main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"He has too much of his father in him."

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by darthvain, May 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Mangle

Darth_Mangle Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 9, 2004
    Obviously Anakin was adventurous. I mean, hello. He loved podracing, he always wanted to be a jedi. He left with the jedi to become one...

Do you see what I'm saying...

And he doesn't have to tell them he was once obi wan kenobi. C3PO mentions it to the group on Tattoonie, when R2 recieves the distress call.

Plus its confirmed that Obi Wan uses the name Ben, and Luke ONLY knows him by the name Ben in ANH. So it doesn't matter if they know the name Obi Wan Kenobi at all..

2. r8hitman

r8hitman Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2004
    If owen can hear someone say a name from a distance, only hear it once and 20 years later hear it again and remember it then HE is the chosen one! [face_plain]

3. Darth_Mangle

Jan 9, 2004
    Owen doesn't need to know the name Obi Wan. Its quite clear that Luke ONLY KNOWS HIM by the name Ben. Thus he probably told them that his name is Ben. Why make this more complicated than it really is...Its common sense..

4. r8hitman

Mar 30, 2004
    Owen DOES need to know the name, why else did he and beru look up with so much concern when luke said it?

5. Darth_Mangle

Jan 9, 2004
    Considering he keeps the name Kenobi, they think "omg, he must be talking about ben!". EVEN more so, Luke adds "I wonder if hes refering to Old Ben".

Yes, I've seen ANH enough to know the lines too.

My statement is NOT debunked.

6. r8hitman

Mar 30, 2004
    Darth_mangle, before we get off of the topic (which was the lars family knowing anakin) do you really think it would "hurt" ep.3 if someone made a reference to anakin going back to tattoine from time to time during the wars to visit the family (or his mothers grave and just stopping by the lars home) not saying that it's NECESSARY but that it would just explain a little more about them knowing more about anakin as a person? ;)

7. NoCloneTheories

NoCloneTheories Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 22, 2003
    "He Has Too Much of His Father In Him: The Blanket Jackson Story"

8. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Padme: "Artoo, what are you doing here?"

Threepio: "He says he's carrying a message from an Obi-wan Kenobi. Master Anakin, does that name mean anything to you?"

Owen heard that. He was standing right there. When Obi-wan shows up, he introduces himself and Owen makes the connection.

9. r8hitman

Mar 30, 2004
    He remembers a name he heard "once" three years earlier but cant remember a protocol droid with the same name and # he lived with for "ten" years? (C-3po) :oops:

before anybody says it:
    If he remembered c-3po I'm quite sure he wouldnt have bought him.

10. elfdart

elfdart Jedi Grand Master star 3

Apr 1, 2001
    Another point: Whenever there's a funeral (I've had to attend WAY too many in the last three years.), what do grieving relatives do? Sit around and talk... and talk... and talk...

Shmi wasn't buried immediately. The funeral was the next day. What do you think Anakin, Padme, Owen, Beru and Cliegg did all day? Don't you think Owen and Beru heard all they needed to about Anakin? Since Anakin and Padme didn't even try to keep Anakin's confession secret, don't you think the Lars family might have heard at least part of it?

Even if they didn't, let's recap. Anakin shows up out of the blue to vistit his mom. He immediately runs off in the desert to find her. He brings her back dead after the massacre of Tuskens. He then storms off after Obi-Wan Kenobi.

Do you think the Lars' had a favorable impression of Anakin Skywalker or Obi-Wan after that? Do you think that opinion will change if Ben shows up on their doorstep with Lil' Orphan Annie (sorry :p) and news that Anakin and Padme are both dead? No wonder Owen wants nothing to do with him -and wants Luke to have nothing to do with him, either!

Unlike some fans, the characters in SW can put two and two together.

11. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    He remembers a name he heard "once" three years earlier but cant remember a protocol droid with the same name and # he lived with for "ten" years? (C-3po)

I'm sorry, when did Threepio give his name to Owen? When did Luke say that his name was Threepio to Owen? I've watched ANH many times and have read the script and novelization. I can't find it.

12. r8hitman

Mar 30, 2004
    elfdart: :D good point, but I still would like to hear about anakin visiting his mothers grave or something, remember he cant seem to let go of his feelings which is leading him right to the darkside.

Darth-Sinister: Ya got me! [:D]

13. DarthSweetRolla

DarthSweetRolla Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 9, 2004
    I agree w whoever said there is something deeper to the line refering to Owens beliefs about Ani. It can't be about when Ani first left. Given the fact that he was a slave at the time and the future of being freed looked dim, ANI leavind w/ QGJ was the best option. So owen coudn't be refering to that.

14. elfdart

elfdart Jedi Grand Master star 3

Apr 1, 2001
    That assumes Owen believes what you believe: that running off with the Jedi was his best option. Owen might have made up his own mind that Jedi are trouble and bad news for his family.

15. Darth_Seraphim

Darth_Seraphim Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 7, 2003
    "He Has Too Much of His Father In Him: The Blanket Jackson Story"

Thats ignorant! Youre being ignorant Blanket

16. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    /\

[face_laugh]

I agree with elfdart. They spent the night at the homestead and I'm sure got to know each other at least a little bit. I'm sure Anakin mentioned Obi-Wan and his life as a Jedi too. ;)

17. kenwastinger

kenwastinger Jedi Master star 5

Mar 29, 2004
    I agree, "Some Damned fool idealistic crusade" was the Clone Wars, which they new Anakin was a part of. Probably appearing on the Holo Net news every evening was our champion, Anakin.

However in their eyes, the Clone Wars and the Jedi lead the galaxy into rule of the Empire, so even though they may not know Anakin is Vader, they have been told that he and the Jedi are traitors, and responsible for the deaths of millions.

What do you think people would do if Bush Jr. or Tony Blair came on TV and said "The LA Lakers, and Manchester United have been convicted of trying to assassinate the Pope" People would FREAK OUT, and hunt down the Lakers, and Manchester. Same thing w/ the Jedi between III and IV.

That's the chip on the shoulder that Owen is carrying. Of course, in addition, he's a burned out farmer w/ a son he didn't ask for, and another mouth to water in the blistering son c/o of a hot headed traitor/assassin whom he has seen for 10 minutes, and every night on the news.

18. darthvain

darthvain Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 17, 2003
    "He didn't hold with your father's ideals."And why would Anakin take Padme to Tatooine ....Safety.This is the Outer Rim remember?Tatooine is not so affected by the War or the Republic for that matter.Unlike Coruscant or Naboo which is right in the thick of it!Throughout these episodes we are told that Tattoine is a safe haven or hideout for those who do not wish to be found.

19. Naberrie_SkyWalker

Naberrie_SkyWalker Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 30, 2002
    as plausible as the idea....no, this isnt gonna happen.
    Padme is on Courscant for most of the movie..she is one of the senators who are fighting with Palps to get him to give up emergency powers.
    When things go bad we assume Obi takes her to Aldaraan
    for safety and it would seem she leaves there to go try and save Anakin.
    Now the babies birth is a little hazy, will go with most people and say there is a new planet with grey aliens where she delivers babies..she dies around this point for whatever reason and twins are seperated.
    Now her getting to Naboo for furneral I still havent figured out..but it seems from all sources that she is buried there at a funeral attended by her family, new Queen of naboo, handmaidens, and naboo dignitaries including Sio Bibble.

I do think that Obi and Owen have more of a conversation than "this is Luke, take care of him". Owen definatly gives the impression in ANH that he knows something that makes Beru's statemeent something other than a compliment. Now it could just be that Owen thinks anakin was wrong to leave his mother all those years ago, but IMO Shmi would have made it clear she almsot MADE him go...it wasnt totally Anakin's choice *people seem to forget that part of TPM* so Owen wouldnt feel so strongly about that I dont think. No,, I think Obi tells him something during III that leads to his "thats what i'm afraid of" observstion, and Obi's "he didnt hold with your fathers ideals" statement later on.

20. Tion_Meddon

Tion_Meddon Jedi Master star 4

May 18, 2004

The Official Site has said that everything to do with Anakin joining Obi-wan on a crazy crusade and Owen not agreeing with this, and everything Owen knew about Anakin, and all that stuff mentioned in Episode 4 ALREADY TOOK PLACE IN EPISODE II, NONE OF IT WILL BE EXPANDED IN EPISODE III.

21. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    I agree, "Some Damned fool idealistic crusade" was the Clone Wars, which they new Anakin was a part of. Probably appearing on the Holo Net news every evening was our champion, Anakin.

Anakin has become a rockstar poster boy hero in the Clone Wars. His actions are meant to be of legend. -PH

Luke: "You fought in the Clone Wars?"

I think that's about right.

22. darthvain

Sep 17, 2003
    If all of that took place in Aotc then that sucks.Talk about poor storytelling!

23. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    Maybe they still keep in touch with them. Maybe by holo or something every once in a while. o_O

24. Skyw@lker

Skyw@lker Jedi Youngling star 1

May 7, 2000
    Padme had too much of Luke's father in her also.

25. darthvain

Sep 17, 2003
    Ok let's keep ths thread clean folks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.