He Is Sooooooo Grounded

Discussion in 'San Joaquin Valley, CA' started by MotherPalpatine, Jun 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MotherPalpatine Jedi Master

star 4
    Almost a year ago Sid'ious somehow managed to break his back leg and after five casts in three weeks and another three weeks of restriction, he recovered.

Tuesday morning I found him outside under the tree in the backyard(after he did not come when called for breakfast) curled up as if taking a nap. But after picking him up and his growling at me I knew something was wrong. I thought he had broken his tail as he would not lift it and growled when it was touched. So yesterday morning as I was putting him in his "new" rolling carrier he managed to escape and went out the cat door. (I had just opened it for Exeter) Several hours later he reappeared and had a bite to eat then just lay in one of his spots. This morning I got him into the carrier and off we went to the Dr.

Good news; his tail is not broken.
    Bad news; he has an abcess. I am waiting to pick him up after his little surgery.

I've already told the Wizard that Sid'ious is grounded from June thru September.

Teenage Sith Lords are demons.
  2. ScootyPuffJr Jedi Knight

star 2
    Poor kitty! Here's what our brat-king (Dickens) has done...

1. Got into a fight two days before a horse show, so had to have his ear stitched up and we took him with us, so he could hold court in the hotel suite. He was like Mr. Woo-Woo life of the party, all he needed was a lampshade on his head -- we were just the cocktail waitresses. So since then (1999) he looks like a rescue cat (when they notch their ears to show 'spayed or neutered') -- and our vet has inquired more than once, "Are you SURE he wasn't feral?" based on Dickens' responses...

2. Fell out of a tree, landed on the dumpster, broke off the tip of one of his fangs. Came running in with his wussy crybaby wah-wah that usually we don't take seriously, but he was limping, we saw fresh blood in his mouth and he wouldn't let us touch his hip. We felt, okay, this is it -- Cherie said her goodbyes and I took him around the corner to our vet, completely expecting to come back with an empty carrier...

...annnd...he'd bitten his tongue.

And bruised his hip. Nothing that 10-14 rotations of the Earth didn't cure...

He's amazing agile and normally graceful as a ballet dancer, but sometimes he does a clunky and now he looks like a biker-bar bouncer with only one pointy fang... They said we could get reconstructive rebuilding of his other fang, but we just thought that was the height of vain insanity, and it doesn't bother him or interfere with his eating, so we left it at that.

Mary

3. Liz_Skywalker Jedi Knight

star 2
    Just got back from the coast and Ville is in pitiful condition. Appears to be upper-respiratory but I'm concerned since his mother was feral that it might be something more serious. Am hoping I can hold out until Monday to take him to the vet.
  4. MotherPalpatine Jedi Master

star 4
    Make sure that he gets fluids even if you have to drip water into his mouth.
    Sid'ious had a fever of 104.5 on Thursday when he first went in tot he Vet. This morning on his recheck his temp was 104.4. Anitbiotics are not working so he has been given a second one on top of the first plus warm compresses 3 to 4 times a day.

I'll call you tomorrow to check on your guy.
  5. Liz_Skywalker Jedi Knight

star 2
    yeah, i actually have sub-q fluids here from when Allie had parvo, but i'm not sure if i have any fresh needles. i'll ask how many cc's he should get tomorrow at the vet, and pick up some needles.

what is a cat's regular temp supposed to be?
  6. MotherPalpatine Jedi Master

star 4
  7. Liz_Skywalker Jedi Knight

star 2
    OK, just got back from Vet a little while ago.

NEGATIVE on feline HIV and Leukemia, which is really good. Since his mother is feral and his father is a complete unknown, you never know what could be floating around. He hadn't eaten since Saturday, so he's looking really thin. Anyhow, it is a really bad upper-respiratory infection, the vet was seriously concerned that it had progressed to pnuemonia, but it doesn't appear to be that bad after all. I have been instructed on the proper method for force-feeding, since they couldn't get him to eat anything either, but, thankfully, as soon as we got home, he ate a whole jar of chicken babyfood all on his own! He starts his anti-biotics tonight and should be doing a lot better soon.
  8. ScootyPuffJr Jedi Knight

star 2
    So glad he's doing better! Expect a little bit of the runs with the baby food, due to the high water content, so don't be surprised. They also prescribe Hill's at the vet for the same reason, it helps the cat get more water content in with the food, particularly if they're not drinking as much fresh liquid as they could. Keep up with the water-dropper, I got my brother's cat through her 3 grumpy days of post-spaying with one, when she just didn't feel like getting off the bed (cuz it hurt too much to jump!). She seemed grateful that she had a slave to feed and water her and she didn't have to move...and now of course over a decade later she's just as mean as she ever was, even as a baby. That's gratitude for ya...

Mary SPJ
  9. MotherPalpatine Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm glad to hear that the tests were clear and hope he is doing better tomorrow. Did the Vet tell you to check ingredients on the babyfood? No onions or onion powder. Toxic to cats.

Sid is feeling a lot better and even wanted to play but he is still grounded.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.