Heir to the Empire Trilogy is outdated. 16 years old. They need to be updated

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JediMasterKendo, Jan 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediMasterKendo Jedi Master

star 3
    Seriously they really do need to be updated not only storywise to stick with continuity but also the art on the front cover of the paperbacks. All three books of the Heir to the Empire Thrawn trilogy books they are 16 years old and even some of the newer stuff like Tatooine Ghost patch things up with Leia and the ghost of Anakin Skywalker.

In Truce of Bakura and Tatooine Ghost Leia is mad and grumpy at Anakin for doing the evil things he did when he became Darth Vader but then she mellowed out and forgave him and stopped dwelling on what he did.

Yeah those two may have been made a few years ago but they patched things up while in the Heir to the Empire Trilogy Leia is still like mad at Anakin Skywalker and stuff
  2. FireJade Force Ghost

star 4
    ... This is called the beauty of continuity. Attempting to make things fit in, not to change the source material.

And what's wrong with the covers?
  3. JediMasterKendo Jedi Master

star 3
    the covers are outdated and ancient. 16 years old. If I was Zahn I would at least re-release all three with new artwork or something and add a few things in the books.

Also I noticed that Barnes and Noble never refills their Star Wars book aisle where they just still have some stuff like the Tales of series and a few of in betweeners for Attack of the Clones.
  4. JediDingo Force Ghost

star 3
    Just because the book's are older than you (I'm guessing, and if not you fooled me) doesn't mean that they should go back and spend money on doing new artwork for the books. This will probably never happen, unless for some odd reason people start buying the Trilogy again? There is also nothing to add to the Trilogy. It's perfectly fine the way it is.

And I'm sorry about your Barnes and Noble?
  5. Jedi Ben Chosen One

star 7
    1. TTT published 1991-93, TAB 1994, TG 2003. You forget that no one thought TTT would be the big success it was - it surprised the publisher!

2. Have you seen the newer covers? Save for Mindor and Blood Oath, they tend to be uninspired. NJO's HCs had some good work, while the PBs were far more variable. No, the older ones are fine.

3. It isn't up to Zahn, the author writes the story s/he doesn't choose the cover.
  6. TIEPilot051999 Force Ghost

star 7
    Heir doesn't need to be updated to stick to the continuity of new books. The new books need to stick to the continuity of Heir.

Of course, continuity is a dead art form, so there's no real chance of that happening, is there?
  7. Robimus Force Ghost

star 5
    I'm with JediBen on this one. The TTT covers are way better than what we're getting nowdays.

The New Essential Chronology does most of the retconning for us, I don't want to see the older books redone myself. For me part of the appeal is how the franchise has grown and changed over the years. We've even had a few stories written to explain aspects of TTT, and fit them into the post prequel universe well enough.:)
  8. Jedi Ben Chosen One

star 7
    Also, what makes TTT work so well is the absence of what Zahn would later develope. Those later ideas work because they link to TTT neatly, but aren't in the story OR to put it another way, which is villainously cooler:

Thrawn saying to Pellaeon as he has the location of Wayland that they can now defeat the Rebellion.

OR

Thrawn saying to Pellaeon as he has the location of Wayland that they can now defeat the Rebellion so as to protect the galaxy from an invasion of nameless horrors.

TTT is a classic that should not be messed with.
  9. Vrook_Lamar Jedi Master

star 4
    A republished TTT would probably be a rediculously thick omnibus edition anyway so it would only need 1 cover. They have 1216 page single volume Lord of the Rings and 1024 page single volume His Dark Materials so a 1200 odd pages TTT would be possible.
  10. Jedi Ben Chosen One

star 7
    Hardback with good quality paper please.
  11. Tyber_Zahn Jedi Master

star 3
    I suppose they could update the covers. The story is fine though, it even fits in well with the PT to an extent despite being released some years prior to it.

I've recently read the Han Solo Adventures which are 30 years old now, didn't really seem out of place compared to the rest of EU to me.
  12. Robimus Force Ghost

star 5
    The Han Solo adventures are good stuff. Timeless really :)
  13. Eewoco Jedi Knight

star 1
    I personally like the covers of the TTT. They have always reminded me of the video/dvd covers. I wouldn't mind a hard back reprinting though since my copies are getting a bit yellow and worn with age and use.
  14. Arawn_Fenn Chosen One

star 7
    How much specifically needs to be updated in the book? The thing about the Empire fighting against clones has been retconned, I think. Maybe timeline references to the Clone Wars need to be changed in there somewhere. A reference to Yoda being on Dagobah might have to be changed to accord with the PT timeline. But that's about it.

As far as DFR is concerned, there's the Vader/Noghri thing... another timeline issue even though this was already an error before the PT. Also, we now know that Vader didn't lose his fully biological right arm after ANH, as Zahn surmised, but in AOTC.
  15. ATimson Force Ghost

star 4
    I'd argue that the bigger offender against TTT wasn't other books, but rather the prequel trilogy. And much as I would like to say that they should have stuck to the continuity of Heir, George automatically wins. :p
  16. FireJade Force Ghost

star 4
    I could be mistaken here, but wasn't that mentioned only when Mara said she thought that was when Vader lost his right arm? There's no reason Mara would know exactly how much of Vader was mechanical. And there's always SotME if you're really desperate for a semi-retcon...
    How so? If it's because of the dating, that's been retconned. :p

Side note:
    You do realize that means JediMasterKendo would have registered on TFN when he was at most 9, right?
  17. Brandon Rhea Manager Emeritus

star 5
    I personally love the covers on the Thrawn Trilogy, and all of those old school types from the novels that were released in the wake of the Thrawn Trilogy's success. I hate most of the covers that they come up with these days and wish they would go back to that older style.
  18. ATimson Force Ghost

star 4
  19. ThrawnRocks Force Ghost

star 6
    Don't change a thing. The covers are a little wonky, yeah, but I love them all the more for that. They, and many Bantam covers are significantly better than most of the novel covers coming out today.

There are no problems or contradiction with modern Star Wars save a few dates that can easily be ignored. From time to time a reference may be ever so slightly "off" but I think that is far better than changing the text to make it perfect. It shows how Star Wars and the Eu have changed over the years.
  20. s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod

star 7
    This. There is no reason to 'update' TTT. It is fine and wonderful just the way it is.
  21. RogueWompRat Jedi Youngling

star 4
    I love the TTT covers, they're like classic 70s scifi novels. Very fitting for Star Wars.

*shakes head and points to door*
  22. Nobody145 Force Ghost

star 4
    These books definitely don't need updating. The Thrawn Trilogy isn't outdated, its simply an older style and tells a far better story than the majority of the more recent works. While some older books have been retconned out of canon, I don't think the Thrawn Trilogy should ever be meddled with too much. Not to mention I still like those old covers, and some of the more recent ones have been of... lower quality, to say the least.

And anyway, in terms of retconning stuff, that's what Essential Guides and articles and new books are for. A new omnibus might be nice, but otherwise, the first three books are fine as they are now anyway.
  23. Arawn_Fenn Chosen One

star 7
    As long as they make clear that C'baoth was not the Guardian.:p
  24. DarthBoba Manager Emeritus

star 9
    They could remove the wonky cliffs from the cover of Tender Loving Care. As far as I know, cliffs never featured in that book. :p

[image=http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/images/n1/n5548.jpg]
  25. Dawud786 Force Ghost

star 4
    I love that C'Boath is an odd visual mix of Gandalf and the BeeGees...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.