main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Heir to the Empire Trilogy is outdated. 16 years old. They need to be updated

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JediMasterKendo, Jan 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    Why would they put her on life-support? She was physically fine.

2. RebelJoseWales

RebelJoseWales Jedi Master star 3

Sep 10, 2008
    Which brings up the question: if she was physically fine, how was she dying? I don't just mean she was lacking a cause of death, although that's true, but the very definition of dying means your body stops working. Was her heart slowing down? Her breathing? What? Even if those things were happening for no reason, why didn't they put her on life support? If you can't figure out why you have a headache/cold/sore throat/broken leg does that mean you just sit back and let it work itself out?

I mean, for Christ's sake, Vader had all four limbs hacked off, was left to be covered head to stumps in fourth degree burns, and managed to live long enough for Palpatine to find him, take him on a shuttle transit from the Outer Rim to Coruscant, construct a custome, one-of-a-kind four-limb prosthetic armored suit with a built-in iron lung, and conduct a massive surgery to put him in it. Padme? She "lost the will to live" and died for no kriffing reason.

I mean, if she "lost the will to live" then eating a blaster or some such would make sense. It would be angstastic to the extreme and a lot of people would have disliked it, myself included, but at least it wouldn't be ignoring not only the logic of real life, but the internal logic of the whole franchise. Even KJA at his "broken-tree-stump-punches-through-super-advanced-armor-plating-on-a-motherkriffing-tank" worst never managed to top that.

3. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Want Tholme MD stories!

4. T-boy-wan

T-boy-wan Jedi Master star 3

Jun 6, 2006
    I missed nothing. People can die of broken hearts and often need councilling if they lost someon whle as young as Padme and Anakin were. Having her husband strangle her and knowing what he'd done would be enough to break her heart. Sure, she could have held on for her kids, but you have to remember what she went through in a short space of time. Going into premature labour probably took the last strength she had and so wasn't strong enough to battle her will to die. Its tragic, but its supposed to be.

5. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    Uh, I think it was a planet of Twilight in which Leia admits to Callista that she named her kid Anakin after her dad, symbolizing her coming to terms with that fact.Then she admitted it really wasn't working.

6. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    But then you go around saying things like "she could have had a heart monitor". Strange.

In fairness, I think KJA based that part on the precedent set by ROTJ, in which walkers were smashed by logs. So it's GL's fault.

7. Robal_Krahl

Robal_Krahl Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 23, 2003
    Obviously, you did miss something. There was nothing, absolutely nothing, that was physically wrong with Padme. She was fine after labor, as established by the medical droid. Nothing was said in the movie about the labor being premature, by the way. Does it say that in the novel?

The woman who saw her planet imprisoned by the Trade Federation, who led an assault on her own palace, who fought ferociously on Geonosis... dies of a "broken heart" due to a three-seconds-long Force Choke? It's stupid, plain and simple. If someone has a broken heart, they can neglect the needs of their body to the point of death (ie not eating). I can accept that, though it would be one of the lamest ways to die. But people cannot simply will themselves to die when they're perfectly healthy. People cannot just say "Today, I give up" and die. If they could, the wrist-cutting emo community would be the "I wanna die today" emo community.

8. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    "This systemic failure cannot be explained."

"We are losing her."

9. NelanisGhost

NelanisGhost Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 24, 2006
    I think you're outnumbered.

I think those only work when they are ON YOUR ACTUAL CHEST, YOU KNOW, WHERE HEART IS.

10. NelanisGhost

Jun 24, 2006

Translation:

We droids worked in a spa before the war started. We know jack poodoo about human anatomy, and learned everything we know about putting humans back together from Star Trek, episode one, though we, too, have arms, legs, and a head.............

11. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    As if that would even matter.

So that beating sound was just a CD playing in the background?

This is science fiction.

Obviously not authorial intent, and contradicted by a Lucas-edited novel.

12. NelanisGhost

Jun 24, 2006
    No have NO sense of humor at all whatsoever.

:rolleyes:

13. T-boy-wan

T-boy-wan Jedi Master star 3

Jun 6, 2006
    The babies were premature-they mentioned how they had to deliver NOW as in they could not wait until natural labour or they'd lose the babies too. And I know there was nothing physically wrong with her. I said that. But she was under a terrible amount of emotional distress. I was just saying that perhaps delivering the children was something sh had to put all her strength or 'will' into and there was just none left by the end. Perhaps it was her or the babies-which would you choose.

It Star Wars is not real. Therefore people can die from 'broken hearts' in it. and I seriously don't know how we got here because this has nothing to do with the thread title.

14. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    I've been wondering that for 2 pages now.

15. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I like then idea, just scrap the clone wars and let Zahn do it. It was very interesting back the when I first read it in the Thrawn books. Now, we have to many people thinking that what they are doing is justice, and instead we have all these weird stories that just either dosen't cut it or makes it all wrong. Boba Fett young adult books anyone? Boba flying all over the place with a jet pack trying to avoid Durge? I thought jetpacks had limited use? Artoo using his jet rockets in the clone war movie to fly a long long distance towards the Twilight?

Zahn had the right idea.

16. Fettclone1

Fettclone1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 4, 2006
    I wasn't sure where else to post this so here's my short review of the Thrawn Trilogy:

Do Not Want.

__

I cannot understand, for the life of me, why these books are so beloved and Zahn is so revered.

Sure, Heir was a decent book but it should have stopped there as it just went downhill afterward. Dark Force was okayish but boring and Last Command? I had to slog through that one, at the end at a three page clip. Terrible.

Thrawn isn't a real character, he's some blown up caricature peering over the author's shoulder.

I accept Mara Jade as a character but I despise her.

Only Palleon and Karrde were worthwhile characters.

I guess in it's own place and time it could be seen as good, but now? Sorry, I don't think so.

whostheBossk likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.