

13. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004

Obi-Wan is wise beyond his years and his compassion knows no boundaries.

That was brilliant.

14. Seven

Seven Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 20, 2000
    That was so incredilbly sweet. I adored it.

15. BrokenNoseOfQui-Gon

BrokenNoseOfQui-Gon Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 15, 2004
    Well that was a different take on the challenge! Of course, I immediately thought "romance" but I liked this angle better. Well done.

16. Alethia

Alethia Jedi Master star 5

Feb 13, 2005
    Aww, so sweet. Obi-Wan giving Qui-Gon flowers. I have to admit that the first thing that popped into my head was romance, but between Qui and Obi? So I read on and on and you made this work so well. What a nice fic.

17. Arwyn_Whitesun

Arwyn_Whitesun Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 13, 2002
    That was truly breathtaking. Lovely, lovely work! =D=

18. Jedi Obi-Wan

Jedi Obi-Wan Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 18, 2000
    I rediscovered the joy that was to be found in simply being alive.

So sweet! Your descriptions are amazing and beautiful. Awesome job with this!!

19. Valiowk

Valiowk Chosen One star 6

Apr 23, 2000
    Exquisite and enchanting. I'm really glad that I found this gem. :)

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  20. Star_Drifter

Star_Drifter Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 18, 2005
    Thank you for writing this lovely piece. It is well worth reading!=D=

21. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Princess_Arulmozhi Thank you! [:D]

lazykbys_left I enjoyed writing it. :D

Healer_Leona I'm glad you liked it. I think it was because your favorite Jedi got flowers. ;)

mouse2 I'm not a big flower person (I kill all things green) but the gesture says a lot. Obi-Wan knew what Qui-Gon needed.

LuvEwan [face_blush] Thank you.

maychorian I'm so glad you liked it!

Layren It was satisfying to write, so I'm glad you enjoyed it.

obi_ew [:D] Thanks!

VadersMistress Yes he is, now I need to hug him. [face_devil]

NYCitygurl Sad, but not too sad, I hope.

Miana Kenobi Thank you!

Gkilkenny That's my Obi! (Yes, MINE!) [face_shame_on_you] Everybody keep your paws off him! :)

Seven Thank you, I'm glad.

BrokenNoseOfQui-Gon I like to bend the "rules" when I can. :D

Alethia Well, it HAS been done, just not here! ;) But no, this was not romantic love.

Arwyn_Whitesun Thank you for reading. :)

Jedi Obi-Wan Thanks!

Valiowk I'm flattered. [face_blush]

Star_Drifter I'm glad you liked it and thank you for reading.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.