main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

He is dead (just say it) (SBS Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jag, Dec 24, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Auburn514

Auburn514 Jedi Youngling

Jan 15, 2002
    I think Anakin is gone, but what if he had one of those spiritual experiences like Obi Wan when he died?

2. Tahiri

Tahiri Jedi Master star 4

Apr 9, 2001
    Lol...Palpy, you just contradicted yourself. You said that "science fiction" is still "science fiction" and that its not possible to recreate someone out of tissues.

Science fiction is absolutely anything and everything the authors make it. The boundaries of THIS world doesn't affect theirs. Our definition of "science" does not apply to the things written of the genre.

Have you ever read Frankenstein? And no, the movie doesn't count as it is absolutely untrue to the actual book. Here's what happens in the book: There's no science to it, AT ALL. It just happens. Mary Shelley writes that Victor Frankenstein, the creator of the monster, found the secret of life and used it to bring something, a human, to life. Period. Not one drip of science in it. Mary Shelley's point in her novel was NOT "creating life is wrong" but the relationship between a creator and a creation. Future advice: do not make references to things if you are not using them correctly or don't understand them completely, or they'll fire back on you. And it ticks me off. And it's called "science fiction."

Here's the dictionary definition of "science fiction":

A literary or cinematic genre in which fantasy, typically based on speculative scientific discoveries or developments, environmental changes, space travel, or life on other planets, forms part of the plot or background.

If you believe that it "doesn't feel right" then by all means, that's your opinion. But Star Wars is science fiction, and trust me, any sort of resurrection IS, undisputably, "science fiction."

Sorry if I sounded harsh, but I don't like it when people dismiss things without good reason... :mad:

3. Jedi_Anakin_Solo

Jedi_Anakin_Solo Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 27, 2001
    I am getting sick and tired of people saying that bringing him back would be "unrealistic"!!!!
    If you can explain to me how hyperdrive, a galaxy full of humans just like us, and the Force itself are realistic, I *might* take you seriously, but until then, remember: YOU ARE READING *SCIENCE FICTION*.

4. Mcily_Nochi

Mcily_Nochi Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 23, 2001
    *scrambled out from under the table* I agree, J_A_S. I seriously don't think they would kill him. But maybe I'm in denial. *ponders that* But I've never done the denial thing before in my life . . .

JADES-FIRE: LOl, I don't have an Anakin out there. Not that I'd say no if one came along . . . ;)

Hey! I'm a Trekkie! And proud of it!

5. Tahiri

Apr 9, 2001
    Lol, Trekkie's aren't bad...I've got two friends who are, and they also like Star Wars. My dad's a Trekkie. All the people I know that are really into sci-fi are mostly Trekkies that like Star Wars better as movies, except two of my friends who know nothing of Star Trek and little of Star Wars. One is in love with Luke, and the other can't stand Jacen but likes Mara...lol ;)

6. Mcily_Nochi

Sep 23, 2001
    lol

Most Trekkie's think I'm a traitor because I like SW, too. Better, in fact. *sigh* But SW fans are much more open.

7. JADES_FIRE

JADES_FIRE Jedi Master star 4

Dec 3, 2001
    Well if you two gorgeous girls ;) think Trekkies are OK [face_shocked] Who am I to argue :D
    (quitely sneaks down to the video shop to catch up on Star Trek :p ) (LOL)

8. Jedi_Anakin_Solo

Nov 27, 2001
    At least you're not hitting on my girl anymore JADES_FIRE.

9. JADES_FIRE

Dec 3, 2001
    ROFL [face_laugh] I've got to much respect for the both of you to keep doing that J_A_S :D

10. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Again, back to the topic at hand, my hope level has officially risen back from the <10% area to the at least 50% area... =)

As for whether a certain character is really dead, all I can say is that I wasn't trying to be vague or clever when I wrote "By then, Anakin was gone." Beyond that, you'll just have to wait and see what happens in the rest of the series, I'm afraid <g>. -- Troy Denning, Cryptic Genius.

11. Sith-Pirate

Sith-Pirate Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2001
    J_A_S, your point about what's realistic and what's not in science fiction was an exact one I used before, but I got a bunch of responses from smart clowns trying to tell me how light speed and the force may be possible.

I wanted everyone to know that this thread was the most fun I've ever had on the net! Some of Wyl's comments had me laughing until the next day.

I definitely have to pick fights more often, thanx everyone!

12. JADES_FIRE

Dec 3, 2001
    Your welcome Partner (LOL) :D And I quite agree :D it has been fun :p

13. Wildwookiee

Wildwookiee Jedi Master star 4

Apr 14, 2001
    Troy Denning was on another thread today, and he said that he can't say one way or the other on Anakin's death...I give it a 30% to 70% chance of his death being complete...remember what happend in Wedges Gamble...Corran went down, and he should have died, but somthing happend that kept him alive..the Luskanya. The same thing happend with Anakin (I keep wanting to write Jimmy). He just "wasn't there". That sounds complete, but if it doesn't use the words.."HE DIED," then it can still be held up for interpretiation...kinda sneeky on Troy's part eh? anyway, I think that he'll come back...not because I want him too, but because it seems like it would fit with everything else.

14. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    Don't make a analogy out of MAS, books he couldn't kill of any of his -cough- gary stu and mary sue characters.

15. Tahiri

Apr 9, 2001
    LOL...I have a question: Why bother not saying "Anakin is dead" if the books keep forcing it down our throats? I tell you, there's something straaaaange going on there! *grasping onto threads* I'm keeping optimistic!!! A little clip of Smashmouth's "I'm a Believer" lyrics...

"Now I'm a believer
    Not a trace
    Of doubt in my mind
    Now I'm a believer
    Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah (yeahhhhhhhh)
    Now I'm a believer
    Without a trace
    I'm a believer"

lol....I can imagine me and my friends doing a cheer like that at a football game or something ^^()

16. Tahiri-Solo

Tahiri-Solo Jedi Master star 4

Nov 21, 2001
    he will be back...it is his destiny.......

*hugs J_A_S*

17. Jedi_Anakin_Solo

Nov 27, 2001
    On-topic: I can name another precedent for this kind of thing: Corran "died" in Dark Tide I when he was fighting that Vong warrior... or so we thought. Corran even wondered whether or not he would disapear like some powerful Jedi would, and then... he wasn't dead!
    So it's not as if this kind of thing hasn't ever happened before.

Off-topic: Wow, Tahiri-Solo I think I've gotten more hugs from you in this thread than i've gotten from anyone irl *hugs Tahiri-Solo*

18. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Don't make a analogy out of MAS, books he couldn't kill of any of his -cough- gary stu and mary sue characters.

Valiento -- I have been an avid Stackpole fan since early-BattleTech circa 1988. I have watched so many of his characters seemingly die... and then not be dead... that I've given up on it. Regardless of whether they were actually Stackpole-analogues or not... :)

So I'm used to characters coming back and not being dead. However, in THIS case, I believe Anakin to be actually dead (that's how I interpret Troy's remarks as I posted above), but with the possibility to return later in some other fashion -- cloning, essence transference, etc.

19. Wildwookiee

Apr 14, 2001
    wasn't I'm a Believer The Monkeys first? ;)

20. Tahiri

Apr 9, 2001
    Lol, could be, Wildwookiee, but the only version I know is the Smashmouth one ;)

Edit:

This is off-topic, but it's really odd. I had a dream that I was a Jedi Knight at the jedi temple of the old republic and I had the cool jedi robe and I think it was a blackish-purple lightsaber that I had...but anyway, I was running around the temple looking for something really important, but I found some donuts being offered and then I stopped to eat them instead. I think something shot me because everything started fading. I remember thinking that there was something wrong with the donuts, but I was hungry after running around the temple looking for that important thing so it didn't really matter. Well, just felt like sharing. This probably goes to show you that I'm either having a nervous breakdown and am on the verge of insanity, or I've just been thinking Star Wars too much. 8-}

21. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Ah, Tahiri... common rookie mistake. Y'see, the donuts weren't for eating, they were for lightsaber practice. You're supposed to throw all of them up in the air and catch them through the hole with your lightsaber without cutting through them. It's all about "control, control, you must learn control."

Happens all the time... no worries. :)

22. Mcily_Nochi

Sep 23, 2001
    Lol, Tahiri. Everyone has dreams like that, don't worry. I wish ine were so cool, though . . . ;)

*passes out donuts*
    I just passed the driving test! Yea! :D :D Lol, I'm telling the world! ;)

23. JADES_FIRE

Dec 3, 2001
    Congratulation Mcily-Nochi :D :D :D :D (gives a big hug [face_love], then jumps off the road :p )

24. Wildwookiee

Apr 14, 2001
    I have dreams where I'm running around, looking for someplace to charge my lightsaber, which is dead. I can't seem to find a place to give me power, and so it's really depressing, having a lightsaber, and not being able to use it.

25. Tahiri-Solo

Tahiri-Solo Jedi Master star 4

Nov 21, 2001
    ive had a dream about the strike team in SBS....te whole thing....and when Anakins moment came, i woke up.....freakiest and scariest dream i ever had.....went back to sleep yada yada, hecame back somehow....just a silly dream....or was it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.