main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

heh heh

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by halibut, Feb 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Asabrush

Darth_Asabrush Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 21, 2000
    So it is agreed (although most of us already knew) that Muslims are not a race of people.

I mentioned the Jews because I remember watching Newsnight or some other BBC news programme where religion and race were being discussed and it was agreed by those on said BBC programme that the Jews were unique in that they were covered by race hatred legislation because they were considered a race of people as well as followers of Judiaism.

I believe I am right in this matter. ;)

One other point I wish to make. The IRA are anti-BRITISH not anti English.

Knock knock....

2. orn-free-tada

orn-free-tada Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 11, 2001
    [alan partridge] "yer daft racist"[/alan partridge]

3. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    So Darth, as I asked before: Why are Jews considered a race?

4. Welshguy

Welshguy Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2002
    I agree with you that the IRA are anti British, but to the best of my knowledge they have never bombed anywhere in Scotland or Wales.

Though I could be wrong?? I can't say 100% for Scotland but I know Wales has never been a target for the IRA.

Maybe they have some misguided feelings of kinship seeing as we are fellow Celts and also "under" English rule.

Personally I think the IRA will never fully accept power sharing and that piece of human scum Gerry Adams will lead them back to their old terrorist activities before to long.

5. Darth_Asabrush

May 21, 2000
    Hal,

Maybe I'm wrong. Being neither a Jew or someone who is "religious" I can't really class myself as an expert. I was taking the word of "experts" and journalists who have been very informative and more often than not, correct in the past.

Jews as far as I could gather (from the discussion) were considered both a race and a religious community. Even though one can be converted to the Jewish religion obviously one cannot be converted to a race (unless of course you are Michael Jackson and look how badly that turned out).

There is of course an on going discussion in the Jewish community about this topic - by academia if not by the populus. This makes interesting reading that may go a litte way to explaining things.

I don't care either way to be honest with you. I was merely making a comment on information I could remember from a discussion on a news programme. My opinion could possible be changed Halibut if you can give me a real answer - sorry I can't do this myself ;)

Until that time, I'm going to believe that Jews are both a race and a religious community.

As for the IRA.... don't even get me started on that bunch of gangsters! [face_plain]

D_A Edit: Another Link

6. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    I'm not going to read links to essays and discussions, although I appreciate you posting them.

I'm interested in why YOU personally believe that members of one religion can be considered a race, and not another.

If you've heard or read things to make you believe that Jews are a race, then why does that not make Muslims a race by default in your eyes :)

7. darren

darren Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 21, 2000
    BLIND?????

Why not deaf?

8. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    I dunno. You work for the armed forces, you tell me

9. Sifu

Sifu Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 18, 1999
    I think it's because the Jewish religion originated from one of the Prophets to a specific group of people (the tribes of Israel). And the people that followed this religion are mostly of the same race (Israeli) and believe in Judaism.

Think about it - Judaism is one of the three major religions but only has around 18 million followers (if I'm not mistaken) whereas Islam has appx 1.5 billion followers and Christianity 3 billion.

So the Jews have come from and not spread out from their Israeli origins.

10. Happy Ninja

Happy Ninja Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 20, 2000
    "I agree with you that the IRA are anti British"

Yeah, I'd say they're anti-English more than anti-British...Or does that constitute when people think "British", they generally think of the English more than the Scottish, Welsh, or Northern Irish?

Then again, who cares about the IRA...Since 9/11 they've become the wonder-pussies of Terrorism, anyway.

Seriously, have you noticed that before 9/11, the IRA thought that they were "all that" -- think they were the hardest men on Earth...The Chavs of terrorism...Then all of a sudden, 9/11 happens, Bush says that no matter where terrorists are, Bush would hunt them down, and then soon after, you don't hear a whisper of the IRA for about 2 1/2 years? Coincidence, or just pure cowardice? Then again, Jerry Adams is just a mumbling ****...Why can't people from Northern Ireland speak in an legible tongue, anyway?

11. DarthArsenal6

DarthArsenal6 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 16, 2001

^

Well HAppy Ninja IRA Wouldn't want a fuel bomb looming over their heads now would they ?

12. Darth_Asabrush

May 21, 2000
    Hal, shame you won't read those links. I think that would go along way to you understanding why I believe the Jews are a race as well as a religion.

Like I've said twice before - I believe it because of the discussion I remember watching by people who seemed informed. Like I've said before, I may be wrong but I haven't done that much research. I am merely taking the word of the people involved in said discussion.

That is why I believe it. I may be being niave but like I've said before - I have an open mind and am willing to change it.

It is quite obvious that Muslims are not a race. It is not obvious that the Jews are not a race.

Ask a Muslim what race he is and I bet he doesn't say "Muslim". Ask a Jew the same question and I bet you get a different answer depending on who you ask.

I was speaking to a lawyer friend yesterday and he believes (even though he's not an expert in this field) that Jews are covered by race hate laws. Muslims are not. Current race hate laws protect religious groups if they can also be identified as a distinct ethnic minority community - such as Jews or Sikhs*. Again, I am taking the word of someone else who admits to not being an expert.

What is clear that the answer is not as clear cut as the Muslim question.

NB* source: BBC News.

Although this does not prove the issue of "race" it does suggest in terms of English law at least that Jews are classed differently to Muslims and are deemed more than just a religion.

13. Sifu

Sifu Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 18, 1999
    Like the Jews, the Sikhs also originate from one race - Punjabi. Which is perhaps why the Race Hate Laws include the Sikh Community.

14. F16WarBird

F16WarBird Jedi Youngling star 4

Aug 5, 2004
    Were the munchkins a race or religion?

I mean, really now. They only lived in the land of Oz, and worked for the wizard, but they had their own language and customs. Could Dorothy marry a munchkin without joining the lollipop guilde? Would she have to have here legs circumsized or something?

15. veritasuk

veritasuk Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2004

Valid points all F16, I shall have to go and have a ponder, in a bar perhaps.

16. F16WarBird

F16WarBird Jedi Youngling star 4

Aug 5, 2004
    *Follows Veri to the pub*

17. Yoshee

Yoshee Former RSA & CR star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2002
    **Is starting to think V has a drink problem**

:p

18. DarthArsenal6

DarthArsenal6 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 16, 2001
    nAH SHE Orders Water

19. _Jedi-Luke_

_Jedi-Luke_ Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 22, 2005
    heh heh heh!
    er...who had the guns? [face_devil]

20. _Jedi-Luke_

_Jedi-Luke_ Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 22, 2005
    ...just for the curious...and evil!!hahaha!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.