"He has too much of his father in him."

Discussion in 'Revenge of the Sith' started by darthvain, May 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. r8hitman Force Ghost

star 4
    But now that I think about it I don't think the difference in thier relationship comes across all that well in just those 2 isolated scenes. They are both just talk of Ani saving Obi's rear... basically.

Exactly.

It wasnt important. We could have listened to a quick 30 second story about their trips back and forth to Tattoine in that time.

or even heard obi-wan say..."9 times, that time you saved me and your brother Owen on Tattoine, doesnt count" or something to that effect.

See this was not that hard to do.[face_shame_on_you]
  2. morpha2 Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    Why is the backstory so contentious? The Lars family clearly feels indebted to the Skywalker family, partly because of what Anakin did for Clieg in AOTC, but also, surely, because of how close they probably felt to Shmi after upwards of 10 years together prior to her abduction. In fact, "indebted" is probably the wrong word--they're family now.
  3. darth-sinister Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Again, it's covered.

Obi-wan: "Maybe we can contact Anakin on Naboo. It's much closer. Anakin, Anakin, do you copy? This is Obi-Wan Kenobi. Anakin? He's not on Naboo, Arfour. I'm going to try and widen the search. I hope nothing's happened to him. That's Anakin's tracking signal all right, but it's coming from Tatooine. What in the blazes is he doing there? I told him to stay on Naboo."

Obi-wan knows that Anakin went to Tatooine. He knows about his mother being there. Anakin would have told Obi-wan why he went there and thus know that his mother is dead, but was living with the Lars. He just wouldn't tell him that he killed a bunch of Tuskens in anger and hate.
  4. JMN77 Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Yeah, good point:)
  5. Get_in_Gear Jedi Youngling

star 5
    It wasn't hard to do, in fact Lucas made it far easier by doing it the way he chose to.
    I know why Obi-Wan knows about the Lars just from watching the films.
    Everyone else seems to know - so what is the problem?
    The example of a possible line mentioning the Lars is just messy and unnecssary.
    The camaraderie between Obi and Ani needs to be stressed time and time again, because the audience - through pure necessity - has been following Anakin and seeing some of the dubious things he's been up to.
    We have to be reminded, because it is important that we don't start thinking: "well, I don't know why you bother with that lad, Obi - he's just a little brat. He gets married behind the order's back, he slaughters Tuskens... I can't see why you are friends with him."

Whereas messy conversations about Obi having some kind of relationship with the Lars is surplas to requirement.
    1) He doesn't have a relationship with them anyway - he just knows that Anakin has family on Tatooine and 2) As Sinister points out - it is explained in AOTC how Obi knows about Ani's trip to Tatooine.
    The details are not important, just that Obi knows that the Lars exist and are the only family the twins have left come the end of ROTS.
    Furthermore, adding the line of dialogue you suggest still doesn't explain anything.
    It is just another line showing that Obi knows about the Lars - which his line at the end of ROTS establishes just as adequately - it doesn't explain how specifically he knows of Anakin's family situation.
    This obviously happens following AOTC and is irrelavent.
    Luke ends up with the Lars because they are Anakin's only family - that is all that matters.
  6. TheCRZA Jedi Master

star 4
    Not to mention that Padme was there on Tattooine and knew what happened.
    C-3PO was also there and knew much of what happened. He left with
    Padme and Anakin and probably spilled the beans as well.

I'm not sure why this is a bone of contention...
  7. r8hitman Force Ghost

star 4

[face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]
  8. DarthPoojaNaberrie Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    So Anakin told Obi-Wan his mother died? And if yes, did he tell him that she was killed by sandpeople? He must've wondered why she died. And then if he told him that, Obi-Wan might have wanted a little bit of information about how Anakin found out about her kidnapping and the circumstances surrounding his finding her.

I just want to know too much. :p
  9. R2QT Jedi Knight

star 1
    I agree that a couple of lines in the movie wouldn't clear up why Luke was sent to live with the Lars family, a "family" Anakin only met one time. Did he know if Clieg was a good husband? He purchased her as a slave. He seems like a nice guy but how does Anakin know Clieg isn't just scared because he has a gigantic ship parked outside his home, with two very impressive guests, one being a pissed off jedi looking for his mother who's under Clieg's protection.
    As far as being Anakin's family, they're not his family. It's an old man who bought and eventually married his mother. It would make as much sense to give Luke to Watto if Shmi had been abducted by sandpeople from him instead of Clieg. Even if someone can't grasp the idea that when people marry later in life their adult children don't all suddenly become "related", the Lars connection to Luke can't compete with the blood family he has on Naboo, a grandfather, a grandmother, an aunt, and at least two cousins. These are people who could tell Luke about his mother with real knowledge, not as someone they'd only met one time.
  10. Force-Keeper Force Ghost

star 5
    "These are good people, Padmè. You'll be safe." -- Anakin

So, he met him once, big deal. Anakin knew Cliegg had good intentions by getting Shmi out of a slave?s life and bringing her to his home to be loved as his wife. Anakin can tell that Cliegg is a warmhearted and honest guy. He also believes Cliegg's story about the Tuskins kidnapping her because it coincides with the dreams he's been having.

But they really are his family. Regardless of how Cliegg and Shmi met, Cliegg is Anakin's step dad and Owen is his step brother, there's no question about it. Give Luke to Watto, there's a good idea. Watto would end up losing the kid in a bet within the first week of having him.:p

They couldn?t bring Luke to Naboo. The point is to keep the twins a secret from the Sith. The last thing Obi-Wan and Yoda want to do is reveal the kids to Padmè?s family and risk the chance of people finding out she had kids.
  11. darth-sinister Manager Emeritus

star 9
    It was covered in a Jedi Quest book published shortly after AOTC was released. Obi-wan and Anakin have a talk about why he took Padme to Tatooine, when he told him to stay on Naboo. Anakin tells him what happened, but does not explain everything. Just enough to keep Obi-wan from probing further. When Jedi are made aware of a change in status with the families of one of their own, their is an update in their files. This was talked about in "The Captive Temple". That's why Yoda knew about Anakin's family being on Tatooine, still and why he would tell Obi-wan to take him there. Artoo probably provided the location.
  12. R2QT Jedi Knight

star 1
    Apparently Padme needed reassuring before spending a night alone with them.

If someone "purchased" your mother and then married her, do really think you'd feel like that man was your family? And I'm thinking after watching ROTS that judge of character isn't one of Anakin's strengths.

They couldn?t bring Luke to Naboo. The point is to keep the twins a secret from the Sith. The last thing Obi-Wan and Yoda want to do is reveal the kids to Padmè?s family and risk the chance of people finding out she had kids.[/quote]

Her sister couldn't fake a pregnancy? Or say they were the maid's kids? I don't think Vader ever stopped in to visit the in-laws after Padme's death. I would be just as worried about him visiting his mother's grave at some point. Even Dr. Doom tried to bring his mother back from the netherworld. ;) Vader doesn't seem to sense Luke or Leia on the Death Star. The fact that they're twins might really throw off any suspicion as Vader apparently never knew this.
  13. neutralsideforce Jedi Master

star 4
    No parking tickets please! Harrison Ford could be back to play Han Solo's father for the tv series.
  14. millenniumteacher Jedi Knight

star 2
    Okay you are right that Owen and Beru knew Ani for only a few days, however this line could mean that Luke is just like his father in the sense he wants more than a farm boy life and he is whiny.
  15. voodoopuuduu Classic Trilogy Trivia Host

Game Host
    star 5
    however this line could mean that Luke is just like his father in the sense he wants more than a farm boy life and he is whiny.

Maybe Owen went into town and talked to Watto. Lukes acting like a whiny slave, like his father did. :D
  16. darth-sinister Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Better safe than sorry. Luke was safely tucked away and with good people, both by Anakin and Padme's own admission. Qui-gon told Obi-wan that Vader will never go back to Tatooine, because it will cause the good in him to resurface and he cannot let that happen. Shmi is Anakin Skywalker's mother. Not Darth Vader. Darth Vader has no family. He has himself and Emperor Palpatine.
  17. DON_QUITO12 Jedi Youngling

star 1
    I don't know where do you come up with this idea of Anakin leaving Padme pregnant at the Lars homestead, if you are refering to that scene of Episode II where they arrived to search for Anakin's mother...

If this was true, then both twins should have been born during the Clone Wars, and not 3 years after, as it really happened...

My guess is that Owen never expected to meet Anakin, knowing that Jedi must sever their family ties. When Anakin arrived on Tatooine, Owen had mixed feelings about his more wordly relation who left his own mother to become a Jedi.

What Ben tries to say to Luke is that Owen didn't hold with Anakin's ideals and that Anakin should have stay in Tatooine and not getting involved since the beginning (refering to the fact of leaving his mother to become a Jedi Knight). Later, Ben told Luke that he had something for him and that his father wanted him to have it when he was old enough, but his uncle wouldn't allow it, because he feared Luke following old Obi Wan on some damned-fool idealistic crusade, like learning in the ways of the force to become a Jedi and destroy the Emperor and his Empire...

On the other hand, after 19 years, Owen could have figured out from Obi Wan, who lived at Jundland Wastes for two decades, that Anakin did turned to dark side and that he died... Obi Wan was sure that the good man who was in Anakin died by the end of the Clone Wars... And Owen didn't want that Luke had the same fate as his father... That's why he kept Luke away from the truth and revealed to him that his father was a navigator on a space freighter and that Obi Wan had died about the same time as Anakin...

God!!! It's all right there...
  18. DON_QUITO12 Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Obi Wan really knew about the Lars at Tatooine... It is very clear, just as someone here mentioned it, he tracked Anakin's signal coming from Tatooine: "What the blazes is he doing there..."

Later, during the 3 year gap, Obi Wan knew about Anakin's family living in Tatooine and that they were good people, like Anakin told to Padme...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.