main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:NZ Heading Towards Your Parts of the World...

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Miana Kenobi, Jan 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Hello everyone. My name's Rachel, and I'm from the San Diego California Fan Force. This coming summer, I will be joining with students across America and heading to New Zealand for a month. We haven't been given the details of our work project yet, so I'm not sure where in NZ I'm going to be most of the time, but I was just hoping you all could give me some tips about what to expect when I'm there. :)

My first real question is about electrical plugs. Since I'm pretty dumb when it comes to foreign things, I'm not really sure how I'm going to be able to plug in the charger for my digital camera. Is there a converter I can purchase, or would my plugs work in your sockets?

And, since I'm from sunny Southern California, I know I'm going to freeze over there, as I'll be there from late July through late August. Can anyone give me a heads up as to what the temperature and weather's usually like during those months?

Thanks again for your help! :)

~~Rachel

2. SimplyThrilledHoney

SimplyThrilledHoney Jedi Youngling star 3

May 19, 2002
    Hey Rachel.

You'll need an adaptor for your camera charger. Most airport shops will sell them cheaply, either in the USA or here.

Where are you going to be in New Zealand. Auckland never gets <i>too</i> cold in the winter. A scarf, jumper and medium weight jacket is all you'd need unless you were a complete wuss about temperature. Obviously, the further South you go, the colder its going to get. I guess an average winter day in Auckland would be about 10°C, maybe down to 0°C in the South Island. (You'll probably need to convert those to °F for them to make any sense to you, I guess ...)

Hope that helps.

3. Chansplace

Chansplace Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 2, 2001
    0°C in the South Island.

yep, the South Island is the coolest :p

4. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    Fairenheit, is the worst unit in the world...

Second only to kips

That is all.

5. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    For sensitive equipment like a digital camera, you'll want to get something that converts the voltage from 110V to 230/240V. Not all adaptors will do that, so make sure you get the right one so you don't damage the camera.

solo77: I think the slug has just about every other unit beaten down. Nothing compares to its completely random name.

6. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    Just buy a new camera once you get here to eliminate any hassles and boost our economy :p

7. SithForceLord

SithForceLord Jedi Master star 6

Jul 2, 2001
    and then give it to me before leaving NZ. :)

Hi, welcome.

0* is a little bit of an exaggeration. It may start off at -2 -5 degrees celcius, but it picks up through the day in Chch anyway to a beautiful blue calm 12* C. Early Winter is lovely in NZ.

8. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    Thanks for the info, guys. :)

A scarf, jumper and medium weight jacket is all you'd need unless you were a complete wuss about temperature.

I'm a complete wuss about temperature. :p I'm from the desert north of San Diego, so I'm used to 38°C or more. I freeze when it's about 10°C outside, so I'm going to be packing LOTS of sweaters, gloves, and scarves. :p

I will definitely be looking into the converter. Thanks for the heads up about that! :)

9. DrMaul

DrMaul Jedi Master star 1

Dec 24, 2000
    >For sensitive equipment like a digital camera, you'll want to get something that converts the voltage from 110V to 230/240V. Not all adaptors will do that...

Transformers are obviously considerably more expensive than adapters. Read the details on your camera charger - most devices of that type these days will handle an input voltage of 100-240V, so all you'll need is either a plug adapter, or an alternative socket-to-charger cord.

10. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    Thanks once again for all the info! :D

I just got my travel plan. It looks like I will be spending my first two weeks in Tauranga and McLaren Falls. :D

So, can anyone give me a heads up for what the weather will be like/what I should expect? :)

11. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    Weather is fairly changable at the moment. I've been wearing a t-shirt and pants the last few days (I'm in Auckland, about 3 hours north of Tauranga). Weather is generally, rain/cool for a few days, then fine weather, then rain again as the anticyclones pass over the country. Yea, 10-14*C average in Tauranga probably, maybe on a good cold day down to 6*C but it's been a pretty mild winter (or it's just me having come up north from 3 years in the South).

A good rain coat will help ya, and yea, bring mostly wamr clothes but definiately through in some shirts in case of a lovely clear sunny day. If you go south, WARM clothes / thermal underwear is needed.

12. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    I know the furthest south I'm going to be is Wellington, and I hope Auckland will be nice. I might freeze the moment I step off the plane, though. I'll be coming from Los Angeles, and right now it's a brisk 30°C over there (compared to the 37 I'm getting right now! :p)

Thanks for the info!!

13. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    Stink that you're not going to the South Island, it's the best for seeing what this country has to offer in the way of stunning landscapes. Wellington is miserable. Windy. Windy. Windy. I personally HATE that city. :p

Auckland at the moment, as I said - I'm in no socks this morning and jeans / t-shirt. Last night was nippy though.

14. Avalon-nz

Avalon-nz Jedi Youngling

Mar 21, 2005
    Ack - Wellington is fine!

Ok, so when the wind blows - it will try to blow you all the way back home - but Ho Hum. We have spent 3 of the last 7 days sitting outside with coffee / wine / food, which is something we would not have been able to do in teh uK in the middle of winter.(or even in the middle of summer most of the time)

We personally have found that plug adapters are way more expensive here than getting them at home (but then so are most things)

And please DONT boost the ecomomy too much - i need the NZ$ to plummet fast so I can afford to buy a house ;)

Hxxx

15. BH2776

BH2776 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 11, 2005
    Coming to Wellington eh?

Ignore the nay-sayers! Wellington is a fine city. I moved here from Auckland-ish... It's is a far better city than that bog that they call Auckland!

16. TheEmperorsProtege

TheEmperorsProtege Jedi Knight star 5

May 22, 2004
    wellington absolutely rocks! ;)
    we should maybe plan a get-together or something??? :D

-Mel

17. BH2776

May 11, 2005
    OOOHHHHH..... get together.....

18. Avalon-nz

Avalon-nz Jedi Youngling

Mar 21, 2005
    Absolutely (refusing to add the second word - though it nearly snuck in there) - a get together when you arrive is a must!

Hxxx

19. TheEmperorsProtege

May 22, 2004
    whats the 2nd word?:confused:

-Mel

20. BH2776

May 11, 2005
    the opposdite of negatively.....

21. TheEmperorsProtege

May 22, 2004
    oh LOL [face_blush]

*slaps her forehead*

-Mel

22. BH2776

May 11, 2005
  23. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    LOL! Well, Mel PMed me and offered your invitation, and I most certainly accept! I am almost 80% sure that the only free day I have in Wellington (one of the only days I have in Wellington, lol!) will be August 17th. I'm touring the Te Papa museum in the morning, but then I have the afternoon free. :)

I'm unsure if I'll have internet access while I'm in Tauranga. However, if it would be easier, I could just get a phone number from one of you and call when I get there to confirm (and what's this about 3 different colored phones??) :confused:

24. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    Yup.

Green phone = Calls North Island
    Blue phone = Calls South Island

and the Red phone calls Batman at the press of the big button.

25. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    ..... :confused:

My little guide packet says Green = phonecards, Yellow = Credit Card, and Blue = Coin....

huh?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.