main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"He is our last hope??"

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Baitshop, May 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baitshop

Baitshop Jedi Youngling

Oct 23, 2003
    Ugh, forgive me and please lock if necessary, but when Luke leaves Yoda in Empire, Obi-Wan says "he is our last hope." Yoda, of course says "no, there is another" Why would Obi-Wan say that when he knows Leia is in the picture?

2. renegadesith

renegadesith Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 29, 2005
    I honestly do not believe that Obi-Wan thought that Leia could possibly help. I mean, with her being a political figure, she would have just said no to becoming a jedi. Yoda thought otherwise.

3. Absydian

Absydian Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 21, 2004
    Yeah, Leia is to involved in the politics of it all.

Pay close attention to how OBI Wan talks about politicians in the PT.

4. AllTamTranRatCheer

AllTamTranRatCheer Jedi Youngling star 1

May 3, 2005
    yoda knew Leia could NOT be trusted with Jedi powers. So he tried to avoid talking about her as the last hope.

5. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    I agree with Absydian that it's part of Obi-Wan's dislike of Politicians.

6. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    He says the same thing in ROTJ right before he tells Luke the truth about his sister:

"You were our only hope."

*spills the beans*

He just didn't think Leia could do anything other than win a political debate...

7. Brandon Rhea

Brandon Rhea Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 26, 2004
    "She's a politician and they're not to be trusted."

I think that line sums it up pretty well.

8. RurouniKJS

RurouniKJS Jedi Youngling star 2

May 4, 2005
    Ben was a male chauvinist pig! THAT'S why he told Ani to leave Padmé in AOTC -- he hated wimmen!!!!!

AND politicians!

XD

9. stormcloud777

stormcloud777 Jedi Youngling

Feb 24, 2005
    possibly Ben did not deliver Leia, but was only given Luke to go to Dantooine while Yoda and company squirreled away Leia.

Just in case Ben was found.

Just an uneducated guess. We'll find out in 6 days.

10. Brandon Rhea

Brandon Rhea Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 26, 2004
    given Luke to go to Dantooine

I'm sorry, but have you ever seen Star Wars. I don't remember Obi-Wan and Luke being on Dantooine.

11. Darth_Sammy52

Darth_Sammy52 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 26, 2004
    Other than Obi-Wan not trusting politicians, wasn't there another reason? I think it was something about her midi-chlorian count. There's like some level of midi-chlorians that someone has to have in order to have Force Powers and be a Jedi, and Leia doesn't have the needed amount. So she couldn't be a Jedi even if they wanted her to be.

12. Moriarte

Moriarte Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 17, 2001
    I don't buy the whole idea that the "other" hope was Leia at all. Why? Then Yoda's line "No, there is another" would not make thematic sense because nothing comes of it. There would be no reason for that line. However, who becomes this "other" hope? This "other" hope that Obi-Wan gave up on...

...Anakin. Yoda still has faith that Anakin, the Chosen One, will still fulfill his destiny, which he does, and actually becomes this "other" hope as opposed to Luke.

Additionally, it makes perfect sense for Luke to be the "Padawan" as opposed to Leia. From an archetypal standpoint, Anakin's path follows the Hero Cycle as defined by Joseph Campbell; however, Anakin's path is stalled for a great while. Luke eventually follows his own Hero Cycle too. Originally it is seen a replacement over Anakin's so that Luke will destroy the Sith and fulfill where the Chosen One failed. Interestingly, Luke's fulfillment of his Hero Cycle ias actually the re-start of Anakin's Cycle-that being the destruction of the Sith as seen in ROTJ. Anakin and Luke complete their Cycles as the same time. Neat! But why is it important for Luke to follow the Hero Cycle as opposed to Leia?

Concurrent with this, and most importantly, Anakin never had/knew a biological father and neither did Luke. Throughout his life, Anakin adopts different father-figures as a means for emotional stabilization. He does this with Qui-Gon Jinn, Obi-Wan, and to a degree Palpatine. Despite these figures, Anakin falls to the Dark-Side and ends up blaming Obi-Wan for his problems. In essence, there was never a true father figure for Anakin to model after, learn from, and ultimately trust/love in a way he'll never know-one that could not save him.

We turn to Luke who is in a very similar situation. He knows his foster parents are not his biological parents and he grows up wanting to have had a relationship with his real father, looks up to Obi-Wan like Anakin did. Enter ROTJ where up to that point Luke's adventures is a mirror of Anakin's, Anakin sees Luke being tortured (to death) by Palpatine because Luke won't turn to the Dark Side as opposed to Anakin who did in a similar situation. Luke's father is right there watching this torture, and he could save him. During Vaderkin's internal conflict, couldn't he possibly be thinking to himself, "My 'father' wasn't there to save me, but Luke's father, me, can save him"(?) I think that is entirely possible and very plausable.

At this point, their paths as Jedi are mirrored, the Hero Cycle is mirrored completely and what tipped the Force to the lightside's favor was the inclusion of the father/son dynamic is mirrored-something the Leai would not have been able to match.

This "other" hope is Anakin, the one everyone gave up on and thought lost but was entirely an option that would be awakened by Luke.

Ciou-See the Sig

13. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    On the bullseye Absydian.

14. Darth Kruel

Darth Kruel Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2000
    If anything, if Luke died or failed, Leia would have to be convinced by Yoda and Ben to become a Jedi. But Ben was always thinking of Luke as the last remaining hope.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.