main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

He Man And The Masters Of The Universe Live Action Film

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Darth_Berserker, Jul 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    Rose McGowern could do it.

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, if not for her age Meg Foster would be as welcome to return as Evil-Lyn almost as much as Frank Lengella would be as Skeletor.

3. CJS

CJS Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 15, 2006
    Langella could still do Skeletor. Evil-lyn has to be strange and sexy at the same time. I don't know who could pull that off.

4. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    What we need to do is fall upon the old standby.

Make the villians British Actors.

And the Americans He man and his crew.

5. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2001
    He-man: The Rock
    Prince Adam: Brandon Frasier
    Skeletor: Vince Vaughn
    Man-at-Arms: Thomas Jane
    Beastman: Ron Perlman
    Orko: Ahmed Best

6. Darth_Berserker

Darth_Berserker Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 12, 2005
    Ron Pearlman would be fantastic as beastman, as for Vince Vaughn.. i was thinking maybe a christopher lee. I know his old but he could still do it

7. RolandofGilead

Jan 17, 2001
    I guess I was thinking someone less scary, and more a bit goofy like the cartoons.

8. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    No wrestlers or former wrestlers as He-Man. There are plenty of people that can get into shape who can act. Let's use them instead of the old standby of wrestlers. I also think that He-Man and Adam should be two different actors to make it more credible like the recent animated series.

9. Panther50

Panther50 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 7, 2004
    Any movie would want to make the transformation into He-Man pretty dramatic so there would have to be a big physical differance between the actors. In the cartoons He-Man mostly resembles an older version of Adam, would that work for movie with the actors simply looking like the same person at different ages or would it be better to have the two actors look totally different.

10. Darth_Berserker

Darth_Berserker Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 12, 2005
    i think Thomas Jane would fit the role of He-man easy, take a look at him in the punisher

11. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

[image=http://www.badmovies.org/movies/mastersu/mastersu6.jpg] [image=http://www.serienoldies.de/images2/shera_hordak.jpg]

Granted, 2ndQuest, I'll take a Lyn over a pig honking Hordak any day.

12. CJS

Feb 15, 2006
    I never knew who the other villains in Skeletor's band of goons were except for Beastman.

13. TIEPilot051999

TIEPilot051999 Jedi Master star 7

Mar 27, 2002
    But Hordak's cool. In his own way.

14. CJS

Feb 15, 2006
    Didn't Skeletor wrest control of Snake Mountain from Hordak? Wasn't Hordak She-ra's main antagonist? Did He-man ever fight Hordak? More importantly, did He-man ever hook up with Teela or Evil-lyn?

15. TIEPilot051999

TIEPilot051999 Jedi Master star 7

Mar 27, 2002
    Yeah. I guess.

Only in the cartoon.

Yes.

16. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    Hey, I like Oroko! On the other hand, he could possibly drag down the movie for the average movie goer like Jar Jar did for TPM(but let's not go there). I wouldn't be totally opposed to a live action movie if it was done really good. In the chance it does happen maybe enough people will have forgotten about the original to give this a chance.

17. RolandofGilead

Jan 17, 2001
    Why do you think I suggested Ahmed Best for the role? [face_mischief]

18. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Bumping this, as I'm constantly compelled to rewatch Langella's scenes as Skeletor in this movie (thankfully my re-edit of the movie, "Skeletor: Master of the Universe", makes this easy), and I go about searching the web for more info, found this great bit in an interview with Langella for Frost/Nixon that I wanted to post here so I'd be able to find it eaaser later on ;)

In the 1980s, his movie career waned, but one high-profile performance was that skull-faced villain Skeletor in 1987's Masters of the Universe, based on a hit toy line and cartoon his children watched. "In the end, they couldn't care less," he says. "I had a screening for them, and they both fell asleep!"

Langella made his Hollywood comeback as a character actor when Ivan Reitman cast him as the sinister White House chief of staff in 1993's Dave, with Kevin Kline as a regular-guy doppelgänger president.

"I was ice-cold in movies. I couldn't get a job," Langella says.

Even in the rough times, he has tried to enjoy the work he did get.

For example: "I loved playing Skeletor, and people sometimes say, 'Aren't you embarrassed?' Not in the least! I loved my performance in that. I worked very hard to make him as exciting as I could. It was a great paycheck. But it was also delicious."

He also wrote some of his own dialogue, including this question to Dolph Lundgren's muscle-bound hero: "Tell me about the loneliness of good, He-Man. Is it equal to the loneliness of evil?"

The actor pauses as an idea occurs to him. "Sir Thomas More and Richard Nixon," he says. "I am playing in both of these men the loneliness of good and the loneliness of evil. Jeez, I never thought of it before."

Langella starts to laugh: "The parallels between these two ? Who would have known Skeletor would be the precursor?"

19. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    [face_laugh] That's hilarious. Langella's Skeletor is the stuff legends are made of!

20. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    The old movie was actually not that bad, for the era. A pity that they planned climactic swordfight couldn't be filmed because of scheduling and cost over-runs. Sadly, most fantasy movies suck because the people providing the money don't get it, and think that they should make the decisions since they're paying for it.
    And Dolph Lundgren did a great job with a nothing role. Everyone else had a character (even if it was an annoying or whiney or annoying whiney character).
    As for who to cast now...
    David Borneaz as BeastMan
    Halle Barrie as Evil-lyn
    Jim Carrie as the voice of Cringer/Battlecat
    Terrance Stamp as Skellator
    Mark Hammil as Hordak
    Nichole Kidman as Sorceress
    Kevin Conroy for Man-at-Arms
    some beef-cake guy to play he-man (hopefully with a modicum of acting ability)
    John Travolta and Tom Cruise as minion who get killed in a really gorey way

21. goraq

goraq Jedi Youngling star 4

May 15, 2008
    Thats an awfull lot of starpower,arent you a little bit greedy?

22. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    Um, yes? What's the point of not being greedy?

23. goraq

goraq Jedi Youngling star 4

May 15, 2008
    It leads too the dark side.
    [image=http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/f/ff/SithStalker.jpg#20090107001715]

24. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    I like the 1987 film, but for one thing it makes the mistake of coming to 1980s Earth instead of staying on Eternia, and for another it's 90% dumb. Sure, Langella is a scene-chewing bad***, but the movie around him is painfully awful. Base the script on the awesome 2001 animated show, cast some weight-lifters who can act (they do exist) and get on with it already!

25. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    Looks like a combination of Booush's Ubinese (or whatever) armor and goth bondage wear in chrome. What is it supposed to be?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.