main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Hellboy Movies Discussion Thread ***Spoilers***

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Jedi_Master_Conor, Apr 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    so has anyone else here watched the Hellboy movie? i liked it. i've never read the comic before seeing the movie and enjoyed it seeing as I went in seeing it without having a clue what it was about. apparently a sequel is in development. i enjoyed the 1st one so hopefully the next one is good.

2. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    I thought that it was fun and pretty well done. Didn't take itself too seriously, and a decent adaptation of the comics.

3. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    i've never read the comics before. so for anyone who has is the movie pretty close to them at all?

4. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    Ron Perlman was ideal casting

5. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    i agree. that was a very good casting choice. when I watch Hellboy he reminds of Marv from Sin City sometimes

6. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I liked the first Hellboy - really excited for the sequel in the works. I'm not familiar with the comics, but was pleasantly suprised when I rented it.

I'm surprised did do better in theaters: despite positive reviews, it only made about $60 million at the box office (according rottentomatoes)

7. darth_paul

darth_paul Jedi Master star 5

Apr 24, 2000
    I rented this maybe a year ago and didn't like it at all. Couldn't pull me in or intrigue me in any way, really. I'll be skipping any sequels.

-Paul

8. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    according to BoxOfficeMojo.com it made $59,623,958.

9. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    The sequel's title will be Hellboy 2: The Golden Army and it'll be distributed by Universal Pictures.

Universal Pictures Picks Up Hellboy 2

Guillermo del Toro will direct Universal Pictures' Hellboy 2: The Golden Army, which will continue the exploits of the humanoid hero from Hell and his partners in the Bureau for Paranormal Research and Development. "Hellboy 2," a Lawrence Gordon/Lloyd Levin production in association with Dark Horse Entertainment, will begin principal photography in April 2007 in Budapest and London, with pre- and post-production based in London. The film will be released worldwide in the summer of 2008.

"Hellboy 2" will be directed by Guillermo del Toro, who most recently directed the elaborate fantasy Pan's Labyrinth, which was received enthusiastically at this year's Cannes Film Festival and will be released in December. The screenplay for "Hellboy 2" is written by Guillermo del Toro, from a screen story by Mike Mignola and del Toro, based upon the Dark Horse comic created by Mike Mignola and the 2004 motion picture Hellboy. The first installment, released by Revolution Studios in 2004, earned $100 million at the worldwide box-office and became a cult sensation when released on DVD. The character continues to be a top-seller in publishing and collectibles and is now expanding into animation and games. "Hellboy 2" will be produced by Lawrence Gordon, Lloyd Levin and Mike Richardson. Chris Kenny is the executive producer of the film, with Mike Mignola serving as co-producer.

Ron Perlman returns to the title role as Hellboy, a humanoid creature born in the flames of Hell and brought to Earth as an infant. Raised in secret, the adolescent "HB" becomes an agent for the secret Bureau for Paranormal Research and Development (BPRD), a covert government agency which serves as the planet's line of defense against otherworldly evil. Selma Blair will also reprise the role of Liz Sherman, a pyrokinetic human who is HB's colleague and love interest.

"Hellboy 2" will expand the world of Hellboy and surround him with characters both new and familiar as he confronts a deadly threat to mankind.

In making the announcement, Universal Pictures Chairman Marc Shmuger and Co-Chairman David Linde stated, "All of us at Universal are delighted to be part of the continuing adventures of Hellboy and his universe, as there are few properties which offer this unique blend of action, humor and character- based spectacle. We are incredibly excited by the potential of this film and even more so to be working with Guillermo del Toro, whose vision for this film has ignited the fanboy imagination in all of us.

10. Darth_Berserker

Darth_Berserker Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 12, 2005
    the comics were really close with the film, although i think the film had more action than the comics ever had, still an excellent film though, always fun to watch

11. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    it's a pity we have to wait till 2008 for the sequel

12. BAR_BAR_DRINKS

BAR_BAR_DRINKS Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 9, 2003
    HellBoy rocks. Guillermo del Toro did a great job bringing Mignola's work to life.
    can not wait for the sequel.
    plus there are two animated flicks in the works, direct to dvd, i believe

recamended reading if you like Gothic art, ghost-demon, the Occult, or just like the
    big red guy beating the crap outta stuff stories, with a little humor

13. Sn4tcH

Sn4tcH Jedi Master star 4

Oct 22, 2004
    Yeah, this is a good case of a director loving the source material. You can throw it in a group with Sin City, Batman Begins, and Spider-man. These weren't directors and writers looking for a quick buck. These are movies that, IMO, would make the writers of the comics proud.

Del Toro loves Hellboy, and it shows in the movies accuracy to the feel of the comic. Funny, adventure, and even a little scary. I always like to call Hellboy "Indiana Jones with superheros" because that's the feeling that I got from the film.

14. JediPriestess

JediPriestess Jedi Master star 4

Jul 28, 2004
    I loved this flick! :)

15. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    Hellboy 2 Filming in May

Ron Perlman talked to the LA Daily News about Hellboy 2: The Golden Army, for which Pan's Labyrinth director Guillermo del Toro has flown to Budapest to "zero in on the beginning of principal photography."

Perlman added that he is busy working out to get back into that super suit of his for a production start around the end of May. "I'm already in the gym six days a week," he notes with a smile. And what does his workout consist of? "The push-ups, the sit-ups, the stationary bike. Then, of course, there's the lifting of the pizza." Does he have a trainer? "I have a trainer, and I'm almost housebroken," he quips.

The sequel will have "an epic quality," says Perlman, even as it "continues to explore all the things that are great about this character - a superhero who is such an underachiever and such an adolescent."

Hellboy 2: The Golden Army is scheduled to hit theaters on August 1, 2008.

16. RedHanded_Jill

RedHanded_Jill Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    has anyone caught the cartoon network movies? the last one was about a vampire. it was pretty good.

17. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Agreed.The only issue I have with Hellboy is the ending. By the time you get to the end, they've already established that Hellboy is pretty well invincible, so there's no dramatic impact to Hellboy fighting a building-sized mass of evil.

18. DarthButt

DarthButt Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2003
    Yeah, but his one liners made up for that.

And as cheesey as you would think it sounds from anyone else, the phone ringing and him saying "It's for you" is pretty funny. Best one-liner ever.

19. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    i haven't caught any of the animated movies. what's the word on them?

20. Sith_Lord_Linkoping

Sith_Lord_Linkoping Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 19, 2001
  21. Darth_Sidious-

Darth_Sidious- Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 14, 2005
    Thanks for the update.

I'm a huge fan of Guillermo Del Toro so I decided to buy this one on DVD and I really liked it. The sequel should be good.

22. Sith_Lord_Linkoping

Jan 19, 2001
    Hellboy 2 to Film at Korda Studios

Hellboy 2 to Film at Korda Studios

Source: Caboodle.hu May 14, 2007

Caboodle.hu reports on an article at Metro.hu (only in hungarian) which states that Universal Studios has chosen Korda Studios near Budapest to film Hellboy 2: The Golden Army. Filming is starting in June.

Hit the link above for the full articles. Korda Studios' official website is located here.

23. Sith_Lord_Linkoping

Jan 19, 2001
    Nice teaser poster by Mike Mignola.

[image=http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa94/SLL77/Film/hellboycomiccon.jpg]

24. Sith_Lord_Linkoping

Jan 19, 2001

25. Sith_Lord_Linkoping

Jan 19, 2001

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.