"Hell" in Star Wars.

Discussion in 'Literature' started by FloppyMaN, Jun 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JEDI-KILLER_17 Jedi Youngling

star 2
    Yeah it confused the hell out of me too.
  2. JaySkywalker01 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Didn't Palpatine get pulled into a virtual "Hell" for the Sith at the end of DE. Elements of earth have always been a part of the GFFA. Remember Luke drinking hot chocolate in TTT and again in DN, I think? Also, the term hell just depends on what context you use it in. If a pastor speaks about hell he is referring to a place mentioned in the <insert religous writing>. However, in ESB when Han says, I'll see you in hell! He is not exactly delivering a theologically based statement based upon any religion. Its a slang. The reasons hell is so universally used is because its just a general term that can be applied to different situations. Terms such as goodness, evil, God, and creation are all general terms that can be found in the secular world as well as the religious world. It's not like any one religion or society hijacked the word and tried to make it to mean one certain thing. It's just a very flexible term. That's all.
  3. Lord Vivec Force Ghost

star 8
    Is there nothing better you can argue about? Obviously when "Go to Hell" is used. it has a direct meaning in Star Wars. Whether it is created by man or actually exists, which is dependent on one's stance on Religion, doesn't really matter. It is the fact that it has meaning to the people in Star Wars is what counts.

Hell in Star Wars, like on Earth, is a place bad people go. The fact that Thracken Sal-Solo will go to hell is not beyond reasonableness. Frankly, he'd love to go there and meet his old buddy Satan. (by somepeople's beliefs) But others who don't believe in Hell can see that it is still insulting to Sal-Solo.

Wow, that was tiring.
  4. Havac Former Moderator

star 7
    The Black Fleet Crisis also used bastard and son of a bitch.
  5. Kwenn Jedi Master

star 5
    Dengar also calls someone an ugly bastard in Twin Engines of Destruction.

And as for the first use of "hell", in ANH Owen says there'll "be hell to pay" if Luke doesn't get the droids repaired by midday.
  6. phantasm66 Jedi Youngling

star 2
    i remember complaining about an obscure reference to the 'wizard of oz' in one of the star wars books. can't remember which because after whining about it on this board, i realized that i just didn't care.

besides - i like words like 'hell' and 'bastard' over lame made up names like 'sithspawn' and 'sithspit'.

if you want to get 'really' picky, then that line of reasoning could make you wonder how they magically speak english a long time ago in a galaxy far far away... and have for 25,000 years prior to that point.

[face_dancing] <--this smiley rules

7. Kwenn Jedi Master

star 5
    IIRC, one of the MedStar books. I-5 says he wants to visit the Sourceror of Tund to get a heart.
  8. phantasm66 Jedi Youngling

star 2

thats it! lol [face_laugh]

9. Kwenn Jedi Master

star 5
    But then, MedStar is infamous for that type of in-joke. PanGalactic Gargle Blaster, anyone?
  10. CuppaJoe Jedi Master

star 4
    "What the Hell are you DOING?!

"He'd better have those droids cleaned by midday or there'll be hell to pay."
  11. Excellence Jedi Knight

star 7

There was no need for Solo to expletive the b-word. It was Barth, the whimpering wimp.

But I liked it.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.