main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Chic, IL Heath Ledger found dead...?

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by darthgoat, Jan 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darthgoat

darthgoat Jedi Master star 4

Sep 6, 2001
    http://cnn.com

WT*???

2. Hazmatt

Hazmatt Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 16, 2002
    QFT. Now I'll never get to find out if he had beer-flavored nipples.

3. Bosh_Talk

Bosh_Talk Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    I'll tell you who I feel sorry for...Terry Gilliam. That guy can't catch a break when making a movie.

Heath! You sonofawhoresumbitch! I wish I knew how to quit you.

D'
    "Problem solved."

4. Bobafemme

Bobafemme FF Jedi Council Member, Chicago IL RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 25, 2000
    I didn't believe it until I saw it at CNN. Reminds me of when River Phoenix died.

5. darthgoat

Sep 6, 2001
    Fixed.

Honestly, I feel sorry for his daughter.

6. TAUNTAUN_WE

TAUNTAUN_WE Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 23, 2002
    OK, so I know this isn't the case here, but The Dark Knight (featuring Ledger as the Joker) is opening in July. I hate to say it, but when I heard he was dead one of my first thoughts was, how long will it be before some actor fakes their own death as part of a movie promo, only to "return from the dead" at the premiere? It would be the ultimate in viral marketing. Cloverfield went so far as to create MySpace pages for the characters in the film - at what point will some studio or actor feel the need to up the ante by faking a death in order to promote a film?

Again, I am in no way whatsoever saying I think this is the case here. And I mean no disrespect to Ledger or his family, friends, or fans. I'm saying, this question came to mind. It hasn't been done yet, has it?

7. Bosh_Talk

Nov 29, 2000
    Stupid send button.

8. Le_Penguin

Le_Penguin Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 26, 2000
    Heath Ledger was no Andy Kaufman.

Besides, faking your death is harder than it looks, especially if you plan to return as yourself at any time in the future. In order to convince the authorities (and by extension, the fact-checking media), you and probably several other people would have to engage in multiple acts of fraud that would surely land a prison sentence upon your return. Not sure if any movie premiere publicity is worth that (tho Russell Crowe did get arrested for fighting just as that movie about him as a boxer was opening...)

Too bad about Ledger tho. He was a genuinely talented actor. Hate to be callous, but I hope this won't interfere with his final performance this summer.

-Le Penguin
    "People will die."

9. The Lurker

The Lurker Jedi Master star 4

Aug 19, 1999
    I just saw this story - it's unbelievable.

So very young - and his daughter only 2 yrs old.

I wonder if it was an accident...

10. darthgoat

Sep 6, 2001
    Most reports are saying sleeping pill OD coupled with pneumonia and alcohol are the cause of death.

TDK is currently in post production so at least all his scenes were shot. I don't know how they are going to do ADR but there has to be some computerized way or doing it.

11. Dex_Luminara

Dex_Luminara Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 21, 2004
    There are shades of River Phoenix but my initial reaction was much more akin to when Brandon Lee dies filming "The Crow". I loved that film. It was his career defining role. And now after having just filmed what many in the know are saying is a phenomenal version of a classic comic book villain himself, only to be found dead in his prime...sigh! I believe TDK will be a fitting memorium for the talent he possessed, but this is just such a waste and loss!

12. kosure

kosure Jedi Master star 3

Mar 5, 2004
    I never thought I'd be so affected by Heath Ledger's death, but I'm compelled, despite myself.

13. Hazmatt

Aug 16, 2002
    He certainly got a better deal that Raul Julia.

14. DarthAstuart

DarthAstuart Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    I feel real bad for his daughter too. Especially since it seems at this point like it was probably an accidental death. How tragic.

15. JodoKast74

JodoKast74 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 10, 2001
    [image=http://movie-chess.hemobile.de/9094/The%20Addams%20Family%2001.jpg]

How true.

16. Hazmatt

Aug 16, 2002
    You missed it by one. I was talking about his LAST movie...
    [image=http://darkdiamond.net/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/raul-julia-bison.jpg]

Wait...are you implying that a sadistic Anjelica Huston wearing a painted on dress is a bad thing? Are you HIGH?

17. JediAutobot

JediAutobot Jedi Master star 4

Dec 3, 2000
    I have to echo Femme here, I thought of River Phoenix also.

18. JodoKast74

JodoKast74 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 10, 2001
    My God, I erased the thought of that movie from my mind. Oh, why Raul!!!!!

19. Bosh_Talk

Nov 29, 2000
    This is totally true, and the bad thing about it (amongst other things) is how completely distracting it will be while watching Dark Knight. Every few minute's you'll be like...."wow, that guy's dead."........"I can't believe this guy is dead". It's different than watching a movie that was made well before someone died.....like a Rick Moranis film.

Dave

20. TomTav

TomTav Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 1, 2002
    Brad Barron Renfro (July 25, 1982 ? January 15, 2008)
    Heathcliff Andrew Ledger (April 4, 1979 ? January 22, 2008)

So who is going to be third?
    Doesn't this aways go in threes?

21. Le_Penguin

Le_Penguin Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 26, 2000
    Susan Plechette

On Phoenix/Lee/Ledger... I'd put Ledger way above the other two, both in established films and actual talent. You could make a case for Phoenix (not that I'd agree), but I doubt anyone thinks Brandon Lee had anything going for him besides his name.

-Le Penguin
    "Everybody knows"

22. Dex_Luminara

Dex_Luminara Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 21, 2004
    Before "The Crow", I would have been forced to agree with you, having seen his entire repertoire. But after? I won't even attempt to predict what might have been. As I stated that film would have been his career definer. There is no doubt in my mind that that film would haven been every bit as popular without the "star killed" publicity. It was the frame of mind of the movie going public at the time that carried it. The rise of all things goth, and dark, and the popularity of the comics didn't hurt either. All I'm saying is all 3 of them "coulda been a contender" but I will grant you that Phoenix and Ledger had up to their deaths chosen riskier roles than Lee.

23. Hawk-Bat

Hawk-Bat Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 4, 2003
    This is sad news. I really liked him in The Patriot and A Knights Tale. He will be missed.

24. DarthAstuart

DarthAstuart Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    Yep, I think A Knight's Tale is way underrated. It's a fun, energetic sword flick with a weird sense of humor.

25. Bosh_Talk

Nov 29, 2000
    Phoenix vs. Ledger is no contest.....Ledger was totally overrated. His "best performance" which is arguably Brokeback, was nothing more than a really good impersonation of Tommy Lee Jones in Lonesome Dove. Speech, mannerisms, attitude, everything except the whole man-loving. He was completely unremarkable in Brothers Grimm & Dogtown, and terrible in Candy. Granted he was likable in The Patriot and A Knight's Tale. Ledger was just one of those staple actors who is only as good as the movie he's in.

Phoenix on the other hand always gave great performances (even in crappy movies). He was one of the few really good child actors who was able to keep the momentum going as an adult. I did hate everything about Jimmy Reardon, but even RP was watchable. I'll put his performances in My Private Idaho and I Love You To Death against anything Ledger has done (not including the Joker, which may be the next coming of Sir Lawrence Olivier).

D'
    Edit: I'm actually not that passionate about either of those actors, so I have no idea why I wrote 2 paragraphs on them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.