main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"He has too much of his father in him."

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by darthvain, May 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zippypop

zippypop Jedi Youngling star 2

May 28, 2004
    I think most holes will be filled, there will be some left the more we analize them.

GreedoOfRhodes mentioned a 3 minute scene on Tatooine.

I may be wrong but isn't it possible the scene could be longer, if they film an indoor scene at the Homestead. When they where filming in Tunisia for AotC, George said he was filming 1 scene for EP III, I think this just involves what happens outside the home, they could have scenes inside that don't need the desert background. The dialog in these indoor scenes on Tatooine could possibly explain a whole lot more. A conversation around the diner table perhaps?

2. Winterfrost

Winterfrost Jedi Master star 2

Sep 26, 2003
    I'd be surprised if Lucas shot anything more than some background plates in Tunsia. He can digitally create any setting he wants at this point, so I don't think the 3 minute scene can't be used as an indicator for anything.

I think most of Owen and Beru's comments can be attributed to their impression of Anakin based on their brief exposure to him. These humble moisture farmers simply can't relate to the star-hopping adventurer who blew in and out of their life, but he left a memorable impression.

They raise Luke as their own, but when he begins showing an adventurous streak, the comparison to his father is obvious. This scares Owen because Luke is the only family he has left!

Obi-Wan's comments about Owen could be attributed to a number of things, but I think the only thing that needs to be addressed on-screen is some sort of meeting between them to indicate they know each other and that Obi-Wan will "be around." Viewers can connect the dots about off-screen happenings based on a few on-screen lines. Even though we are given no information about what has happened to the characters between ANH and ESB, we look at the "tension" between Han and Leia, remember the beginnings of that tension in ANH and fill in the blanks as to what "might" have happened based on what we know of their characters.

3. darthvain

darthvain Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 17, 2003
  4. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Lucas already got his plate shot for episode 3, when they were in Tunisia in 2000. Well, technically it was just a scene filmed of the exterior shot of the farm. All interior shots of the farm were either built in Sydney or they'll cover it in the UK.

5. severian28

severian28 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 1, 2004
    To me this has always been pretty obvious, but I have been wrong before. Anyway the way I always thought of it was that Ben Kenobi shows up at the Lars homestead with a baby, tells Owen that Anakin was killed in the clone wars, and Owens' response was that Anakin should have never left Tatooine in the first place - if Kenobi furthers the conversation to include that he fought with Anakin in the clone wars then Owen will assume that his step brother was under the influence of this Jedi who was about 15 years older than him and he wasnt going to make the mistake of allowing his nephew to be lead down a similar path. The minute Luke mentions Obi-Wan Kenobi its pretty obvious that at least Beru thinks that Lukes' day's on Tatooine are coming to an end.

6. darthvain

darthvain Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 17, 2003
    Right on the money!!!!!!!!

7. r8hitman

r8hitman Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2004
    This is a very interesting topic.

I think that some time during the movie obi-wan and anakin should discuss their frequent trips back to tattoine, Just like they did at the beginning of AOTC when they were talking about some of their past adventures. Because otherwise how would obi-wan know about owen and beru and more importantly how would owen and beru know so much about anakin's personality?

8. Darth_Turok

Darth_Turok Jedi Youngling

Apr 30, 2005
  9. battlewars

battlewars Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 5, 2005
    i like old posts, because it reminds me how much fun it was to guess about what would happen in the prequels

10. KaneRobot

KaneRobot Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 5, 2005
    You were wrong.

11. Darth_Turok

Darth_Turok Jedi Youngling

Apr 30, 2005
    Old post are cool

12. Jager

Jager Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 22, 2005
    Except for speculation, is there any evidence that we don't know Lars/Beru know Luke is Vader's son. I've always taken the line "he has too much of his father in him" very straighforwardly...they know how bad Luke's father(Vader/Anakin) is.

13. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Because otherwise how would obi-wan know about owen and beru and more importantly how would owen and beru know so much about anakin's personality?

It's talked about in the eu, not in the film. When Obi-wan mentions taking Luke to the Lars, we're left to assume that Anakin told him why he was on Tatooine. Though not what happened after he found her body. We're not even sure what they're talking about. For all we know, it could be the fact that they know that Luke will become a Jedi.

Except for speculation, is there any evidence that we don't know Lars/Beru know Luke is Vader's son. I've always taken the line "he has too much of his father in him" very straighforwardly...they know how bad Luke's father(Vader/Anakin) is.

They know that he is Anakin's son, obviously. I don't think Obi-wan ever told them what really happened to Anakin. Outside of speculation, there's been nothing solid in the eu or commentary from Lucas. Just that they knew that Luke was destined for greater things.

"It's very clear from the beginning here, that Luke's fate, even when the aunt and uncle are talking, is not to stay on the farm. A future that's just not in him, his destiny lies in a grander scheme of things. Even they know that. I mean they know it for other reasons, that we don't know about yet."
    -- George Lucas

14. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    I'm kinda glad it didn't turn out like this. ;)

15. Cantina_Owner

Cantina_Owner Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 20, 2003
    I assumed so considering they met Anakin already. If word got out he killed women and children over there, which he seemed to say without too much worry to padme, they might know he's kind of an a-hole. Maybe not vader, but at least a hot-head.

16. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    According to "Dark Lord: The Rise Of Darth Vader" and the official site, the galaxy was told that Anakin Skywalker was killed during the Jedi Purge by Darth Vader. I think that's what Obi-wan told Owen and Beru.

17. mynameismyown

mynameismyown Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 7, 2005
    lucas didnt cover this, we can try to fill in all the potholes after the fact and try to make a smoother road but really lucas shouldve done it himself

18. inkswamp

inkswamp Jedi Master star 3

Oct 14, 2004
    really lucas shouldve done it himself

Why? I don't understand the attitude that unless it's explicitly shown on film, it's a problem. It's done all the time. Just because we have most of the back story now doesn't change that not everything will be spelled out. How anyone can watch a film or read a book and not understand that a great deal of what we know about characters is established via inferences and references to background events is totally beyond me.

19. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    There's only so much you can pack into a movie a little over 2 hours...

And to be honest, I kinda like having all these different forms of media for stories to be continued and expanded on...the books, graphic novels, vidoegames and so on. Not everything has to be laid out black and white on the big screen, especially side issues like this one.

20. Obi_Frans

Obi_Frans Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    "He died about the same time as your father"
    "Darth Vader betrayed and murdered your father"
    "Obi-Wan Kenobi? Surely he must be dead by now"

It seems obvious to me, without the novels/games, that the general concensus is that both Anakin Skywalker and Obi-Wan died when the Jedi were betrayed. Of course Obi was talking from his infamous point of view; but coupled with Owen's comment it represents a overall view of Anakin.

- O_F

21. Get_in_Gear

Get_in_Gear Jedi Youngling star 5

Nov 29, 2004
    In ANH, Beru is clearly a cannibal.
    The meal she has just prepared for Luke was actually Anakin's Skywalker's barbecued limbs, which had been in the Lars freezer since they were salvaged form Mustafar.
    She bought them from the Jawas.

It is traditional for farmers on Tatooine to eat a hearty meal a day, usually consisting of another human's flesh.
    When Luke leaves the table prematurely without finishing his meal - he is pretty much proving he is not cut out for the life his foster parents want for him.
    Hence Beru says: "Luke just isn't a farmer Owen - He has too much of his father in him", refering to the fact that Luke is full after just a few nibbles at the braised Anakin steaks.

I can't believe this wasn't EXPLAINED in ROTS.
    AND I'm going to cap up WORDS to stress how full of BILE I am on this point!!!

Now Lucas has CHANGED his intentions and made Beru's words like some figure of speech - that she is suggesting Luke is gripped by the same wanderlust that his father was.

LAME!!!!

IT IS A MASSIVE PLOT HOLE!!!!

22. Three-Eight

Three-Eight Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 28, 2005
  23. Obi_Frans

Obi_Frans Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    LOL, that's signature-material

24. Roger Goldleader

Roger Goldleader Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 1, 2000
    It's pretty obvious to me that any and all contintuity problems in the SW saga are solved by having the various characters lie to each other and themselves.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the only character in the saga who is trustworthy and dependable is Luke.

25. Jedi-Queen

Jedi-Queen Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 16, 2005
    "but I believe the only character in the saga who is trustworthy and dependable is Luke."

What about Leia, Han and even Chewie.
    Hell even R2 has been both of those haha.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.