main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"He has too much of his father in him."

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by darthvain, May 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darthvain

darthvain Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 17, 2003
    Which leads me to believe that Anakin leaves a pregnant Padme at the Lars homestead to follow Obi-wan Kenobi on some damn fool idealistic crusade.Of course Owen doesn't agree with this. Thinking that Anakin should stay there at his pregnant wife's side and not get involved.Perhaps he believes that Anakin really does get killed in the Clone Wars therefore leaving them to raise his male child.Causing further resentment towards Obi-wan.I know what we've been told by the spoilers but what if this scene takes place near the beginning of Ep 3?Just suppose that Obi-wan returns to Tattoine afe his battle with Anakin near the end of the movie and informs everyone that Anakin was killed...Of course they dont know of his turn to the darkside or that Obi-wan supposedly kills him.He want's them to remember Anakin as a good man.Padme is distraught goes into labor,gives birth and then dies...Feel free to speculate from there because we realy don't know the real script of Ep3.

2. Jango10

Jango10 Jedi Master star 5

Sep 22, 2002
    I like it. It only has a few bugs in it. Are you saying Padme goes into labor upon hearing about the death of Anakin? I guess that makes since.

3. darthvain

Sep 17, 2003
    Yep...And that's what you call Shakespearean trajedy.

4. Razorback

Razorback Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 2, 2001
    Fans read way too much into these lines.

RB

5. overmydeadbody

overmydeadbody Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 19, 2004
    Owen and Beru only knew Anakin for like 5 minutes, and he wasn't in a talkative mood at the time. So how the hell does she know what he was like? That's what I want to know! Perhaps she just meant that he has too much of a Jedi in him.

Also, there's no way the Lars will know Anakin became Vader. Ben wouldn't tell them that because he doesn't want Luke to know. He'll just say that he was killed. The way I see it, Owen will feel resentment towards the Jedi because they took Anakin away from his mother, whom he had looked upon as a mother for ten years while Anakin was away.

6. darthvain

Sep 17, 2003
    I thought that is what I wrote?Yes it was 5 minutes in AOTC but we still have one movie left don't we?Why else would they take Luke in if they barely know his father..Why would they care?See my point grasshopper?

7. DINVADER99

DINVADER99 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 2, 2004
    When Kenobi takes Luke to the Lars, Owen probably goes on a rant about how Anakin should have never joined the Jedi in the first place.

8. Midgetsforbreakfast

Midgetsforbreakfast Jedi Master star 4

Nov 21, 2002
    "It only has a few bugs in it."

Uhhhh...I'd say it has more than just a few bugs in it. No offense, but this won't happen. We know that Padme is on Coruscant for most of Episode III. Sorry.

9. darthvain

Sep 17, 2003
    Do we now?And how do we know that?

10. Brick

Brick Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 10, 2004
    Since Owen didn't know Anakin when he joined the Jedi, I have trouble believing that he'd be upset that Ani was a Jedi... I agree with the original idea, as in he goes back to Tatooine, and Obi-Wan convinces him that there is more work to be done, and Owen tries to convince him to stay and not get involved... I think people want every OT line explained, which I don't agree with...but this one, I feel, is one that needs something more, as Obi-Wan is clear in ANH that Owen didn't think Anakin should have been involved. Some things could be left to imagination, and some things can be done between the films (the total destruction of the Jedi, save for Obi and Yoda, for example), however, this one would be hard to understand, I believe. Think about it this way: If you watch Ep1 thru 3 for the first time, and there is no more development between Anakin and Owen than has already been done in Ep2, but suddenly in Ep4 Ben is talking about "He thought he should have stayed here and not gotten involved", that'd be kinda hard to understand as a fan... It'd lose something, I believe. If this was the intention, then they at least should have had Owen run after Anakin before he and Padme went off to Geonosis, saying "Anakin, stay here with us. We could use you around this place", or something equally as lame.

In any case, won't make or break the movie for me, but it would help make it somewhat tighter if he made connections like this occassionally... Otherwise, it's simply character names that we are using to follow the continuity...

11. Darth_n00b

Darth_n00b Jedi Youngling

Mar 30, 2004
    He could have just meant he thought Anakin should have stayed with his mother instead of getting involved with the whole Jedi thing in the first place.

12. darthvain

Sep 17, 2003
    No there is definately something much deeper that caused Owen to have those feelings toward Obi-wan and Jedi in general.

13. Darth_n00b

Mar 30, 2004
    Why?

Why does a character of Owen Lar's caliber need a line of the importance you are suggesting?

No offense, but Owen is a very, very minor character. Your theory is really good and incredibly creative, but I don't think that George will spend that much time explaining the line of such an unimportant character.

Edit: Actually your theory isn't all that creative or good, I had read another thread dealing with Obi - Owen - Chewie relations before I came back and replied in this one and I got confused. Sorry for the mix up.

14. Darthette

Darthette Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 10, 2003
    Well, the pics that we've seen of Anakin and Padme together have been on Couresant (sp) and we've already been told that there was no location shooting and there's no way they could have filmed the scene in 2000. Hayden was way too thin at that point to do any scenes for III. So, I don't believe any of the signs point towards any Anakin and Padme in Tatooine scenes.

15. darthvain

Sep 17, 2003
    Because it needs to explain how the Lars family ends up raising Luke.It is a very important issue...Remember they don't meet Obi-wan until Ep3,You think he just shows up at their doorstep saying this is Anakin's child could you take him in?That's pretty poor storytelling.Besides why would they even believe Obi-wan unless Padme gives birth there?They've already met her and Anakin in AOTC.

16. darthvain

Sep 17, 2003
    But we do know that Obi-wan ends up on Tattoine with Luke at some point in Ep3 don't we? Location shooting or not.You don't think ole GL would leave that out do you?

17. Midgetsforbreakfast

Midgetsforbreakfast Jedi Master star 4

Nov 21, 2002
    "But we do know that Obi-wan ends up on Tattoine with Luke at some point in Ep3 don't we? Location shooting or not.You don't think ole GL would leave that out do you?"

Which is why background shots were done back during the filming of AOTC--so that they could have background plates for the one scene on Tatooine where Obi-Wan drops off Anakin.

And it is known that Padme is on Coruscant for most of the film. She only leaves in the latter half to go to Alderaan, and then Mustafar, then the alien planet(where the kids are born and she dies), and then finally Naboo for her funeral. Sorry, but she never sees Tatooine again. :(

18. Darth_Nastier

Darth_Nastier Jedi Youngling

Mar 28, 2004
    Owen's obligation to Luke comes from Shmi not Anakin.

He couldn't care less about his half brother.
    In fact he probaly despise him for dumping his mother and not show up for ten years.

That's ****** up.

Would you leave your mom has a slave on a desert planet for 10 years without dropping by??

Owen probably spent a good part of his teenhood with Shmi and saw her as a mother figure.
    He must have seen the pain it caused her to be separated from her son. There was probably a sadness in Shmi for being separated from her son all those years. It would have been nice to have a glimpse of it.

Hense the trouble with Obi Wan.
    Obi Wan, Qui Gon, it's all the same thing for poor Owen.
    He probably doesn't have that big an education, living on the farm and all...

Luke wants to go off on adventures just like Anakin did abandoning the ones he loves instead of being a good farm/slave boy.

And the line He has too much of his father in him.

19. Darth_n00b

Mar 30, 2004
    I wonder also why Anakin would take Padme to the Lars' in the first place.

They have a home of their "own" (Padme's apartment that Anakin visits and stays in every chance he gets.) Why would Anakin take Padme all the way to Tattooine to stay with a family she barely knows and then leave her there to run off on some "damn fool crusade?"

Padme is much too strong-willed of a character to let herself be left behind and babysat.

20. r8hitman

r8hitman Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 2004
    darthvain I understand exactly where you're coming from and this subject is VERY important, (contrary to what some believe) because if you watch these movies 1 through 6 when you get to 4 you're going to wonder why do owen and beru seem like they know so much about anakin, and obi-wan even said-"you're uncle didn't go along with your fathers ideals, he thought he should have stayed here and not gotten involved" now how would obi-wan know that? from what we've seen so far anakin didn't even know what owen thought of him. There needs to be more interaction between anakin, obi-wan, owen, padme, and beru, for this thing to tie in properly. When I first saw ANH I thought owen and anakin must have grown up together because he seemed to know so much about him, then when I saw ep.2 I said they mut spend a lot more time together in ep.3 because if that's all owen has to go on about anakin then this makes no sense at all.
    And why would obi-wan drop luke off there? They must have been visiting owen through the 3 years in between 2 and 3 or something.

Would you drop the son of the most important force user in the galaxy off with a farmer you've only heard about or only met once? [face_plain]

21. JBRO13

JBRO13 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 29, 2003
    Anakin could sense that the Lars's were good people, maybe Obi-Wan could, too, and therefore, he thought Luke would be safe with them.

This isn't a bad idea by any means, but, as has been stated, all signs point to it being unlikely.

22. Darth_Mangle

Darth_Mangle Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 9, 2004
    I'm sure Shmi told them about Anakin being so adventurous, wanting excitment and more. This you can obviously see in Luke in ANH.

If a war ravaged jedi showed up at your home bearing a child telling you that your step brother, who you hardly knew, died in battle, and that this is his child, and too take care of him....you wouldn't want the kid following that damn fool on some crazy idealistic crusade yourself? I wouldn't...

23. Darth_Mangle

Darth_Mangle Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 9, 2004
    Brick, they are probably gonna have Owen say something along the lines of "He should of stayed here with his mother, and not gotten involved". Something like that, after Obi Wan explains what happens(or whoever).

That makes sense, because if Anakin had stayed, he'd never have been discovered, and lived a peaceful life with his mother and the Lars family..

Buts its all just speculation of course.

24. r8hitman

r8hitman Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 2004
    They still need to interact with each other in this movie!
    How would owen even know that ben was called obi-wan unless he met him as obi-wan? I doubt obi-wan would have said Hi I'm Ben, but I used to be called obi-wan but never ever call me that again because I'm wanted just call me ben [face_plain]

These people are acting like they all know each other, there is no way around this. Shmi hadnt seen anakin since he was about 10 years old she doesnt know about his adventures (except him podracing what other adventures could he have on tattoine) they dont have to spend the whole movie together or nothing but they should at least say they have been visiting owen's house throughout the past few years.

25. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    They don't interact. Owen knows that Anakin is a Jedi. The crusade was going off to fight in the Clone Wars. Anakin never goes back to Tatooine and neither does Padme. Luke was left with the Lars, because it would be too dangerous to leave him with her family. Anakin told Padme that he would never go to Tatooine and that is why Luke is safer there. Anakin only went back once and that was to visit Shmi's grave, during the Clone Wars. This was mentioned in "Tatooine Ghost."

Even if Obi-wan doesn't tell Owen and Beru that Anakin became Vader, they know that Luke can use the Force and become a Jedi. That is justification enough for what Owen and Beru say, when Luke left the table.

Pablo confirmed that there will be no explaination for the Crusade in episode 3. It was already given in AOTC.

Owen will know who Obi-wan is, because Threepio mentioned his name in AOTC. There might be some dialouge, but the majority of their issues will be addressed only in ANH.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.