main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Heart Strings, J.A. Updated July 17

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by jodiwent, Jan 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jodiwent

jodiwent Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2000
    Heart Strings, A Valentine?s Day Story (even though it's updated months after [face_whistling] )

Category: J.A.
    Summary: Obi-Wan Kenobi thought Siri Tachi was the love of his life. Can lightening strike twice? Or is the boy just confused?

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Okay okay I know what you?re thinking, ?Jodi, you haven?t finished your Halloween story yet; how can you be starting a Valentine?s Day story?" Well, Friday night I had a very vivid dream. I had to write it out. I had planned on waiting till I completed it, but I have no discipline in that area.

Hope everyone enjoys.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
    As was the way with Qui-Gon Jinn, he and his apprentice Obi-Wan Kenobi were making a side trip from their way back to Coruscant after their last mission. Obi-Wan had a feeling, not a bad one, just a feeling, that this so called side trip was going to end up being more of an adventure than the actual mission the Jedi Counsel had sent them on. He had gotten used to the fact that Qui-Gon had a knack for following the will of the Force so that sometimes they ended up helping people no one knew needed help. Most of the time they ended up being entangled with what the younger Jedi began calling Jinn?s pathetic life form club.

The day before Qui-Gon had been looking at the planned stops their transport would be making when he pointer to a spot on the star map and said, ?Bajaka, you?ve never been to Bajaka.?

Obi-Wan tried not to look as uninterested as he was. ?There are a lot of planets I?ve never been to. Are we to stop at every one??

Qui-Gon winked before answering, ?Not every one Padawan. Only those where I believe you may learn something."

?Master, why is it - - ? Kenobi pondered out loud. ?That you seem to think I can only learn on remote planters that are out of the Republic??

Qui-Gon had that look on his face. The look that told Obi-Wan he should have known better than to ask that question.

?Padawan - - ? Qui-Gon had his signature mischievous glint in those old blue eyes as he asked, ?Does the power of the Force end at the borders of the Republic??

?No Master.?

?And if people who happen to live outside of the Republic might need the help of a Jedi or two, shouldn?t we oblige??

?Yes Master.? Obi-Wan agreed out of habit. ?But how do you know someone on Bajaka needs our help??

?I have a feeling,? Qui-Gon answered. ?Not a bad one, just a feeling.?

At the moment Obi-Wan wasn?t sure what kind of a feeling he had.

In the morning, when the ship arrived on Bajaka, Obi-Wan awoke to find he could not find his clothes. He found that Qui-Gon was not on his own sleep couch either. There was a note there in his place. It read: ?Wait for my return.?

?As if I?d go wondering about in my under shorts,? Obi muttered to himself. ?More reason for more sleep.?

It was that Obi-Wan, snuggled up in his blanket that Qui-Gon found on his return.

?Glad to see you?ve spent your spare time well Padawan,? Jinn bellowed as he whipped off that blanket.

?Uhhh, Master, must you. It?s cold,? Obi-Wan complained as he curled up.

?It?s warm outside,? Qui-Gon said. ?It?s summer on the grasslands after all.?

?Is that why you?ve absconded with my clothes?? Obi-Wan sat up remaining on the edge of his sleep couch giving Qui-Gon a scowl.

?No. I took your clothes to trade for your disguise.? Qui-Gon held up a threadbare pair of pants that looked as if they?d only reach Obi-Wan?s mid calf, and an equally raggedy piece of cloth that might pass as a tunic.

?You traded my clothes for those rags?? Obi-Wan frowned deeply. ?What am I supposed to be disguised as, a beggar??

Qui tossed the pants at his apprentice. ?No, not a beggar,? he said as Obi wriggled into the pants. The Master Jedi held up the square of cloth that was to cover Obi?s back and chest. Then put the hole that passed as a neck over Obi?s head. ?My slave.?

?Master, There?s no sleeves on this thing,? Kenobi uncharacteristically whined.

2. Kestrel_Kenobi

Kestrel_Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 26, 2005
    Jodi, you haven?t finished your Halloween story yet; how can you be starting a Valentine?s Day story?

:p

That aside ? loved it and look forward to seeing where you?re heading.

Mmmm...slave-Obi...

Obi-Wan rubbed his forehead. He now knew what kind of feeling he was having about this little excursion; it was a bad one.

:D

More soon please!

3. MASTER_KAYM

MASTER_KAYM Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 3, 2004
    [face_laugh] I love Obi's reaction to all this. It's so funny!

Very good beginning :D

4. micky-nikki

micky-nikki Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 31, 2005
    This is really good! I like the way you've written the Master/slave relationship between Obi Wan and Qui Gon. It's believable but not so harsh that we forget their still teacher and student. Excellent beginning =D= More soon?

5. Ani-maniac

Ani-maniac Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 5, 2005
    This is very interesting! :)

Hmmm... Obi-Wan was right, Qui-Gon is up to something. [face_thinking] My guess, the Council doesn't know. :D

Could ou please PM me when you update?

Thank you! [:D]

Ani-maniac

6. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    ?Padawan - - ? Qui-Gon had his signature mischievous glint in those old blue eyes as he asked, ?Does the power of the Force end at the borders of the Republic??

Haha! Love the glint, but he really is right about that comment. Slave boy??? [face_laugh] [face_laugh] An most intriguing start jodiwent. MIght I ask to be included on a Pm list??

7. JagF

JagF Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 27, 2006
    Intriguing beginning, I loved Obi Wan's reaction to the whole slave situaton.
    Hope to read more soon! :D

8. Terra_Wan_Kenobi

Terra_Wan_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 8, 2005
    Poor Obi-Slave Ahem, Sorry i mean Obi-Wan

9. jodiwent

Feb 11, 2000
    [face_hypnotized] Wow! Look at all the replys. Thanks EVERYONE

I will P.M. those who ask.

This post is a little shorter, but sooner.

I still see so many type-os in the first post :rolleyes:
    ------------------------------------------

?Obi Bandah.? Qui-Gon had called him, but Obi-Wan was still somewhere else. Maybe it was the sun; maybe it was something else. Qui-Gon put his large hand in the young man?s face and waved. It was even weirder for Kenobi to hear Jinn say, ?Yoo hoo.? It got his attention. ?Clean this up. It?s time to be moving on.?

It wasn?t as if Obi-Wan had never had chores or waited on his elders, it was that he wasn?t used to being ordered about in such a manner, other than in battle. To make up for his daydreaming Obi-Wan rushed to jump up and grab the remnants of Qui-Gon?s brunch. Then he hesitated, to ask, ?Umm, where Master??

Unknown to the young Jedi, the woman, Chhaati, was covering for his mistake in disguise when she derided, ??I swear the baan breeders are breeding them stupider these days. Don?t buy from whoever sold you this one again Qui Jaadu.?

Trying to keep a strait face, Qui-Gon defended, ?He has his qualities Chhaati Basiir.?

?I?ll have to take your word for it.? Chhaati turned towards the younger woman and instructed, ?Show him, Saaz Baandi.? Cha moved her hand in a dismissing wave.

Saaz seemed to be just as slow in responding to her owner?s orders. Cha asked, ?What is the problem??

?Mistress,? Saaz answered. ?If I show Qui Jaadu?s Bandah where to take the remains, you will be unshaded.?

?It is a price I am willing to pay.?

Saaz still didn?t move.

?Now what?? Cha asked keeping her voice smooth but with a definite agitation.

?I don?t want to bring your beautiful sun blocker near the recycle bins.?

It struck Obi-Wan that the younger woman was stalling, truing to defy her master by ?playing? dumb.

Qui-Gon attempted to end the stand off by saying, ?Allow me to hold it for you.?

?Oh no Qui Jaadu,? Saaz protested. ?It would be beneath one of your standing to shade even a great a lady as my mistress.?

Qui-Gon looked as if he had just been trumped on a Dajarik board, but Saaz found out what Obi already knew. The Jedi Master always had a counter maneuver.

?I did not say I would do your duty for you young Baandi,? Qui said. ?I will merely keep Chhaati Basiir?s lovely sun blocker from getting sandy.?

?But - - ?

Before Saaz could continue the match of wills, Cha put her foot down. ?BAANDI!? Her voice was raised; it went back to the calm it had been before when she continued, ?Just hand the sun blocker to Lord Qui and go help the boy.?

The cunning look that had grown on the girl?s face disappeared. The spirit she had shown evaporated. She had been put in her place. ?Yes Mistress - - ? Saaz handed the parasol to Qui-Gon. She dared not look the ?lord? in the eye. Not for the reason Obi-Wan first suspected. Saaz kept her head down as she gestured for Obi to follow her. ?Over here Bandah of Qui Jaadu.?

The girl led the boy to an alley between several of the buildings. It smelled terrible. There were various bins placed there. The girl stood there as if the boy was supposed to know something. Obi-Wan couldn?t help notice that Saaz was wiping her face though she tried to hide it. He heard a sniffle before she asked, ?You are not a city boy are you??

?Not this city,? Obi replied.

Saaz walked next to the bins. She would point to one, tell him what went in it, dropping her hand back down to her side each time. ?That one is for the garbage. That one is for the parchment.? When he was left with the clay plate and cup she pointed again. ?In there.?

Obi-Wan peeked over the edge of this bin. He tossed the utensils in and they crashed into the ones that were already within. He noticed that the sound made Saaz slightly wince. He joked, ?You people ever hear of washing the dishes??

That made Saaz smile a little. ?Not on the caravan road. The clay guild will recycle them.? She looked up from the foot gazing she?d be

10. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    Yoo hoo??? That just struck me funny! [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

I'm quite curious as to what lesson this is going to entail for Obi-Wan and wonder if it's going to into more a mission than lesson. Not sure about Saaz either yet. [face_thinking]

11. Ani-maniac

Ani-maniac Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 5, 2005
    You know, I think Qui-Gon is rather enjoying this. ;)

:D :D :D

Great work, I look forward to seeing what happens next!

And thank you for the PM. :)

Ani-maniac

12. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004

this is good Jodi

But I think Qui-Gon is taking the "Slave"
    bit with Obi a bit Far[face_laugh]

I think Qui is enjoying seeing Obi
    not in control:D

=D=

13. Kestrel_Kenobi

Sep 26, 2005
    :D

Great update jodi...can you pm me when you update m'dear?

Thanks!

14. MASTER_KAYM

Aug 3, 2004
    Cool update :D I really liked this chapter!

15. JagF

Jan 27, 2006
    Qui-Gon seems to be having fun. :D

Great update!

Can't wait to read the next post !

16. jodiwent

Feb 11, 2000
    I wanted to thank everyone who has replied to this, Kestrel_Kenobi, MASTER_KAYM, micky-nikki, Ani-maniac, Healer_Leona, JagF, Terra_Wan_Kenobi, & Gkilkenny.

I got side tracked by the blizard, but here is some more.
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    Qui-Gon stood up from the table offering a hand up to Chhaati. The woman took his hand and stood. To Obi-Wan?s surprise, she did not let go of it. The younger Jedi also took note as his master and Cha walked along not only holding hands but also arm in arm. Saaz walked slightly behind, still shielding her mistress from the afternoon sun. Obi-Wan followed, not as closely. When he fell a little bit too far behind Qui-Gon called after him, ?Obi Bandah, do not dawdle. This is a blue zone after all.?

Obi-Wan had no idea what that was supposed to mean.

?The ban-enforcers will have that one if he?s not careful,? Chhaati added. ?Especially if he doesn?t have his papers.?

Kenobi figured out where they were headed when he saw an area where there were many large hovering transports. One of them was being loaded.

?Is that ours?? Qui-Gon asked.?

?It is,? Cha answered. ?If you could lend your bandah, we can fetch my things.?

?Of course. I would be happy to lend you Obi for the task.?

A cheeky thought of ?I bet you would? stayed in Obi?s mind, not reaching his mouth.

?Here is the retrieval ticket.? Cha pulled out a small piece of flimsy-plast with a number on it. Obi-Wan went to take the number but Qui-Gon made a ?hut? sound that sounded like he was scolding an unruly canine. At the same time, with her eyes, Saaz signaled to Obi that he was doing something wrong. Before he could get himself into trouble, she held out her hand and waited for Chhaati to give her the ticket. The girl then handed it to Obi.

?Over there.? Saaz pointed to where Cha?s things could be retrieved. The line looked long.

?Well go on,? Qui prodded. ?The sooner you move the sooner we can go.?

Obi-Wan thought about opening his mouth, but the transport station was a busy place. He would keep the charade. When the young Jedi reached the baggage holding area he noticed there were two lines; One with people who looked like Qui-Gon and Chhaati, and another with people who looked like him. Obi knew the second line was where he?d better stand.

If the adults were in a hurry, they were going to be disappointed. The line, as Obi would learn, was as slow as everything on this planet. Fortunately, that included when the transport leave. It was at least a quarter of an hour before Kenobi got to the window. He was smiling when he handed the claim ticket over to the baggage droid. He was frowning when he saw the size of Cha?s bag. It was almost as big as he was. He was furrowing every part of his face when the check droid called him back to add three smaller bags to the load. Those the droid could drape around the young man?s arms.

Obi inquired, ?Is that it??

?I believe it is, Sir,? the droid answered.

As Kenobi dragged off the baggage he could hear someone reprimanding the droid. ?Kay-Too, you don?t call a bandah sir.? The reprimand was followed by a clunking sound. The poor droid had been biffed on the head.

With the three smaller bags hanging off of him, Obi struggled to drag the large trunk like bag over to where he saw Qui and Cha sipping on what looked like chilled drinks while Saaz stood by as always shading her mistress from the sun. His struggle came to a grinding halt in the middle of the sandy road. It was time to reposition his load. As Obi was about to pick the large bag up again he saw a young man, dressed slave style, barreling strait at him. Not seeing Obi or the baggage, the runner slammed right into both. As he fell Kenobi saw two men with electro-staffs running in their direction.

The pursuers shouted out to everyone, ?Out of the way! Run away Ban!?

Everyone did get out of the way. There were even a few high-pitched shrieks from ladies in the crowd. It was not the rough looking fellows they were afraid of. They were

17. Kestrel_Kenobi

Sep 26, 2005
    :eek:

?It means - - ? Saaz cleared her throat nervously. ?It means, well it?s meant to signal to the other bandah and baandi that our masters wish us to breed.?

You always manage to shock me Jodi - and leave me wanting more! :D

Wonderful as always m'dear - update soon!

18. JagF

Jan 27, 2006
    BREED! :eek: I think I've gone into shock. I was definately not expecting that.
    Great chapter, looking forward to the next one!

19. MASTER_KAYM

Aug 3, 2004
    Breed! :p I'd give anything to see the look on Obi-Wan's face [face_laugh]

Really good chapter once again :D

20. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    'I bet you would.' [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

Ahhhh, so Chhaati and Saaz were in on it all the time. They did well with hiding it. Love that last line, wish I could have seen Obi-Wan's face when she said it. :D :D

Excellent post Jodiwent!!

21. Star_Drifter

Star_Drifter Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 18, 2005
    o_O Just what kind of a dream was this, hmmmm?

I suppose it is the only way they can stay together, isn't it... [face_thinking]

You'd better behave, Obi, or Darth Mom will get you! [face_mischief]

And, you'd better finish your Halloween story, jodiwent, or I'll have to get you, too! ;)

More of both, when you can, and I'll read when I can. Darth RL is after me... [face_frustrated]

Star

22. jodiwent

Feb 11, 2000
    Happy Vallentine's Day [face_love] [:D] :* to all the readers.

Thanks for reading and replying again Kestrel_Kenobi, JagF, MASTER_KAYM, Healer_Leona, & Star_Drifter.

[face_devil] So you liked my evil cliffy. [face_laugh] Don't worry nothing for Darth Mom to get after in here ;) I havn't even gotten to the dream part, and it wasn't THAT kind of dream LOL.

Funny how more than one reader wondered about the look on Obi's face, my thoughts exactly.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

?Breed?? As soon as he had heard that word, Obi-Wan felt dizzy. Normally on hearing talk of such a subject he would have turned as bright red as the plastic bands that bound him to Saaz. This time he turned as pale as the palest shade humans came in. ?Did she just say our masters want us to - - ? ?Breed?? He looked like he might hyperventilate at any moment. Instinctively he began to try and get the red band off of his wrist.

?Stop that,? Saaz said in a hushed but commanding voice. ?It won?t come off anyway.?

?Oh yes it will,? Obi declared.

?Knock it off. You?re going to cause suspicion. Only your master can remove that.?

Then we?re going back to where he is.? Obi pulled away in the direction they had just come from. ?There are a few things I?d like to say to him.? When he reached the whole two feet the cord allowed him to get away from Saaz he felt the tug of the restraint. He pulled to get Saaz to move. Not budging, she proved stronger than he thought.

Through gritted teeth Saaz asked, ?What is your problem??

?My problem?? Obi took a good look at the girl, no the woman, standing in front of him. 'Does she actually think they were going to - - ' Obi was feeling faint again.

Arms crossed in front of her, Saaz made huffing exhalation before saying, ?My mistress told me your kind - - ? she didn?t dare call him a Jedi in public. ? - - had aversions to such things. But I didn?t expect you to be so spineless about it.?

?Spineless?? Obi?s brow was furrowing. He advanced toward Saaz. ?You want to see some breeding, I?ll show you some breeding.? As soon as he said it, he was covering his mouth to prevent any other foolishness from escaping. ?Where did that come from?? he asked himself. At the same time he was furious at Qui-Gon for not warning him. Though how his master could have warned him he wasn?t sure. ?Tell me I can?t have a relationship with someone I love, but turn around and tell me it?s all right to breed with a complete stranger. That makes sense. Complete Jinn logic.?

Kenobi was sure this was quite against the code. Then again they were not in the Republic. Then again, what Qui-Gon had said about the Force earlier, applied to the code as well. It didn?t stop at the boarder. In the moment that all of these thoughts ran through Obi?s head, Saaz was saying something. She seemed to have the strength of two. She pulled him aside where her words would only be heard by him. ?What did you just say??

Now Obi-Wan was felling a bit intimidated. He meekly repeated, ?you want to see breeding, I?ll show you breeding?? He has said this as a question, as if to ask ?was that the statement you were referring to??

?Let?s get something strait, I never said anything about wanting to see breeding.?

?But you - - ?

?No I didn?t.?

?You said our masters want us to breed.?

?I said, the stupid red bands were a signal to other bandah and baandi that they wanted us to breed.?

Obi?s voice cracked as he asked, ?And - - and why would we want to signal that our masters want us to breed, if they don?t??

?Maybe you are a ponga,? Saaz said with a sigh.

?And what does that word mean? Several people have referred to me as that.?

?It means - - ? Saaz approached with a fierce look on her face. She took the palm of her hand and biffed Obi on the top of his forehead. ? - - Stupid.? She biffed him again. ? - - Idiot.? Then she flicked a finger against that same spot. ? - - Dingle b

23. MASTER_KAYM

Aug 3, 2004
    This time he turned as pale as the palest shade humans came in. ?Did she just say our masters want us to - - ? ?Breed?? He looked like he might hyperventilate at any moment.

[face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh] Poor Obi! This part was so funny :p

What a great post once again! :D

And Happy Valentine's day!!! @};- This post was a wonderful gift! [face_love]

24. Kestrel_Kenobi

Sep 26, 2005
    Now Obi-Wan was felling a bit intimidated. He meekly repeated, ?you want to see breeding, I?ll show you breeding?? He has said this as a question, as if to ask ?was that the statement you were referring to??

[face_laugh] Lovely update...poor Obi - sounds like he needs a few lessons [face_mischief]...update soon.

& Happy Valentine's Day Jodi! @};-

25. micky-nikki

micky-nikki Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 31, 2005
    GRRR how did I miss so many posts! :(

I can't put into words how much I'm enjoying this fic. It's such an original idea and your writing style is wonderful. And I love Obi's reaction to the red bands. Typical teenage guy :rolleyes: Awesome updates, hope to see more soon!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.