"Heir to the Empire," by Timothy Zahn [Bantam, 1991]

Discussion in 'Literature Review Forum' started by dp4m, Feb 6, 2003.

?

Heir to the Empire (by Timothy Zahn [Bantam, 1991])

Poll closed Mar 22, 2012.
10 (Excellent) 263 vote(s) 74.7%
9 26 vote(s) 7.4%
8 26 vote(s) 7.4%
7 12 vote(s) 3.4%
6 (Average) 4 vote(s) 1.1%
5 (Average) 7 vote(s) 2.0%
4 3 vote(s) 0.9%
3 1 vote(s) 0.3%
2 1 vote(s) 0.3%
1 (Poor) 9 vote(s) 2.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. morgoth_17 Jedi Knight

star 1
    I gave it a 9, very good book except for the ysalamiri
  2. Darth_Tynaus Jedi Master

star 4
    I gave it about a 9. I thought it was an awesome book, one of the best Star Wars novels.
  3. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling

star 10

Given that Zahn had to write this book with the assumption that people had only seen the movies, he pulls this off very well. It's a great introduction to the EU for many new readers.
  4. darthmace7 Jedi Youngling

star 4

This is a great novel. I love Jorus and Thrawn is my favorite EU character by far. I just wish there were some way that he could return. I love this entire series.
  5. Warlord_Zsinj Jedi Padawan

Written by the best author to ever grace Star Wars, it gets a ten. This was the second EU book I ever read, and *damn it was the best book I'd ever read at that point. The involving storlyine, the way he perfectly captured the characters, it was all incredible. The entire trilogy deserves a 10.

Warlord Zsinj
  6. GeithJiseo Jedi Master

star 4
    6/10.

I know I'm in the minority, but I never really cared much for Timothy Zahn's writing. IMO, it's just so dry and humorless; Luke, Leia, and Han all acted like zombies with no personalies throughout the entire book. I much prefer KJA's writing style; at least his books are fun (even if they do overdo the whole superweapon thing).

But this book's okay. I don't like Thrawn, never have, never will. C'baoth, however, was a pretty interesting villain (is it true that Zahn originally wanted to have a clone of Obi-Wan as a villain, but LFL wouldn't allow it?). And I liked Mara Jade and Talon Karrde; they were probably the only characters to show at least a little personality.

The best scene: Mara revealing to Luke that she was the Emperor's Hand. Very well done.
  7. Chiss_Imperial Jedi Knight

star 1
    My all time favourite Eu, well written, mysterious and best of all it introduced every one favourite grand admiral: THRAWN!!!

8. JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost

star 5
  9. Thrawn1786 Force Ghost

star 5
    I think I gave it a 10.
    A good start to the whole book series, but it needed more Thrawn in it.
  10. cleveland1000 Jedi Knight

star 2
    this was the second star wars book i read and man i enjoyed reading it. i havent read dark force rising though no offence and all but i couldnt stand to read the leia storyline going on there.
  11. -RebelScum- Force Ghost

star 6
    umm 11 outa 10 its the best intro for a SW movie geek trying to turn Star Wars book geek
  12. DARKSIDE5 Jedi Knight

star 1
    20 out of ten but since it dosen't go that high I choose 10, Thrawn and Karred if I spelled it right were great if only they had lightsabers.
  13. OBIX1 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I'd give it a 10.It's a great book,with a good, instresting story line! :)
  14. crashdown Force Ghost

star 4
    I gave it an 8.

It was a good book, but I had a bit of trouble getting into it....(I think I had a bit of a bad attitude at the time). I didn't start getting into the series until the second book.
  15. Saber_Leader Force Ghost

star 4

An excellent novel and a great way to start Star Wars EU.
  16. andre Jedi Knight

I read this about a year ago and I can't hardly recal the novel. It does have it's moments that were very reminisent of the films, and I think it certainly did an decient job of getting the ball rolling on EU Novellia.

And it also stands great as a lone piece of the trilogy puzzel, and even introduces some concepts the author is still expanding on in new novels.

One of my only complaints is the amount of new species and characters novels like this create. There is so much to draw from already. But I did get my head around it, and gave the novel 70%. I'm sure it's even better when read in conjunction with the other books. Or at least here's hoping. :)
  17. rogue_wookiee Jedi Youngling

star 6
    Aside from possibly the Last Command and the HoT duo. this is the best book there is. It is one of my favorite books out. I'm usually stingy when handing out high marks for anything but this is on a short list of books worthy of 10. And it has lasting appeal. I first read it about 7 years ago and I still enjoy picking it up.
  18. WWE_jedi Jedi Knight

star 1
    i could go into deep detail here but we all know what i would say.

Kick-butt action
  19. Sniper_Wolf Force Ghost

star 4
    7. It was ok, but I find the series to be overrated. Would get it a 6, but bumped it up to a 7 because I like the cover.

wolf
  20. WWE_jedi Jedi Knight

star 1
    sniper wolf what book do u like
  21. sheep21 Jedi Knight

star 2
    This book was the first Star Wars book i read and opened a whole new univaers up to me! It si brilliantly written and has two of my favourite EU characters in it, Captain Pelleaon and Grand Admiral Thrawn, both masterfly written characters.
    This book (rant coming) is of such a high quality that it puts to shame some of the New Jedi Order books available which havent been written to the best standards shall we say?
  22. Rogue9-Horn Force Ghost

star 4
    I gave it a 10, it was great, and he did a excellent job on the Noghri and Thrawn. I give it a shining 10!!!!!
  23. GrandAdmiral_Frank Jedi Master

star 4
    This trilogy is my all time favorite SW trilogy in the EU and I have to say Thrawn is an awesome villain/commander and all the characters were likeable.
  24. GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN Force Ghost

star 5
    Just an overall great book. 10
  25. Darth_Digital Jedi Master

star 4
    It took Darth_Digital about twenty minutes to thoroughly read through the comments pertaining to Tim Zahn's 'Heir to the Empire' novel.

All in all, a good read. Much like the novel itself, a diversity of opinions, -good and bad- regarding same.

Lighting up a cigarette, Digital took a healthy drag, blowing a pume of smoke against the off-white surface of the computer monitor. In between flicks of ash and occassional puffs, the 'Timothy Zahn wannabe' keyed his own opinion about the historic first venture beyond established Star Wars cannon.

He gave it a 9 for excellence, a 10 would have been an insult to the author's intellegence.

To coin a phrase; The novel was indeed, 'artistically done,'

Moving the mouse cursor towards the appropriate icon, Digital clicked for posting...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.