main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Heir to the Empire," by Timothy Zahn [Bantam, 1991]

Discussion in 'Archive: Literature Review Forum' started by dp4m, Feb 6, 2003.

?

Heir to the Empire (by Timothy Zahn [Bantam, 1991])

Poll closed Mar 22, 2012.
  1. 10 (Excellent)

74.7%
  2. 9

7.4%
  3. 8

7.4%
  4. 7

3.4%
  5. 6 (Average)

1.1%
  6. 5 (Average)

2.0%
  7. 4

0.9%
  8. 3

0.3%
  9. 2

0.3%
  10. 1 (Poor)

2.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LINQ0311

LINQ0311 Jedi Master star 2

May 4, 2005
    A great trilogy...second only to the Bounty Hunter Wars by KW Jeter. Just finished TTT this morning, and it was awesome! Highly Recommended!!!

2. malcolm-darth-am-i

malcolm-darth-am-i Jedi Padawan star 4

May 21, 2005
    This book was so good im today reading it for the 3rd time 10

3. Praxelwax

Praxelwax Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 19, 2005
    I easily give this book a 10! This is the book that hooked me into the Expanded Universe!

4. Eddie

Eddie Jedi Master star 3

Jan 16, 2001
    It didn't blow me away. 5.

5. Inara

Inara Jedi Master star 4

Aug 30, 2005
    This book was the first I read of the SW universe - I think I was 12 when I read it, and I LOVED it. It's the only reason I got into Star Wars, and it made me like the movies more. Zahn's writing is a nice mix of technical juxtaposed with a lot of action and heroism, just enough to keep the good guys from being Mary/Gary Su/Stus. Plus, he brought us Fey'la, Karrde, and the Solo twins.

My favorite book by far.

6. boady22

boady22 Jedi Master star 2

Mar 24, 2003
    10* 10* 10*

Zahn is KING. What else can be said?

7. Agent_SkywalKer

Agent_SkywalKer Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 28, 2005
    I just finished this book today! It was EXCELLENT! A brilliant work of literature! =D=

10 of 10!

8. Corellian_Cutie

Corellian_Cutie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 13, 2005
    I just read it...I liked it, Mara and Luke were awesome. I didn't care for Leia's part...

9. Jacen-Vader

Jacen-Vader Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 6, 2005
    10 for thsi book and 10 for all the TNR. Mara rocks, Luke rocks, Thrawn Rocks, Heir of the Empire Rocks.

10. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    In my opinion The Thrawn trilogy to this day is still the best set EU books out there. It captured the sense of adventure and fun of the OT as well as having orginal charachters that are not just Lucas re-treads that to this day are long lasting and the most well known.

11. Master_EdgeCrusher

Master_EdgeCrusher Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 21, 2005
    I went numb the first time these books finally touched my hands, but the second I opened them, I felt like I was in the adventure helping Luke and Mara! God she was hot, and reading more of her, made my blood boil!!!

12. WEEBACCA

WEEBACCA Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 4, 2004
    It's been almost 10 years since the last time I read this book, but IMO this is probably the best SW book ever made! :) 10/10

13. Prodigiousman

Prodigiousman Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 28, 2001
    I remember reading it in I'm guessing early 1992 when i found it at a bookstore while on holiday. Heir to the Empire and Dark Force Rising were both on the shelf and I convinced my parents to get me one of them (I wanted both!) and they said if you finish the first one you can have the second.

I had finished it by the end of the next day and got the second!

A year or so later Last Command came out in hardcover and I've never finished a book faster - got it late arvo at the shops - started reading it at the shopping centre and it was finished that night (will not admit what time i finished!)

A bigger debreif later but since I remember getting the books they reinforce how special they were.

Simply the best.

14. 1_4_Jedi

1_4_Jedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 13, 2006
    10/10

You mean there is more to the Star Wars story after RotJ? Count me in!

Timothy Zahn? Never heard of him, but he writes one hell of a good novel.

Darth Vader has grandchildren ??? Tell me more !

Thrawn. What a guy, I'm sold on the EU already.

I could go on, but I'd rather go back and re-read this book instead.

15. JediStarKiller2

JediStarKiller2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 5, 2006
    I just finished this book tonight and it was amazing. I enjoyed it probably more than Shadows of the Empire.

I rated it a 10. It had me sucked into the story and didn't let me go. I would need to read at least 7 chapters in one setting because I couldn't let go. I kept saying one more chapter, then no one more after this.

It's brilliant...My friend couldn't get into the Zahn writing and the Thrawn trilogy, after I started reading I was afraid I wouldn't be able to as well, but after I read the first chapter I was instantly hooked.

Highly recommended.

16. Darconus

Darconus Jedi Youngling

May 22, 2006
    I'm reading this book for the third time and, since I've now read so many of the Clone Wars novels and "Outbound Flight", this book is almost twice as enjoyable. What's so great about Zahn's style is that everytime you re-read the book you catch something new. Case in point, I had never even noticed that Zahn had included the Praesitlyn Communications Center until this time, after having read "Jedi Trial".
    Plus, the main villain is a bit more believeable. Thrawn isn't all "Ha ha, I'm evil, destroy everything." I actually see parallels between him and Jacen Solo in the Dark Nest trilogy (I haven't read Betrayal yet). Thrawn believes that restoring the New Order is the most important thing, and he fights for what is most important. Sure, he has the bad guy traits of oppressing people and ordering murder and whatnot, but he's also an embodiment of a true bad guy, not the Evil Emperor, but closer, in character to the X-Men's Magneto.

17. MagnusPrimal

MagnusPrimal Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 9, 2006
    For me, it's hard to separate Zahn's books from each other. I'm a total fanboy, I think he's the best thing to hit the EU. I rate this book, and all of his books, a 10. IMHO, the only EU author who even comes close to Zahn is Stackpole, although I do read good things about Allston as well. Zahn is king of the hill, however. It also helps that he created my absolute favorite character, Mara Jade, and he seems to be the only writer who can handle her correctly. Although Stackpole does pretty well in that regard as well.

18. corran2

corran2 Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2006
    I'm giving this a 9.I loved this book,but I thought C'baoth was a little boring and the scenes on Myrkr with Luke and Mara didn't appel to me.

19. PrinceEspaaValorum

PrinceEspaaValorum Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 30, 2005
    When this first came out, I was in heaven. I don't remember, did GL say this meant he was getting ready to do the PT? Anyway, I loved the characerizations, the nostalgia rekindled for the OT. Well-written. Thrawn is my favorite EU character.

20. Darth_gloom

Darth_gloom Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 29, 2005
    Quite simply the most overrated, over-hyped Star Wars novel ever. After reading it I doubted if Zahn had watched any of the movies more than once, several years before. Reads like a Michael Crichton novel, filled with pointless info about technology. The creatures that can suck the force out of Jedi are one of the worst ideas yet. Though I like the character of Mara Jade, she's basically wooden in this book, not a great introduction.

Furthermore, Zahn obviously does not appreciate Vader as a character, his continual usage of the term "Dark Jedi" gets old fast, Grand Admiral Thrawn is not exciting, etc, etc, etc. The most positive aspect is Joruus C'Baoth, but this book was not my favorite Star Wars novel. 3 of 10.

21. Dark_Faith

Dark_Faith Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 30, 2004
    Well, I finnaly finished 'Heir to the Empire' by Timothy Zahn. My first SW novel, read from cover to cover ever besides the movie novelizations. I have to admit, I had the book for years now and tried now and again to read it but, just coulden't do it. It may because I didn't like it I have a problem with all books, because I have a short attention span. But a week ago, I tried one last time and now I just finished it. It was overhyped for me and I'm a bit spoiled about TTT but you know what? I enjoyed it. I was pretty good. I loved Talon Karrade and Mara Jade, but I wasen't crazy about Luke being treated so poorly all through the book. Being hoarded into one cell after another, pushed around under blaster point, put down by Mara....It just feels so odd and stupid for the hero Luke who saved the galaxy in the OT, to be treated like this by a galaxy he helped...I don't know. He deserved more respect. I loved Mara Jade anyway though. Great character. The minor characters were cool too. Like Page, Ghent and Draviss. Lando was written very well but Han felt a little wooden. The references to lines from the OT were welcomed but went a little overboard sometimes. Almost every joke was lifted from the OT....My favorate parts were with Luke and Mara traveling through the woods of Mrykr. You could so feel: future husband and wife. Thrawn was tooooo perfect and intellegent sometimes. I was a little bored by the Leia subplot until the Noghri actrully spoke to Leia. The middle got me really pumped up all through till the end but then the space battle at the end dragged for me. I was like....wha?? I thought it was gonna wrap up now and be over. Cliffhanger was..meh but I like the line at the end about winning war just to have some bothan screw it up. It was a good read.

I guess I'll give it...a 7. Though this might change after I read 2 and 3.

22. reagan64

reagan64 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 26, 2006
    Heir to The Empire was good but it had a few slow parts. I generally skip the Mrykk(sp) parts when I reread it because I feel they're a little boring and I don't like Mara, but the rest of it was good. I expecially enjoyed the very end with the Battle at Sluis Van, battles are definately one of Zahn's strongpoints in my opinion. I give it a 7, good but not great.

23. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    excellent novel. It was like I was watching the movies again. I love thrawn as well.

24. Mitth_rais_inrokini

Mitth_rais_inrokini Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 23, 2006

First of all, they don't 'suck' the force out of them, the ysalamiri can repele the force by creating a bubble, or force feild (whatever you want call it).

I did read Outound Flight before getting to this and seen more of the character, so that may have had effect on my opinion of him, but I did not see Thrawn as boring in any way. As far as the other parts, I grew up watching lV, v, and Vl. Seemed right to me.

Anyway, I loved this book and all others he wrote. Thrawn is without dout my favorite Star Wars character, especialy in the earier days at the time of Outbound Flight.

BTW, I don't really like Vader either. Honestly, Anakin just plain annoyed me. I tried but I didn't like him from the start.

25. rhi-sparks

rhi-sparks Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 15, 2006
    The Ysalimiri merely repel the force, they do not "suck it in".
    Your viewpoint is interesting, but to my mind, Zahn has a fluent writing style. I think he surpasses other SW writers such as Denning or Crispin, and I like the technological/scientific recurring theme, it reminds you that you're in the SW Universe where SO MUCH MORE is capable and available!
    :)
    Mara has never been a favourite for me, although I do like Thrawn. Easily my favourite character. You can't help but feel some of the comments he makes would be perfect in that drawly cynical tone, for example:
    "You're the Jedi Master, you tell me."
    :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.