Tucson "Heart of an Empire"

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by hal9k1, Mar 28, 2007.

Moderators: DieWompRatDie, Grimby
  1. hal9k1 Jedi Master

star 4
    Just a side note:

I'm trying to keep the DSG/TFF member informed of what?s going on with situations that affect both groups. But we are supposed to keep events for one or the other group separate and off each others public boards. This is why the DSG has a private board section for members only. I?ve not thought the TFF needed one because we are so much smaller and have e-mail and phone communication. I can make a private posting board for the TFF or the Tucson DSG if need be.

I will be the first to admit I?ve violate this rule in the past.

So even though we have 4 TFF members in the 501st (5th is waiting for her number) and a 501st member in Tucson that is NOT part of the TFF we are not supposed to discuss 501st stuff on the TFF boards or at TFF meetings. This is done out of respect for both groups. I know it?s all intertwined and confusing.

I?m trying to keep everyone involved apprised of situations electronically so we have some sort of paper trail to refer to later if there is some confusion and off the TFF public boards.
  2. cathiecat Force Ghost

star 4
    Thank you guys for doing your best to keep it all straight on and off the boards. I know it gets very confusing and you are doing a good job.

Lets just do our best to remember to leave all the 501st posting to 501st members that know when and what they are allowed to post :)

3. dialswiftjustice Force Ghost

star 4
    As of now, the private screening is designatoed for 501st members ony, that being the case, why dont the TFF try and make the screening later inthe day when we are trooping so we can all be there? Itd be nice to have the TFF there sometime.
  4. hal9k1 Jedi Master

star 4
    As Per Neil's post on the boards:

Also, regarding The Fan Force attending the private screening. I hate to sound elitist because that's not my intent. I want a stronger relationship with TFF. But in this case, the screening is only for 501st members. The reason this screening exists at all is because we'll be working the door during the public screening. It's the film crew and film fest's way of letting us see the film AND troop it.

Jay is a great guy and this film has potential. If any of us want to see it in regular theaters of even on DVD, Jay has to get a distribution deal. To get a distribution deal, the movie has to play well at film festivals like this all around the country. I believe that the Fan Force can best support this by paying to see this film with the public. Nothing speaks to a film's future sucess like box office earnings. If you are a Fan Force member, please try to support this film by going to see it at 4:00pm.

If anyone wants to relay this message back to the Fan Force at large, please copy and past it exactly as I've written here.
  5. neilwato Jedi Padawan

Hi guys!

This is Neil Hetzel, the CO of the Dune Sea Garrison. I suppose I should have found your boards earlier and registered. My appologies. I do want to keep the lines of communication open between us. And I do was us to get to know one another better. As I've told Cathy before, we're all Star Wars fans. I'm sorry if I've confused anyone with my posts or gave anyone the impression that I'm not concerned with our friends in the TFF.

Damian and I just got off the phone and I understand that there is some confusion about who can troop what. Questions abound about if it's ok by me for you guys to show up in costume. I appreciate the respect extended to both the 501st and me. It is extremely nice of you all to ask us if it's ok for you to show up in costume. Of course it?s ok. I couldn't stop you if I wanted to :) This (the 4pm showing of Heart of an Empire) is a public event. It would be the height of impropriety for me to attempt to tell members of the TFF over whom I have no authority whatsoever what they can and can not do.

Having said that, there are certain parts of this event that we were specifically asked to cover by Legion command, the film's producers and the film festival. Specifically, there is a parade on Friday night which we'll be participating in and for which the film festival only wanted 3-4 people. Those "slots" were openly posted on the 501st private boards for any 501st member to fill. Also, there is a screening for members of the 501st that are either trooping or support trooping the 4:00pm public screening. As much as I would love to throw the doors open to all of you at the TFF, the truth is this screening is really for 501st members and those that are supporting them in working the public screening later. I would feel very guilty depriving Jay (the director) of the increased ticket sales that he needs in order to get this film distributed. The best thing you all can do is go pay to see this film! It will really help.

I hope that clears up any questions. I will be going into work tomorrow morning to get some last minute things done and then driving down to Tucson in the afternoon. I will try to check this board between now and then to answer any other questions you may have. Please don't hesitate.

-Neil

6. hal9k1 Jedi Master

star 4
    Thank you Neil and Welcome to the public Tucson Fan Force boards.
  7. thatsMISTERwookiee Jedi Master

star 4
    So the public viewing starts at 4:00 PM.

Does ANYBODY know what theatre this film is showing at?
  8. dialswiftjustice Force Ghost

star 4
    its at the screening room 127 E. Congress.

http://www.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=screening+room&near=Tucson,+AZ&sa=X&oi=local&ct=title

Neil, and everone else, just be advised parking is going to be a night mare on saturday. Congress will be completely shut down for an earth day parade, and then club crawl later that night. I have a diagram of the roadblocks, I just need to scan and post it. The roads are being closed around 8am, until Sunday morning!
  9. neilwato Jedi Padawan

Hi Dustin,

I will get down there tonight and speak with the film festival people. I'll try and figure out where the best place to park will be and post back here on this site and the 501st site.

Thanks,
    -Neil
  10. cathiecat Force Ghost

star 4
    The Screening Room is located at Congress and 6th. One building between it and the corner. It is across the street from The Chicago Store(a music store). The building is chartreuse green and purple, tickets will be $8.

I went downtown and spoke with a gentleman at The Screening Room today. He has been attending and assisting at the festival for a few years now and he made a few parking suggestions for us.

Parking on the weekends is free for metered spaces, so the metered spaces are all good options, there are a few metered spaces right in front of The Screening Room. Next is Scott Avenue which hits Congress on the South side of the street and has many many metered spaces available for parking. There are some nearby parking garages and lots interspersed downtown, however most of these lots are not free and most are by permit only.. the ones that are not.. ie: library for one.. close at a certain time and if you park there you might run the risk of not being able to get your car out after the show is over if the garage has closed.

I am checking into whether or not we can park in the city-state garage on Congress, west of Granada, I am told by a few people downtown that this lot is free on the weekends as well. Though this lot would be a last resort parking option as it is not very near The Screening Room and would require a bit of walking, but we could always all park there and then use one car to drop people off and then just have the one or two folks doing the dropping off be the only ones walking from the lot.. kind of like our own personal valets .. if this makes sense.. it does to me ;)

As Club Crawl will have streets closing fairly early in the day please be advised it would be best to enter Congress from the West end of town rather than coming in from the east as you may wind up in a bottle neck situation if you enter from the east.

The Film Festival people had told me that Earth Day Festival and parade was being held somewhere else, however.. it is not.. it is being held at Armory park and the children's museum.. but it is from 9am to 1pm so by the time we begin arriving for the 4pm showing of Heart of an Empire the Earth Day event should be over.
  11. hal9k1 Jedi Master

star 4
  12. JediObiKat Jedi Master

star 3
    Wow, that is the most descriptive review I've ever read
  13. Vangarian Force Ghost

star 4
    LOL JediObiKat you Kill me! [face_laugh]
    Were you expecting Siskel and Ebert to show up and give a review? =D=
  14. thatsMISTERwookiee Jedi Master

star 4

K-Kat, they even had a FRENCH 501st member in the film...

...now I know WHY the Empire lost!("Sacre! Zee leetle Ewoks, zay are so clumsay and awkward. Mon deau, how can we possibly defeat zem? We must surrender!"):D
  15. hal9k1 Jedi Master

star 4
    Actually, she?s correct. That was totally lame on my part.
    I?ve (like some others) done 3 trooping events in the last 7 days and I?m just exhausted.

It was a good film. It was not at all what I expected. Not really how it was advertised in the trailer.

It really focused much more on how the 501st charity portion effects individual cases and very little on the whole group, its mandate, social structure, or use of another persons intellectual property.

Some parts were not very well explored (maybe due to too much footage and not enough time to put it all in). Basically it needed a bit more focus and maybe some alternate editing, IMHO. So unless you know the social and political parts of the 501st it?s a bit disjointed in that respect. Not to say it?s not enjoyable or easy to follow.
    It was really done from the point of view of someone in the 501st (or Rebel Legion) and not someone that knows absolutely nothing about Star Wars or the 501st at all. I think that was my biggest gripe with it. It really was not presented for the masses, not a commercial film in that respect.

It was much more moving that I would have thought. Maybe because I?ve trooped hospitals and such but I found it extremely moving and it really made me proud to do the charity work that I do for whomever or whatever flag I do it under.
  16. neilwato Jedi Padawan

Hi everyone,

Thank you so much to the members of the TFF who came out and supported Heart of an Empire. Specifically, I?d like to thank those of you who are not crossover 501st members and came out and paid to see film. It was great of you guys to brave the parking and the traffic jus to come support us and we really appreciate it.

Jack, that was positively evil linking the Empire to the French, just terrible. It also had me in hysterics. :)

Thanks again everyone!

-Neil
  17. hal9k1 Jedi Master

star 4
    A joke about french and I missed it? Drat! :p
  18. thatsMISTERwookiee Jedi Master

star 4

My humble apologies.

Once again it seems I must take back hurtful things I wrote. I associated a fictional galactic empire known for its evil soul-sucking Sith ways, for butchering its law guardians, for slaughtering innocent younglings, for destroying billions of lives whenever the whimsy strikes, for enslaving and eliminating sentient species all over the galaxy, with the French. It was only meant as a jest, but I can see where the line was crossed. You may be evil incarnate, but you are not french.

To the extent I insulted the Sith Lords, Imperial Officers, Storm/Snow/Sand/Clonetroopers, Bounty Hunters, and any other creatures and/or persons associated with the wretched scum tactics and villiany of the Empire, to all of you I extend my sincerest apologies. Thank you.
  19. OBI-WAN_KENOBI_1977 Jedi Knight

yea the event was pretty fun does anyone know when the thursaday screenign gonna be at again and what tiem 8 pm I think ont he 26
  20. hal9k1 Jedi Master

star 4
    It's at La Placita Outdoor Cinema at 8:00 pm.
  21. Jada Chapter Rep Charlotte, NC

Chapter Rep
    star 6
    reads Jack's apology . . . busts out laughing [face_laugh]
  22. dialswiftjustice Force Ghost

star 4
    I cant make the second screening unfortunatly, workin.
  23. cathiecat Force Ghost

star 4
    I plan on dropping by the second screening and seeing how many people are there but I have to leave before it is over to pick up Mark at the airport for his first weekend home. He leaves on Sunday when I take him back to the airport. Part of my job. Though I have to admit I used to pick him up and drop him off at the airport all the time before it was my job and I used to own a car. :)
Moderators: DieWompRatDie, Grimby