"He has too much of his father in him."

Discussion in 'Revenge of the Sith' started by darthvain, May 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roger Goldleader Force Ghost

star 3
    What about Leia, Han and even Chewie.
    Hell even R2 has been both of those haha.

Leia's a politician - she's on a "diplomatic mission," remember?

Han is a pirate, lives outside the law. At the very least, he lied to Greedo about "going to get" the money he owed Jabba.

Chewie doesn't really get an opportunity to reveal his character for truthfulness, but he does hang around Han, so he may just be guilty by association.

And yes, R2 is dependable, but he's capable of deception. Take off the restraining bolt, and I'll play back the message! Also, it is interesting how much R2 knows that he doesn't tell anyone - so the scene with 3PO telling the stories to the Ewoks is now slightly ironic - R2 knows much more than 3PO could ever tell.

Granted, the "white lies" in SW are often told to save or protect oneself or others, and in the context of the story we accept their motives.
  2. r8hitman Force Ghost

star 4
    There's only so much you can pack into a movie a little over 2 hours...

Well instead of wasting time talking about "how many Obi-Wan owes Anakin" they could have simply mentioned the Lars' family and their visits to Tatooine.

It's not that difficult and could have easily been accomplished.

I dont know why people keep acting like it requires 30 minutes of a movie to explain. This all could have been done in a matter of seconds.

example
    RockyIII:
    Apollo shows up at Rocky's gym in Philly.

How did he know where it was?

Apollo: "I waited at your house for an hour then your wife told me you might be here".

^^That was a simple easy quick explanation that explained how Apollo knew where to find Rocky.
    Didnt take long, didnt take too much out of the actors and didnt distract from the story.

WHY COULDNT LUCAS HAVE DONE SOMETHING SOOOO SIMPLE??o_O

EDIT:
    People need to stop saying "why should he explain it.....OBVIOUSLY it took place offscreen"

B***S***

Most other movies give you quick little explanations. Especially something that defines the turning point in the entire saga.

Now who painted C-3po might not be that important, but Luke going to the Lars family should have had every little hole covered.

Lucas slipped up with this one IMO.

(unless of course he explains it in the series)

3. OutlawYoda Jedi Master

star 4
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] HAHAHAHAHAHAHHA!!!!!!!!!! I will never look at the scene the same way again!!!!
  4. Jedi-Queen Jedi Master

star 4
    Why did GL have to do something that simple?
    Are we so obtuse and unimaginative that we can't come to
    the conclusions on our own regarding off-screen actions.
  5. r8hitman Force Ghost

star 4
    Yup.

If I wanted to use MY OWN imagination, I would have sat down and created MY OWN story.
    Lucas is just lazy.

:p
  6. Leias_love_slave Jedi Grand Master

star 5

Hey! I love Rocky III!:)

(Mustafar)

Anakin (angrily): You were always holding me back!

Obi Wan: Holding you back? You know, Anakin, you're like a crazy brother to me. You really are. So I wanna tell you somethin'. And this is comin' straight from the heart. You aren't being held back. And you aren't a loser. You're just a jealous...lazy...bum.

Anakin: Okay, that's it! I'm gonna break your mouth!!

(sabers ignite and fight ensues)

7. Get_in_Gear Jedi Youngling

star 5
    Obi-Wan: "I waited at your house for an hour then your wife told me you might be here".

Nah - doesn't work!

8. r8hitman Force Ghost

star 4

[face_laugh]
  9. R2QT Jedi Knight

star 1
    The best explanation I think for the fact that Luke is sent to live with Owen & Beru is that Obi Wan and Yoda may not actually be clear about who Anakin's "family" is on Tatooine, neither having met them. They may have understood that Luke had an extended family on Tatooine and assumed this meant some blood relatives, eg. cousins, or at least a step-brother with whom he had been raised until TPM. This clears up the problem some might have in understanding why Luke is sent to Tatooine when most people would not consider the Lars to be "related" in any way Anakin.
    My father remarried after I was an adult, I've met his wife's children and grandchildren only at the wedding and as we all live so far apart I couldn't even tell you their names. If my father died and 3 years later one of my "step" sisters or brothers asked me to adopt their child, I can't even think of serious response to that question it is so implausible.

This could have been illustrated in the film by having Yoda ask Kenobi if Luke had family and Kenobi not being 100% sure but thinking he had some on Tatooine. I think this may actually be in the novel as I remeber discussing this issue before, and some saying that.

As far as what the Lars knew of Anakin's fate, doesn't it seem likely that Kenobi would have visited the Lars frequently at first, then as Owen & Beru's attachment to their child grew, paternal instincts would have led to a falling out with Kenobi especially if Owen believed ObiWan wished to train Luke to become a jedi. While relations were still cordial ObiWan would have no doubt talked of Anakin's heroic deeds and his personality. Whether he would have skipped the Vader part...I think probably so.
  10. inkswamp Jedi Knight

star 3
    Get_in_Gear: Your humor will go down in the history of Jedi Council Forums.

r8hitman: This all could have been done in a matter of seconds.

True, but...

1) It's irrelevant to the story or the current events in the film so why try to shoehorn that kind of thing into the conversations when you can use it to flesh the characters out in other directions?

2) It's boring and anal-retentive. This is the kind of stuff that people got so annoyed with TPM for, constantly having to explain everything, too many scenes of characters blathering on about things that would have been just fine being left vague.

3) Lucas probably assumes rightly that most of us can deal with things being implied like that. It's called not talking down to the audience.

4) 30 seconds would be fine for this issue, but then take into account that every hardcore fan seems to have his own little pet issue that "needed to be resolved." If you resolve one, then you should resolve them all and those 30 seconds start to add up after a while. Frankly, I think a 3.5-hour Sith with lots of additional tidbits to clarify trivial issues would have been a snooze.

5) Some of us like things being left open to interpretation. I've said it before and I'll say it again, an artist can leave things vague or unanswered for a reason. The surrealist painter Rene Magritte called that "the void" and said weaker artists were fearful of it.
  11. darth-sinister Manager Emeritus

star 10
    Obi-wan knew about Tatooine because he knows that Anakin went there in AOTC. He knows that his mother died and that there was still family there. That's why Luke was left with them. Please, before you jump to conclusions, think. AOTC already cleared it up.
  12. Greedo_forever Jedi Knight

star 3
    WELLLLLL....

It seems that Anakin confides in ObiWan and Yoda. It is so hard to imagine that he told his mentors what had happened in AOTC? I'm sure that they wanted to know WHY he left Naboo and went to Tatooine.

Imagine this scene at the end of AOTC:

ObiWan:"So, my apprentice, why DID you leave Naboo?"

Anakin:"I had to save my mom. She was being tortured by sand people."

ObiWan:"I hate those guys. So what happened?"

Anakin (after a long, sinister pause): "I... Killed them all. Oh yeah, and I met my stepfather and step brother, the Lars family."

ObiWan (looking awkward): "Oookay. See ya."
  13. Leias_love_slave Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Thank you for that very interesting reference, inkswamp. That's one I'll take to heart and try very hard not to forget.:)
  14. darth-sinister Manager Emeritus

star 10
    They don't know about the Tusken Slaughter. They just know that he went to check on his mother and found out that she had died. Padme would've covered for him. Owen doesn't want Luke to become a Jedi like his father, but Beru knows that it will happen sooner or later.
  15. Greedo_forever Jedi Knight

star 3
    Palpatine knows about what happened with the sand people. Why wouldn't Obi Wan know?
  16. SSIntimidator Jedi Master

star 4
    why would Anakin tell obi-wan he slaughtered innocents?
  17. mynameismyown Jedi Youngling

star 3
    kind of off topic but do you think people will ever accept the 6 films as one saga or will there always be this nitpicking on how the trilogies fit together?
  18. Drac39 Chosen One

star 6
    There will all ways be nit picking

19. DarthPoojaNaberrie Force Ghost

star 5
    Yes, I've always wondered just what Obi-Wan was told about what went down on Tatooine. I'm sure he wasn't told about the Tusken slaughter, but was he told about Shmi's death? You can assume he was, but it is never stated, so ultimately we don't know.
  20. r8hitman Force Ghost

star 4
    r8hitman
  21. Greedo_forever Jedi Knight

star 3
    Frankly we don't know how much Obi Wan knows about the sand people. I personally assume that he knows, because Anakin told Palpatine and Padme. Anakin showed remorse for what he had done, so who knows? Maybe he repented to the Order. Everyone makes mistakes. Or maybe Anakin didn't tell anyone about the women and children he murdered, just everything else.

Speculation... Speculation...

Frankly, I'm fine with the crew who don't mind NOT having it spelled out for them. I can think of whatever scenerios I want- like I used to about the "Duel", back in the 80's.

THat is, until someone proves otherwise...
  22. Hou-nom Jek Jedi Knight

star 3
    The talk about Anakin saving Ben's life is in no way irrelevant. It displayed the relationship and friendship the two had developed over the past 3 years. In that scene, you could see how close they were as friends/partners.
  23. r8hitman Force Ghost

star 4
    That was the entire purpose of the elevator scene in AOTC.

Go back and listen to the commentary in AOTC...that scene wasnt even in the original cut, Lucas added it later just for THAT purpose....so why do it again in ROTS???o_O

It was redundant and unnecessary....he could have put the Obi/Anakin/Owen/Beru relationship in there instead.
  24. darth-sinister Manager Emeritus

star 10
    Anakin told Padme because he was in love with her and wanted her comfort. Anakin told Palpatine because they're friends. Anakin didn't tell Obi-wan because he was afraid that he would be kicked out of the Order for what he did. Which he would've been. At the very least, not be allowed to become a Knight.
  25. JMN77 Jedi Youngling

star 3
    I personally don't think it was completely unnecessary to re-establish thier relationship in ROTS because it was almost an entirely different kind of relationship. It's not really on the level of "Boss" (Obi-Wan) and "Underling" (Anakin) anymore. It's basically just a "partnership" now... true love between them and all. But now that I think about it I don't think the difference in thier relationship comes across all that well in just those 2 isolated scenes. They are both just talk of Ani saving Obi's rear... basically.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.