main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Heir to the Empire question about SSDs

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Binary_Sunset, Jun 2, 2016.

1. FTeik

FTeik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 7, 2000
    Aside from limited hyperdrives (which probably were corrected with the Mandator-IIs) we also have to consider the strategic situation. The Republic Navy of te Clone-Wars, while large, can not cover every place. They also don't know, where the CIS might attack next with - usually - a huge fleet. So it makes sense to defend key-locations with ships, that can take on huge fleets on their own. When you want to reverse the situation and the Republic wants to attack a CIS-planet, they will know when and where they will attack and will be able to get enough Venators, Victories and Acclamators to push through without a Star Dreadnought working as sledge-hammer.

jSarek and GrandAdmiralJello like this.
  2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    CT -- the military definitely had control of planning and doctrine but not so much with the acquisitions and manufacturing I think. They used what they were given.

ISDs usually did have support craft in the EU, for example. They also operated independently given that they were multi-role ships. But the difference between an ISD and a VSD is not so pronounced as an ISD and an SSD.

Of course, this Zahn/Bantam line of thinking predates the proliferation of other types of star dreadnoughts later in the EU (SSD in my usage means Executor-class).

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Sarge likes this.
  3. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    I wish we could have seen more larger ships (battlecruisers or above) in action during the Clone Wars. Its not appropriate during the Galactic Civil War, as the Rebellion can't afford to field ships that large, and they honestly shouldn't, as guerilla tactics was the best strategy for them (with them gathering their Mon Calamari cruisers only for really important engagements, like Endor).

Out of universe most Clone Wars stories just stuck with the familiar Venator and occasional Acclamator, unfortunately. Even the Victory is barely mentioned here and there, much less anything larger. I know in Episode III's Battle of Coruscant the Republic had Venators, Venators and more Venators, but wish the EU (old or new) would branch out a bit more. You'd think Coruscant would warrant some large ships.

Though in-universe Palpatine probably made sure any ships that were too powerful never broke through Confederacy lines, can't have the Clone Wars end too soon.

There were at least several naval engagements that sound really interesting but were never expanded onlike the Victory-class being rushed out to fight the Bulwarks (though something like the Praetor or Mandator should have still dwarfed those ships, but slow hyperdrives could be used to explain why they were never in position).

The navy probably didn't mind dreadnoughts (especially post-Endor, when the fleet fell apart), and Pellaeon commanded from dreadnoughts several times over his career. The Imperial navy certainly liked the idea of building more SSDs than the Death Star since at least the Executor was still a naval ship, compared to the Death Star being Tarkin's pet project. Thrawn probably could have used one, but not like he needed one. He made do with plenty of Katana fleet dreadnaughts, and probably would have used Mon Cal cruisers even if he had to (given how many he tried to steal from... Sluis Van, was it?). Or use them as spare parts, but Thrawn was usually practical.

Doesn't help that Palpatine was secretly hoarding them in the Deep Core for his big return at about the same time.

4. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    I HAVE that film. I LOVE that film. It's true that Peter Jackson would end up doing better with this part of the saga, but I'd have to say that Arthur Rankin and Jules Bass did a better, leaner version of The Hobbit than he did, so everything balances out.

But regarding the subject at hand, it occurs to me that it might be best if we go to our respective libraries and post the exact chapter and verse. It would make discussion on the topic a lot easier, I'd think.