main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Heeps & Harems: TCW Strikes Again!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Barriss_Coffee, Nov 4, 2012.

1. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    So this comic "A Small Scrappy War" is quite the riot.

I'm usually bored to tears with these Clone Wars comics and their drab plots, but this one was all-out weird. My EU sense was sparked from the first page, where you're introduced to Rex and co. pulling some stunt on Biitu. For those of you who don't know, Biitu was featured in the old Droids TV show in a series of episodes titled "The Great Heep."

Why is this at all interesting? Well first, it's old-school 80s tv. Second, The Great Heep is about a giant transformer-esque monstrosity who runs -- get this -- a droid harem.

I kid you not. A droid harem.

0:20 -

Aw man I love how Jason and Dan tried to make Screed a competent villain.

...back on topic. So the second reason this is hilarious is that Mr. Harem-Bot is actually an Abominor from the Yuuzhan Vong galaxy that may have been responsible for the YV genocide, leading to the YV/NJO invasion.

So you wonder why the YV were so direly droid-phobic? Because I betchya those Abominors filled their galaxy with Droid Harems. The YV just couldn't take it. They embraced pain instead.That droid love is weird man. You see some of it in the Great Heep episodes and it's like... whoh.

Anyway, so Clone Wars took a stab at Biitu. Hilarious comic. Explores the concept of scrapped battledroids in Republic junkyards attempting to reanimate one another. But the thing is, the whole issue of the Abominor isn't mentioned (presumably he hasn't arrived yet), but there's another droid, the Reanimator, who's sort of a compilation of a bunch of droids and has no other background (aside from the fact that the locals seem to be familiar with his identity -- as if he's been around for a while):

[​IMG]

But -- HOLD ON NOW!!! What does the Wook have to say about the Abominors again?
    OH HO HO HO SOLO! You think you could hide, didn't you, Mr. Harem-bot? Well I see what you did there.

Oh, and Rex?

[​IMG]

Mungo Baobab almost died because of your incompetence. Bad Rex. Baaaad.

2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    wait. THIS is where Screed is from?!?!

also I kind of love "tiny-minded Imperial twit" and am sad I've never been called that before.

Valin__Kenobi likes this.
  3. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    You never watched the glory of Droids?

4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    No. Clearly I've missed out on a gem, here.

Mazzic likes this.
  5. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Oh you don't even know. Wait until you get to the space battle with the Not-A-Wings and Not B-Wings

It made my childhood when I watched it on VHS. Or was it Sci-Fi

6. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I remember watching Droids for the first time a few years back. It's one of the weirdest things ever. It made me think of what would happen if R2-D2 and C-3PO just happened to have wandered onto a He-Man cartoon or something similar.

7. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    It had an obscene amount of camp in it

For example R2 Breakdancing

8. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Screed is/was awesome.

He should have been promoted to Grand Admiral.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  9. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Feels like that would be rude if said on the forums without proper context. I will keep it in mind though.

Anyway, I remember these fondly....then I watched them again, and I find the dry dialogue and slow pacing hard to sit through. Still lots of cool ideas, interesting designs that feel really OT, and a general feeling that the galaxy was a big place.

10. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah, I'd probably have been rather peeved about that since I wouldn't have known the context.

That's why I love WEG. If Droids is the same way, I really ought to give it a shot...

11. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Droids is just wonderful. I bought Season 1 of M*A*S*H on DVD partly based on your recommendation in a Medstar thread a couple of years ago, and now I command you to reciprocate!

12. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    When working on developing the voices for an audio adaptation of Yavin Vassilika, I hunted down the Droids episode with IG-88 in it and watched his scenes over and over and over so that way I could mimic his voice.

That show was a riot, and ol Iggy could have used more cameos.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  13. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Where did you think he was from? :confused:

14. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I don't know, Marvel or something. The way he's presented in other sources (Rebellion, for instance) makes him out to be some sort of old-school badass. I certainly remember a bevy of fanfiction treatments of Screed as an old-line Imperial (confirmed by the recent Warfare stuff with him as this great war hero).

So basically this storied background I've seen for the last 14 years or so and this sort of hammy villain thing I get in this clip is... mind-blowing. :p

...am I really the only one who hasn't seen Droids? Good grief, I need to get my act together. :p

But yes, that certainly sounds fair. Minus the part about you issuing a command. Tsk tsk.

15. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    He there is a reason the Warfare guide made rather clear how much he dropped the ball after the first few years ;) Though you still have to love his custom uniform, especially as it actually looks kind of like the concept art for Ep 3 Imps. :)

16. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    It looks like it's supposed to be a general's greatcoat, something Napoleon or Rommel might wear, but it's animated in a way that just makes it look like he's wearing... a dress. :p

Still, I might be willing to watch Droids just for him.

17. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Stills make it look better :p [​IMG]

Boba Fett is also in it, back in the days when he was actually cool. :D

18. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    I can't believe that TCW produced something bad!

[​IMG]

19. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah but something tells me that I'd be more interested in a hammy Imperial former war hero than a mysterious silent bounty hunter . . .

Just a hunch.

Gorefiend likes this.
  20. Arrian

Aug 15, 2011
    Don't be a tiny-minded Imperial twit.

21. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    YAY!!!

22. Arrian

Aug 15, 2011
    Double yay: I only got one notification for that quote!

TrakNar likes this.
  23. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah, the quote notifications were fixed yesterday. No more double, triple, notifications at last.

CooperTFN likes this.
  24. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    I'm happy to see it fixed, but I will miss logging on to 30+ notifications for, like, three replies.

MercenaryAce, Zorrixor and JackG like this.
  25. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Or getting a notification that I was quoted because someone liked the post. Or notifications every time a quoted post is edited. Or just three or four alerts for one quote.

My alerts will seem so... empty...