main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Hearts are Meant To--another OT fic (COMPLETED--12/15)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by KnightMara, Jan 3, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MariahJade2

MariahJade2 Former Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 5 VIP

Mar 18, 2001
    Where is the rest??? I need the rest!!! Now!!!! That must have been hard for him. I think I know who our secret operative is. :) <Sniff> Do I need to get my tissue box for the last part?

2. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Hmmm, operative. I wonder who that could be. :)

3. padawan lunetta

padawan lunetta Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 1999
    I need the rest of it too! I think you worked well with ending it after TAB... Lukie really shoulda listened to the poor Two One Bee ;)

4. Herman Snerd

Herman Snerd Jedi Master star 6

Oct 31, 1999
    You've tickled my skeptical meter.

Why has this 'operative' suddenly felt the need to reveal this information?

5. jade51999

jade51999 Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    Hey..

so yea your refrences to TAB were vague enough taht it worked..

:)

oh btw..the "operative" hmmmm

good job thanks!

6. Padawan_Di-Lee

Padawan_Di-Lee Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 15, 2000
    A post! How did I miss a post?!

Wonderful job portraying Luke's summoning of courage to disclose his hertiage to Mon Motha. Can't wait to see how he reacts when he learns who the operative is.

7. Tarado

Tarado Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 6, 2001
    Terrific!

More please!

8. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    I'm late again. I hope that this means that the rest of the epilogue is close at hand. Very good job with Luke's emotions.

I'd love to see another young Luke story. He is sooo cute!

9. KnightMara

KnightMara Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 13, 1999
    Here's a quick post of the next segment of the epilogue before I get back to the midterm averaging of grades I've been buried under for the past few days. Hope this carries you all through to the weekend (when I get that much closer to freedom! Or at least two weeks of holiday vacation!)

"I can confirm only this," he said, his voice soft but unwavering. "I am the son of Anakin Skywalker, a Jedi who was consumed and destroyed by the Dark Side twenty years ago. And during my lifetime, until the moment he gave his own life to save mine aboard the Death Star, he was known as Darth Vader."

It was hard not to miss the slight stiffening of Mon Mothma?s posture in response to Luke?s declaration. But he?d said it, and there was no turning back, not that he?d want to anyway. He?d made his peace with the truth. Now he could only wait to see what others would do with it.

"How long have you known of this?" the Alliance leader asked quietly.

Luke sighed and lowered his gaze. "Vader told me himself at Bespin, but I refused to believe it for a long time. In fact, it wasn?t until just before the mission to Endor that I learned that he spoke the truth."

"Vader took your hand at Bespin, did he not?" Mon Mothma asked, clearly dismayed.

"Yes," Luke replied with a humorless grin. "That didn?t exactly help his case any, that?s for certain. I lost my hand, my saber?he made that lightsaber, did you know that?" He paused, not really expecting an answer before he continued, "Ben?Obi-wan Kenobi, I mean?gave it to me. He told me that it belonged to my father, and that my father had been murdered by Darth Vader. Ben had a way of telling the truth from ?a certain point of view,? as he put it. I, of course, took him literally . . . until Bespin." There was another pause, and another sigh. Then Luke plowed on. "On Bespin, Vader told me he was my father, and then he tried to convince me to join him . . . said we could destroy the Emperor and rule the galaxy together. I refused. I chose death instead. I would have died, had the Falcon not rescued me. For a long time I wished I had died."

The silence from Mon Mothma pulled his gaze upward, and he met her shaken expression. Apparently she hadn?t expected him to reveal all this when she summoned him.

Still holding her gaze, he added, "Then I realized that I had to go on. I owed it to the Alliance, to my dearest friends who had rescued me, to the Jedi who had died for their devotion to the light, and to those who had struggled to survive so that I might bring back that light."

Finding her voice, Mon Mothma asked, "Then why did you leave the strike team on Endor?"

"Because I could never be a true Jedi unless I faced Vader again," he answered, "and because of my presence in the Force. He knew where the team was. He could sense it because he could sense me. I had to surrender?to save the mission, and to save the Jedi. I had to bring Vader back to the light, or die trying."

"But you were his son," she interrupted. "Did you never feel loyalty toward him?"

"Not to Vader, no," Luke answered simply. "My father was Anakin Skywalker, a Jedi. Vader was corrupt, evil, a servant to the Emperor. How could I feel any compassion for that? No, I wanted to bring Anakin back from wherever he?d gone while Vader existed. That was all."

"And you succeeded?"

Luke nodded, his throat constricting. "He died saving my life. He killed the Emperor because the Emperor nearly killed me. In the end . . . in the end, he was Anakin Skywalker again, not Vader. Not the monster who?d killed the Jedi, my family, my friends, and scores of others. Not the vile thing that tormented Leia on the first Death Star. No, that man was destroyed the moment Anakin Skywalker felt compassion, when he gave his own life for mine."

A long silence followed. Luke had run out of things to say, though he felt he?d only just tapped the deep well of emotion he had yet to come to terms with. He fisted his hands to stop them from trembling, and blinked unwanted moistur

10. Herman Snerd

Oct 31, 1999
    [dramatic music]Dum dum dum!!![/dramatic music]

Heh heh, looks like I made it here first. :D

One thing I'd suggest though. Having Genna show up doesn't seem to fit very well in the epilogue of this story.

To me it would work better as the launching point for an all new fic. :D [face_mischief]

11. MariahJade2

Mar 18, 2001
    What I want to know is why Genna revealed the info in the first place? :) You know I would love a sequel to this too, but I do think they need to have a parting talk. I would bring her back some time in the future.

I'm sorry to see this ending, this has been fun to read.

12. KnightMara

Apr 13, 1999
    Actually, Herman, the reason I pulled her into the ending of the story was because I don't want to launch into a whole new fic. Yeah, I was considering the ANH-Vader-escapes-the-Death-Star type ending with room for another story. . .but truth be told, I just want to end this one. It's gone on for too darn long. . .at least for me. So I opted to shut the door on the whole shebang by bringing her in. (I think it's the Darth Real Life/I don't want a fanfic hanging over my head syndrome, actually [face_blush] )

Of course, you have every right to be critical of that decision. So long as you don't hate me Herman! :D I don't think I could bear it! ;) hehehe

Mariah, you hit the nail on the head there. :)

BTW, there's only one post left.

13. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! That was great! The blood pooling in his feet was rather amusing. I want more!

14. Whiskey in the Jar-Jar

Whiskey in the Jar-Jar Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 17, 2000
    <sigh> only one post left.

Well, it's been a hell of a run, KM. Nice work :D

Can't wait to see the end, though I'll be sorry to see it.

15. jade51999

jade51999 Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    Wow..

are we to assume this is running AU?

or will all ties be tied up with the last post?

:)
    he he

you rock KM this has been a great run..

btw guys i'm running out of stores..all the ones i've followed for the year are ending..
    so are there any good ones you allr ecommend?

P

16. Herman Snerd

Oct 31, 1999
    I said that with tongue firmly planted in cheek just to prod you into your next story. :D

You know I could never hate you. [face_love]

17. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    After finding out Vader was his father, I don't think anything could surprise Luke. Except maybe that. ;)

Sigh, its almost over. Oh well, all good things must come to an end and this was a good thing.

18. Skycrawler

Skycrawler Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 7, 2000
    that was great! ooohhh the suspense!

19. Padawan_Di-Lee

Oct 15, 2000
    Wonderful post once again, KM. I have always been disappointed that the EU didn't handle Luke revealing the truth about his father (or if it did, I missed it).

I'll be sad to see this one end. It does seem that so many of the mainstay fics I've been reading are coming to a close. So don't take too long of a break from writing, KM. I need my SW fix, after all. ;)

20. MariahJade2

Mar 18, 2001
    Just upping till the last post comes. <sigh>
    So sad. At least I still have Whispers in the night to read.

21. KnightMara

Apr 13, 1999
    Thank you all for sticking with this to the bitter end. This story has gone on for almost a year (I was considering waiting a few more weeks to post this so I could end it on the anniversary of its birth, but I reconsidered), but now it has come to a close. Hope you all enjoy it.

Genna was struggling to keep up with Luke?s rapid strides as he made his way back to the shuttle bay. "Luke, wait! Please! Hear me out!"

Though she had hoped for the best, she?d known he probably wouldn?t take this well. She hadn?t quite expected him to storm out of the office of one of the Alliance?s most prominent leaders without a word, however. After all, from what she?d gathered in the year spent working intelligence, he had matured and mastered some control over his emotions. Apparently, that control was still fragile?especially when tested in such a manner.

Luke still refused to slow down or regard her pleas.

"Luke!" she continued to shout after him. "Damn it, Luke! Stop!"

With an abruptness that startled her, he spun around. His blue eyes flashed brilliantly in a face gone much too pale. "What?"

Genna swallowed. At least he was acknowledging her now. "Please, let me explain all of this."

"Explain what?" he demanded, advancing a step. "Explain how you kept this from me? About how you knew all this time and never bothered to tell me? About how you faked your own death and left me alone to feel heartbroken and miserable and responsible and wretchedly guilty?"

"Luke, I didn?t know," Genna hastily interrupted. "I didn?t know about Vader. I didn?t believe it." At Luke?s dubious glare, she went on, "I didn?t! Laire told me, the day he shot me. He showed me data that was too ridiculous to be true. He told me, and then he died, and the evidence was destroyed so I had nothing to make me believe it was anything but a twisted lie! Believe me, I wanted to forget!"

The face that stared back at her was one of stone. There was no forgiveness there, nor was there understanding. In fact, there was no emotion whatsoever. "And your ?death??" The last word was delivered dripping in sarcasm.

"Command," she replied, desperate to reach him. "They moved me to a secret location before I was even recovered. I didn?t know what was going on, I swear to you! They didn?t want me flying anymore! Instead, they forced me into intelligence! Forced me, Luke! Everything that defined who I was was suddenly gone! They wanted me as far away from you as possible, and the only way they thought to do that was to tell you that I was dead. And I?m sorry, Luke! I?m so sorry!"

In response, his eyes softened slightly, but his jaw was still tight. He looked away from her and crossed to a nearby wall, leaning his weight upon it stiffly even as a muscle in his cheek twitched. "Why this? Why now?"

"You deserted the strike team, Luke." She struggled to keep her voice even. "In the middle of one of the most important battles in the Alliance?s history, you up and left. And not only that, you allowed yourself to be captured and taken to the Death Star. Command wanted an explanation." She paused before saying softly, "I wanted an explanation."

His blue gaze met hers sharply. "You?"

Unable to hold his gaze any longer, she looked down at her booted feet. "I was scared. Scared that Laire had told me the truth, scared that you had somehow allowed family loyalty to override your loyalty to the Alliance, scared that all my trust in you had been betrayed."

Luke gave a dark chuckle. "You?re one to talk of betrayed trust."

The remark cut deep. "I never stopped loving you, Luke."

"That?s good to know," Luke responded flatly. "It?s certainly comforting to know that the woman I grieved for all those months ago continued to love me while I thought she was dead."

"That?s not fair!" Genna snapped, looking back up at him. "I had no choice."

"But I paid for it nevertheless!"

"And for that I am truly sorry, Luke," she cried, desperation compelling her to reach out and take his hand.

22. Herman Snerd

Oct 31, 1999
    *applause*

23. padawan lunetta

padawan lunetta Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 1999
    *stands and applauds*

24. Padawan_Di-Lee

Oct 15, 2000
    *sniff*

That was such a sad, yet wonderfully perfect ending. Great job, KM!

25. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Applause, nothing. Standing ovation! That was great, and absolutely appropriate to their relationship.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.