main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Heir to the Jedi by Kevin Hearne

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Loyal Imperial, Apr 25, 2014.

1. LadyZ

LadyZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2000
    I think it is a totally terrible book. The first person writing should give us some insight to the characters feelings, should make us understand his emotions - and it shouldn't be like this: "I am sad" and "I am happy because I've got a gift." ... Please if you think of what is inside of your own mind do you use flat line like that all the time?! First person view should have given us so much more, but unfortunately the author hadn't got the slightest idea what can be in Luke's mind in any given moment, so we were totally cheated.

And the book reached the lowest bottom with the "Vader's Many Prosthetic Parts." I cannot even comprehend what was in the mind of the author of this fantastic cultural masterpiece?! What was she thinking, that it was funny for Vader?! Really even if he wasn't a Sith Lord and the one of the rulers of the Galaxy why should it be funny to write songs about other people deformities and health problems? If she was aware of his status and reputation what was she thinking?! Was that some kind of bravery??? Go out tell everyone that he is a monster, that he kills innocents etc...that would be brave. That song was both stupid and of terrible bad taste... And how was she "rewarded" for her creativity? Send to jail. Well, in a way I think Vader was almost OOC here. Of course he cannot be bothered by the truth, I think he sent her there to teach her something about style and taste... But of course cutting of some of her limbs should have been just even more in character.:vader:

2. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    This was my least favorite of all the New Canon novels.

3. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    It also doesn't feel like it belongs in the new canon.

4. Darth Doop

Darth Doop Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2014
    Eh. I think it's the style it was written in. I kind of liked some of the weirder stuff, like nerf nuggets and such. Itmreminds me of the weird stuff you find when browsing wookieepedia.

It was my second least favorite book out of the new ones, but it wasn't boring or hard to read, unlike Aftermath.

5. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Yeah this novel was entirely serviceable. Was it high literature? Not really, not even by SW standards, but it was a decent book.

6. StarLorrd

StarLorrd Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 18, 2014

Well it didn't initially, it was planned and most likely written before the whole new canon thing was even conceived. It was put there retroactively because it didn't really interfere with anything.

darklordoftech likes this.
  7. Maythe14thBeWithYou

Maythe14thBeWithYou Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2014
    So as someone who's catching up with Cannon, Tarkin-Battlefront would you say to pick this up or not? I'm avoiding some, but don't want to waste money. Also, I read Weapon of a Jedi and was wondering if this is needed in addition to that or should I just wait for another Luke book?

8. StoryWorthTelling

StoryWorthTelling Jedi Master star 2

Jan 8, 2015
    I don't know that this is necessary for non-completists. It didn't add much to the canon, in my opinion. Weapon of a Jedi is probably more relevant. But if you think you'd enjoy it, based on the reviews you're saying here, go for it for the fun. It's not a deep book but you could have fun with it.

Maythe14thBeWithYou likes this.
  9. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    I feel like this would have been something written in the '70s or '80s, before more information was revealed. There are too many "earth" words and phrases that completely jar me out of the 'verse. If it wasn't for that, I'd enjoy this a lot more. And I'm already enjoying it because MATH AND STAR WARS and there are eigenvectors and...I definitely spent a portion of my night relearning how to calculate them and comparing my work to the answers given in the book.

Hearne's a good author and can write battles/fights fairly well, but I don't think his writings are very SW like.

I agree that it doesn't add much to canon, whether Legends like it was initially supposed to be or the new EU.

ATimson likes this.
  10. MikeF

MikeF Jedi Knight

Aug 28, 2013
    I admit I laughed at "I foiled your plan" way harder and way longer than I should have. My tenth grade Algebra II teacher - I think that's when I learned that - would be so proud.

11. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    I groaned and rolled my eyes violently. I don't want to see that in my SW book!!
    (I also don't like FOIL and don't teach it).

But something I told my students today makes me sure your 10th grade Alg 2 teacher would indeed be proud: If they pick up a book at random and then WHAT THE MATH I DIDN'T EXPECT THIS, and recognize terms and phrases, and have their memories jogged, then I did my job. Because math turns up in the most unexpected places because math is everywhere. <3

MikeF likes this.
  12. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Brazilian cover of HttJ. I haven't read the book, but this cover is awesome. It seems that the Brazilian covers today are the equivalent of the gorgeous Japanese ones we got back for Legends novels.

13. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Oh, that is gorgeous.

I'm gonna print it out on photographic paper.

And then put it on my fridge. [face_plain]

Gorefiend and Vthuil like this.
  14. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Why are the foreign covers always so amazing?

15. Endol

Endol Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2014
    that's both A New Dawn and Heir to the Jedi with kick-ass covers. this one really sets the scene for the final act of the book.

spicer likes this.
  16. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Can't wait for the Lords of the Sith cover.

17. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    That cover is at least ten times better than the book.

18. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I can't recall if I've seen the AND one. What's it look like?

19. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    http://roqoodepot.com/2015/07/10/a-new-dawn-brazilian-cover/

Cheerios4u98 and Revanfan1 like this.
  20. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Force Smuggler likes this.
  21. Cheerios4u98

Cheerios4u98 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 4, 2015
    If these books were in English, I would totally pay extra to get them with these beautiful covers.

22. Jedi717

Jedi717 Jedi Master

Nov 28, 2005
    I just finished this book myself, and I too would fall into the "Really liked it" camp. It wasn't a big, galaxy-shattering story, but not all novels have to be. The Rebellion was built on smaller missions like this just as much as attacks on Death Stars. I also liked seeing Luke just starting out on his Jedi training and learning what's possible through the Force, from being able to stretch out and sense danger to actually learning how to use the telekinesis that other Jedi made look so easy in other media, even if it was mostly noodles. Incidentally, I can't help but wonder what nerf nuggets and rancor sauce would taste like now. Still, I'd call this the most enjoyable Star Wars book that I've read in some time.

Drusil was a really interesting character. To my knowledge we never really got a good look into what a Givin's mindset would be like before this, so this story gives us a great look at their culture and how it's based on mathematics. I know I also found myself laughing and groaning at "I foiled your plan!" My thoughts were "Wait, I foiled your... ohhh I see what you did there!" I also found the discussions between her and Luke about the nature of the Force to be quite interesting, and I liked how they help give Luke the perspective he needs to progress in his training.

I was a little disappointed with the whole supposed Imperial spy plot. Leia suspects Nakari may not be what she says she is, and Luke later has misgivings (mis-Givins?) about Drusil, but there is no spy, and this just seems to be thrown in for no reason. As Drusil tells Luke, sometimes people are just good.

I also really liked the character of Nakari, and as I was reading the book, I kept finding myself hoping she would end up becoming the new timeline's version of Mara Jade. I enjoyed her banter with Luke and how she didn't treat him as a great fighter or a wise Jedi or anything but just as a desert farmboy and a guy. Let's face it, in any of the Legends books, can you imagine any of Luke's love interests referring to him as "My little noodle scooter?" I was genuinely saddened when she died. There just seemed to be a lot more that could have been done with her character. I've read both sides of the arguments in this thread, and yeah, killing her off seemed rather lazy and shortsighted overall. I knew she didn't show up in TESB or ROTJ, but there were a lot of ways to take her out of the main picture without killing her off. Even just off the top of my head, I'd come up with some ideas. You can tell me they suck. I won't be offended.

1. Kill her off: Obviously, the one that was used in the book. Good way to show that people do die in battles. The problem with this is you shoot yourself in the foot and don't allow yourself or anyone else the use of the character. Overall, I don't like this one.

2. She's alive, but in a coma: Not the most pleasant option, but she's alive, which allows for her coming back in a later story and having more of a part to play. Would someone in a coma read the same as a normal person in the Force?

3. She and Luke break up: Again, not a very pleasant option, especially after seeing their bonding throughout this book. This would just come off as a cheap copout to me.

4. She gets reassigned: This I could believe. She's a trained sniper who, among her normal missions, gets sent to other areas to train troops. She and Luke could still keep in touch, but she doesn't have to be everywhere he is. In fact, this could open up some story fodder for later tales involving her character.

5. She survives, but she and Luke put things on hold: Basically, she would live, but she and Luke would agree that with the war on, it's not a good time to get into a real relationship. Understandable after almost being taken down at the end, and who's to say they couldn't give things a real shot in a post-ROTJ story, again with her being the new timeline's Mara?

I understand a lot of these would qualify as retconning, but that's nothing new to Star Wars (Jaster Mereel and Boba Fett, the Clone Wars and Spaarti Cylinders, Even Piell's death, etc).

Jedi Ben, Iron_lord and Zer0 like this.
  23. Jedi of Mandalore

Jedi of Mandalore Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 22, 2015
    Late to the party on this one but I have to say this is the worst star wars book I've ever read. If you are not a completionist, then skip this book. Would give it 1.5/5 stars. I know everyone has their opinion. Serious question though for people who enjoyed this book, do you literally enjoy anything with a Star Wars label on it?

24. StoryWorthTelling

StoryWorthTelling Jedi Master star 2

Jan 8, 2015

I enjoyed this book (not as much as some others, but still, more than I disliked it), and I think your question discounts your previous statement of everyone having their own opinion. We're not mindless drones enjoying everything with the Star Wars label (although we buy it all).

I didn't hate Denning's stuff as much as everyone else on here seems to. I don't mind if Star Wars ventures into the ridiculous a little. And I should state, I hated Crystal Star but ploughed on with the EU. When I hit the Corellian Trilogy, I almost quit reading Star Wars altogether. Thankfully I was able to look a little further down the road and see more Zahn books, so I stuck with it.

Also, I've liked Rebels so far, but did not enjoy this past week's episode. And The Clone Wars animated theatrical movie was basically terrible.

Finally, I should mention that although I enjoyed Heir to the Jedi, I recognize that it's not altogether good. I would say it's fun factor is much higher than its literary value, which I'm okay with here and there. I think it's what the Aftermath trilogy is trying for, and I think HttJ accomplished the goal much better. I would have preferred it not being told from Luke's perspective, I probably would have preferred if there wasn't a romantic connection for Luke in the book, and I would have preferred less references to noodles, but I enjoyed it for what it was

Jedi Ben and Iron_lord like this.
  25. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    [​IMG]

Those rocks are literally awesome. My favorite rocks by far.

And everyone who disagrees with me is stupid. I absolutely respect other opinions and viewpoints, but come on...These rocks are ****ing awesome. Stop being dumb and like and dislike the same things I do.

sent from my Moto X-Wing

Grievousdude, Qel and DelRiego like this.