main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Heir to the Jedi by Kevin Hearne

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Loyal Imperial, Apr 25, 2014.

1. deneuves

deneuves Jedi Knight star 4

Apr 19, 2015
    Yeah, it seemed inconsequential in the end. Did we learn anything new really. It felt a bit like early Jon Snow chapters in ASOIAF where he's just a bit clueless and not as interesting as he would be later on, I was half expecting someone to be like "You must be Anakin Skywalker's bastard" to Luke at some point.

Also
    it was so obvious that Nakari was doomed, which made it hard to care about what was going on between them. And awkward cause Luke still has a thing for his sister at this point. But yeah, maybe the only interesting thing is that Luke possibly might've lost his V-card in this? who knows lol

2. Sniper_Wolf

Sniper_Wolf Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    Finally picked this one up. My interest in the first person has overruled my general distaste for OT era novels. I'm enjoying the sized down story (speculative fiction can be so fluffy), and Hearne's dialogue does not resemble someone gargling marbles in their mouth like Stackpole so I'm pleasantly entertained so far.

3. JoshieHewls

JoshieHewls Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 16, 2013
    I loved the book, but that made me laugh out loud. Kudos, good sir.

SoloBrothers likes this.
  4. yodafan1031

yodafan1031 Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 15, 2014
    I think I agree wholeheartedly. I wanted to like it, as I do all the "new canon". But I, too, was annoyed by the first person storytelling. I think had this been in the third, it wouldn't have grated on me as badly. But I also found it to just lie there limp. Didn't grab me.

5. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Just finished the book. Took a bit of a break from it but finally got back to it and finished it up. As others have probably already mentioned not much happened and it was just a quick little adventure book to develop Luke's character immediately after ANH. Nakari was done well though in my opinion and my main interest in the book was finding out what happened to her by the end (didn't see any of the spoilers so I didn't know).

I didn't mind the first person perspective. I think it is fun to read a first person perspective once in awhile.

Iron_lord likes this.
  6. bsmith7174

bsmith7174 Jedi Master star 3

Apr 17, 2015
    Just finished the HttJ the other day. I thought it was decent overall. A good time killer but not much more than that. I should be receiving LotS in the mail today so I'm going to start that.

Also...I like when we get images like this. It helps to visualize everything. Obviously the first picture is kind of a collage, and I remember the scene from the last picture: when R2-D2 zapped that imperial droid during Drusil's rescue. But for some reason I can't remember what's going on in the second picture. Can someone refresh my memory?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Darth_Foo likes this.
  7. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Is it just me or did the person who made those pictures make Nakari to look a bit like Andi from the star wars.com site

8. bsmith7174

Apr 17, 2015
    Anyone have a clue about that 2nd picture?

9. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Got the Insider issue open. There's a bit on page 3 of the story where Luke & the Givin are being pursued through a sewer by the ISB agents and they find out there are other dangers lurking there as well. When they come to a junction the 'beauty' in the picture is waiting for them.

10. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    The odd thing is that Luke isn't at all wearing Jedi robes in that scene, and in addition I think they actually ran into the creature, they didn't see it, stop, and Luke fought it. They just kind of collided. But hey, artistic license.

11. bsmith7174

Apr 17, 2015
    I'll have to go back and find that part in my book and see exactly how it played out. For some reason I don't remember the creature at all...
    Did it have a name?

12. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I don't recall it having a name, no.

13. Matthaeus Sunrider

Matthaeus Sunrider Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 26, 2013
    It wasn't bad, but not anything to really make me say "wow what a great story!". For what it was it was fine, just a side adventure. I thought Tarkin was a much better book.

Cheerios4u98 likes this.
  14. Queen Apailana

Queen Apailana Jedi Master star 1

Mar 8, 2015
    I liked the book. Having a Givin around was fun with all the math speak (the chapter headings with equations was a nice touch). I found some of the humor amusing, like the foiling your plan joke. Nakari was a nice character too. I haven't decided how I felt about the book getting Luke's character exactly right though. Regardless, I still enjoyed the book.

SoloBrothers and Iron_lord like this.
  15. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Yeah, I liked the Givin as well. Wouldn't mind seeing more of them.

16. SensationalSean

SensationalSean Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2014
    I don't understand the criticism centering around the small scale of this book, I loved following Luke on these adventures at the early stage of his career. It's a nice shift from the wise Jedi Master of the latter Legends novels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Pain and Suffering

Pain and Suffering Jedi Master star 3

Mar 8, 2015
    I thought it was good. Some of the conversations were pretty funny, but there was also seriousness, and it's nice to see how Luke goes about learning how to be a Jedi on his own.
    I really loved the conversation about "Vader's Many Prosthetic Parts." Seriously, every time I think about it, I smile.
    I like the impact Nakari had on Luke's life, how she helped encourage him to use the Force, although I didn't much care for the romance. I think they could have just been friends or something. I enjoyed her bright personality. And of course, it was nice to have our outstanding astromech save the day a couple of times. The Givin was interesting. Very mathematical.
    Overall, I thought it a pretty enjoyable read.

Jedi Ben and Iron_lord like this.
  18. TK-421 Is vader

TK-421 Is vader Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2015
    We call them "water spitters" and "poo-rooms" here.

The Positive Fan likes this.
  19. Orman Tagge

Orman Tagge Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2014
    What are those images from? Do we have others for the other canon novels? CAN I FINALLY SEE COUNT VIDIAN?!

20. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Finally finished the novel. Pretty good novel. Going to reread eventually.
    Love Luke and Nakari. Nakari's Dad's idiosyncrasy was hilarious. And then Nakari was using it with Luke. [face_laugh]
    And then when Luke was using the Force to raise the soup and Nakari interrupted him and it dumped all over Luke.
    And Luke thinking about advice from Han.
    So many good little moments.

Revanfan1, Iron_lord and Darth_Pevra like this.
  21. TK-421 Is vader

TK-421 Is vader Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2015
    Nakari's dad Is clearly Gru.Or maybe the minions spin off is going to be set in star wars before they end up on earth(long time ago in a gffa)

22. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I think they come from Star Wars Insider's preview short chapter of Heir to the Jedi.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  23. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    I just finished this book yesterday, and my initial thoughts boil down to really enjoying it. I don't see why so many people think it's mediocre. Maybe if I reread it or analyze it more I could find more problems, but I liked the book just the same. I guess the largest problem was the lack of a main antagonist. No Vader, no head bounty hunter, no Imperial officer, there is no one consistently behind the events in the book.
    I really liked going into Luke's head, because I am a huge Luke fan, and I also liked his dynamic with Nakari.
    Oh, and the whole noodle aspect of the book really irks a lot of people. Yeah, it was kind of silly, but I thought it felt real and I liked that Luke was taking little steps at a time with the force.

Force Smuggler and Jedi Ben like this.
  24. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I liked it as well. And Nakari's dad. Made the story, he did.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  25. beccatoria

beccatoria Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 8, 2006

First off, I'm not here to tell you you're daft for liking the book. But since I was disappointed enough in it that I did write out the reasons, so if you actually did want to read a review that goes into it a bit more, I have one on the second page of the review thread here: http://boards.theforce.net/threads/...ial-heir-to-the-jedi-spoilers.50029478/page-2

Interestingly your comment about the lack of unifying villain didn't specifically bother me, but perhaps that does tie into the way I felt the various encounters were too episodic - good point.

Jedi Ben and Darth Dnej like this.