main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Heir to the Empire Trilogy is outdated. 16 years old. They need to be updated

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JediMasterKendo, Jan 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    Ever heard of a used book store?

I picked up a first printing of HTTE in hardcover, with a laminant covering on the dust jacket for 12 bucks back in July. I also picked up a hardcover of TLC for 11 bucks a couple months after that. Now all I need is a paperback of DFR so I can have the trilogy in both formats.

Besides, you're going to get the used book in probably pretty good condition if not almost brand spanking new condition, and not have to pay 30 bucks for it.

In fact, here's a link to the website of the store I buy most of my used and new books at... and I've already bothered to search "STar Wars Timothy Zahn" for you. http://www.powells.com/s?header=Search+Form&kw=star+wars+timothy+zahn

Also, comics were mentioned earlier. The Last Command comic already has a gigantic portrait of Padme in Leia's suite.

The only tweeking I want done to the comic adaptations is for HTTE to have Luke's lightsaber properly colored green rather than blue.

2. RebelJoseWales

RebelJoseWales Jedi Master star 3

Sep 10, 2008
    Meh. I'd take "She broke a nail" as a cause of death over "she lost the will to live."

3. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Although if it was something like a crushed windpipe, or broken bone or something, you'd think the Polis Massa medical droids would've seen it and fixed it, since in the movie they said they couldn't find anything physically wrong. Or maybe those droids are just that incompetent, just like how Dr. Ball said. ;)

I can't remember every word of the Thrawn Trilogy, but I can't remember if it was said that the clones were always enemies. The main problem of course was that these clones could be grown quickly and deployed in under a month. Then again, during recent Clone Wars literature, we've also seen that the Seperatists tried growing their own clones at least once. And anyway, the Spaarti cylinders have already been retconned as not being the primary source of clones.

And these books were written years before the prequels anyway. At the time, I think it would seem ridiculous to at least some of us for a huge galactic power like the Galactic Republic not to have some sort of standing army or navy or something, to deal with pirates, or if some system started building up its own fleet, that kind of threat. The Empire had a huge fleet to oppress the galaxy, and the New Republic had to have a sizable fleet to oppose the Empire, but even then, I don't think any ever thought of disbanding the navy. Scaling it down, but just not having a fleet seems ridiculous. Of course, then the prequels came out and a lot of logical ideas were thrown out the window.

I don't quite remember any references to the Republic fighting clones, but I haven't reread the books in their entirety in a while. I do remember Luke imploring Mara to help them, as another round of clone wars would devastate the galaxy, and I think that line still fits in with canon fine.

4. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

The stress of the perfect hair. She just couldn't take it anymore. Roll down a sand dune in arid air with absolute perfect hair, you know, these things catch up to you.

What?

5. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    I can see it now...

SIDIOUS: Commander Jaaaaaaango, the time has come. Execute Order 66.

CLONE COMMANDER: Excuse me, sir? My name is Jaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaango.

SIDIOUS: Eh? Oh. My bad. (clears throat) Commander Jaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaango, the time has come. Execute Order 66!

CLONE COMMANDER: No, sir. Not Jaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaango. Jaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaango.

SIDIOUS: What's the bloody difference?

CLONE COMMANDER: About 1.7 seconds, sir.

SIDIOUS: (blinks) Oh, whatever. Just kill the damn Jedi.

6. Tyber_Zahn

Tyber_Zahn Jedi Padawan star 3

Sep 20, 2008
    But surely Palpatine is fairly adept when it comes to over pronouncing words anyway, why just say good when you can say gooooooood?

7. Robal_Krahl

Robal_Krahl Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 23, 2003
    I haven't read them in some time either, but I recall something about the clone masters. If I'm remembering correctly, every side (for there were more than two) utilized clones, which was what made it so devastating. I liked that idea of the Clone Wars better. It sure beats the Clone-and-Droid Wars.

8. Karohalva

Karohalva Jedi Knight star 2

May 27, 2008
    Retcons should not be performed until the subject matter and details surrounding them are no longer in constant flux.

9. AT-AT_Commander

AT-AT_Commander Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 23, 2001
    Here we go again changing things for the good like color in "its a wonderful life". Some things should be changed and some things shouldn't. This is not one of them. TTT was awesome. Changing it would ruin it.

10. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    In the novel Obi-Wan knows what's up and that's good enough for me.

11. NelanisGhost

NelanisGhost Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 24, 2006
    I don't think that's really true anymore, since the PT, and the tv shows and the dozens of books and comics, it's just a chapter in the overall story now and we can use our brains. We know it's "old", but it's called "vintage" SW now.

12. NelanisGhost

NelanisGhost Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 24, 2006
    That was hilarious! LOL!

[:D]

Nobody145 posted:Although if it was something like a crushed windpipe, or broken bone or something, you'd think the Polis Massa medical droids would've seen it and fixed it, since in the movie they said they couldn't find anything physically wrong. Or maybe those droids are just that incompetent, just like how Dr. Ball said.

In the novel Obi-Wan knows what's up and that's good enough for me.

Actually Dr. Ball was right. The leaders of the Jedi (HEALERS!) and a freaking king stand around sighing instead putting the woman on a life support. That is jaw droppingly stupid.

13. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Bail's not a king. :p

But yeah, much as I don't particularly think highly of Zahn's dulling emphasis on the military sci-fi part of SW, they're still pretty well-written books whose obviously contradictory accounts of the clone wars and so on have both 1) been retconned and 2) are hardly unique to TTT in general-BFC has Luke mulling about why his mother would have Vader's children with the clear implication that he was already Darth Vader and had been for some time when Luke was born.

And offhand, the only book I can remember reading that got a 'revised and expanded' edition that's even in the same sort of science fantasy genre as Star Wars was The Stand and the first book in King's Dark Tower series, The Gunslinger.

14. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002

The mad grannies! I remember that.... Some of the hopefuls trying to claim motherhood weren't even human. [face_laugh]

15. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Hehe, yep.

BFC is good in all kinds of ways, like the bar modeled after Jabba's throne room for starters. Don't rely on it if you don't want to look stupid when you say Yoda must have been living on Dagobah for a hundred years, though. :p

16. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002

I'll never forget the Wookiee assault on Spaar's harem nursey -- memorable.

17. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    I haven't gotten to book 3 yet, actually-about halfway through book 2.

And Akanah wins for most annoying space hippy ever. :p

18. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002

I didn't know! But yeah, some of the most memorable scenes in star wars novels are in the last book. That was genuine political thriller. And the Hortek wins hands down as the best dude in the trilogy.

19. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    I'll let you know what I think when the 3rd book arrives from Amazon. Got all three for a penny each.

20. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002

3 cents for a trilogy? Impressive.

21. MsLanna

MsLanna Jedi Master star 6

Jul 8, 2005
    Would I got mine for that because I'm not very fond of it.:p

22. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002

What don't you like about it?

23. MsLanna

MsLanna Jedi Master star 6

Jul 8, 2005
    Wouldn't that have to go in the BFC discussion thread?:confused:
    I was generally unhappy with the characterisation, especially Leia in book one. All plots rather bored me except the one about Lando, which I really liked. That says it all because I'm not much of a Lando fan. [face_blush]

24. ATimson

ATimson Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 19, 2003
    Also Ender's Game and Speaker for the Dead. And it has/will happen for some "pure" fantasy books too, like Matt Stover's Barra novels.

25. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Ahh, ok.

I didn't know they made expanded editions of those.

But yeah, suffice to say that it's pretty rare. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.