main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Heir to the empire

Discussion in 'Literature' started by NICHOLAS_SKYWALKER, Apr 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NICHOLAS_SKYWALKER

NICHOLAS_SKYWALKER Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 3, 2005
    So i was just looking through my older brotheres book shelf and i found a star wars book called "heir to the empire" written by timothy zahn. Now im still considering reading it but I dont wanna waste my time reading it if its not any good. Now could someone tell me how good it is? is it great? or what ever else you can tell me that can decide if i read it or not. Its volume 1 btw.

2. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    The quintessential space opera. Interstellar war against a backdrop of outlaw elements with a touch of political intrigue. Better special efects than Doctor Who, but it has Conquerors' Legacy's allround fun.

T. Fett will be along shortly. Plantary shields standing bay . . .

3. NICHOLAS_SKYWALKER

Apr 3, 2005
    esquuuizze me! what are you talking about?

4. Gladiuus

Gladiuus Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 20, 2003
    He means that it's a good, solid read, fitting in well with the original movies with elements similar (in a good way) to Zahn's other non-star wars books. You should read it. Also, he threw in a reference to a science fiction TV series he enjoys to make things confusing.

He also means that another poster on this board will be along shortly to complain bitterly about the book you're asking about, as it apparently killed her puppy or something.

Did I get that all right, Excellence? :D

5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Excellence, be nice. Tiershon's not that bad. :p

6. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    Now im still considering reading it but I dont wanna waste my time reading it if its not any good.

Generally, no matter how some of us may feel, Heir to the Empire is felt to be among the best SW books. I used to feel that way before I actually started looking at it in the grand scheme of things and now I feel it's more of a decent book. However, you should never simply take any of our words as to the worthiness of a book as that means you don't even form your own opinion about the book in question, you simply go with someone elses. By reading the book for yourself you are able to decide if you actually wasted your time or if it was something that you would read again and again. You discover whether you agree with others as to a book being good or bad, or you discover that you feel totally different from them about the book in question. And that way you can actually give folks your own opinion about the book rather than say "Well, a bunch of people told me the book was junk so it must be and I never bothered to read it." If you read it and you found it to be junk, you can give your reasons for why you feel that way rather than simply saying folks told me it was junk so I never bothered to learn if it was or not.

7. rogue_wookiee

rogue_wookiee Jedi Youngling star 6

Apr 24, 2004
    He also means that another poster on this board will be along shortly to complain bitterly about the book you're asking about, as it apparently killed her puppy or something.

Did I get that all right, Excellence?

No. It was Dark Rendezvous raped Excellence's puppy. :p

I forget what the T_F and Zahn one was.

Nick, read it. It is one of the best SW books ever.

8. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002
    I'm always nice, Jello, 'cept when Dark Journey comes up in discussion, and I become cordial. I enjoy Tiershon's posts as much as our debates. The '70s Dr Who episodes are awesome, such acting! I'm half a dewback from plagiarising some of yesterday's one-liners. :p

9. ShadowJedi05

ShadowJedi05 Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 5, 2002
    Yes, Heir to the Empire is definitely worth reading, so is the rest of the Thrawn trilogy. The Thrawn Duology is also quite good, Zahn is an excellent author.

10. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I'm tempted to cite Dark Journey as a masterpiece, just for fun, but that would be akin to devil worship and I'd probably feel sick if I tried...

11. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    Feeling sick would probably be the best you could hope for.

12. maralover

maralover Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 3, 2003
    it is in the opinion of most the best star wars literature gets......it is a great book for fans and non-fans alike...but it will lead to addiction, eu addiction.....BE WARNED!!

13. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002
    I could list 10 points why DJ is attrocious, you know; another 5 from helpful Litters when I once did. But not everyone has the fortitude of a knight, and jellowing someone else's thread isn't my idea of a good glitburger.

14. Tiershon_Fett

Tiershon_Fett Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    Since I seem to be the unofficial star of this thread..........

[face_mischief]

HTTE is ......... alright. It's really quite a dull read.

Some of it's been invalidated by the PT (or will be VERY soon). But it was written before Zahn, or us fans, knew better.

Just keep in mind that there's a lot better stuff out there. Bantam wasn't the best company to handle SW. Most of the Bantam line are not too SW-sy. That includes TTT, IMO, but to each his own. Too many Gary Stus and Mary Stus for my taste, but at LEAST Zahn writes Leia well.

15. Darth_Digital

Darth_Digital Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 2001
    HTTH is a great read. You'd do yourself a diservice not to read it.

16. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    From what I've observed of fandom, you are more likely to really enjoy reading it than not.

And, IMO, it (and the trilogy it's a part of) is an excellent read.

17. NICHOLAS_SKYWALKER

Apr 3, 2005
    Hey thanks guys for all the suport and comments, by the looks of it the majority of yous like it very much so im sure I will to. Ill start reading it later tonight- I cant wait :)

18. Ord_Hulska

Ord_Hulska Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 2, 2005
    That was actually the first Star Wars book I read, and as Maralover said you will prob. get addicted. I read it about 6 to 7 years ago, can't remember exactly, and since then have continued to read the EU up-to-date.

So, yes it is a very good read.

19. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    It actually surprised me as well- I had read it when it first came out, but my memory of it had faded somewhat so I went back and reread it about two years ago and was very pleasantly surprised.

20. MariahJade2

MariahJade2 Former Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 5 VIP

Mar 18, 2001
    Don't forget to read the rest of the trilogy. Dark Force Rising and The Last Command. You need the whole story. It's a fun read.

21. Kwenn

Kwenn Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 30, 2001
    Heir to the Empire also introduces many, many elements that crop up in later (and earlier, timeline-wise) books, comics and other media. An essential read if you're looking to delve further in the Expanded Universe.

22. Chaotic_Serenity

Chaotic_Serenity Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2004
    I would read it only because so much of the EU refers back to it. I'm personally not particularly fond of the novels, but most people seem to enjoy them.

For a balanced opinion...I think Zahn's story ideas are excellent, he has some interesting ideas for original characters, and the man certainly knows his technology well. However, some of his OCs are borderline Sueish, and I find his prose to be fairly dry, repetitive, and mediocre, at best. (At the worst points, I find it stifling and have to resist the urge to mail him a thesaurus.) So it's a mixed bag. Great ideas, decent execution. I don't think it really lives up to its hype, though. It's better than most of the EU out there, anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.