main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Hi Hello all!

Discussion in 'Welcome New Users' started by CptSteam, Mar 14, 2014.

1. CptSteam

CptSteam Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 14, 2014
    Just wanted to introduce myself.

I've been a Star Wars fan since I was 4, and enjoy everything from the movies, comics, games, toys, you name it. I have a particular interest in the original trilogy and the EU (as it once was at least).

I'm a Walt Disney Imagineer which means I will be refraining from speculating on anything new, but am looking forward to talking about everything else.

Thanks!

2. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Hello and welcome aboard. :) Do you like all EU or do you have an Era you prefer?

3. CptSteam

Mar 14, 2014

Thanks!

I wouldn't say I have a preference for an era, I'm just more familiar with some. Post ROTJ and in and around the original films is what I read most growing up, but I've also been getting into the Legacy comics and even the Jedi Force War lately.

4. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    I likewise grew up mostly with the Post RotJ EU.

Are there certain aspects that really appeal to you about SW?

5. CptSteam

Mar 14, 2014

That's a really good question. I think what appeals to me the most is that I can pick any single item, event, word, etc, and dive into a wealth of information on it. You don't get that kind of level of detail in many other places.

6. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Agreed. I love world-building and history and cultural aspects in SW myself. These kind of things really appeal to me personally I think because I like to understand how and why things work the way they do. Plus, I write.

7. CptSteam

Mar 14, 2014
    Nice, what do you write?

8. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Nothing published though it's my dream.

I seem to take a different approach to writing than many. My writing is personal. It sort of serves as a journal but not quite. I see my ability to write as a means of expression, self-examination, and release. I discovered my passion to write in 1995 shortly after my parents divorced. I usually blend several issues that are on my mind/mean a lot to me at a given time then try to build a story in which I can safely explore that set of issues. My writing often is a tribute in some fashion to people I respect highly as well.

My current one is a complete rewrite/reimaging of a story I first began in 2009 and abandoned in 2011. It began with this question from a friend: If you could do a film what would it be about and who would be in it.I have been studying 'actors' particularly through observation via interviews and personal writing since 1997. This stems from my distress in how much of the public seems to disregard their humanity--simply wanting to be entertained--choosing the character over the breathing person.

I want to know who these men are that help me dream and cope through a sometimes harsh personal life. The main elements of my current piece are about exploring different aspects of love, healing, strength, and overcoming. In it's pages I deal with a very sensitive topic from an angle that is rarely explored. I do so because it is through my words that I often face fears.

I tend toward writing either Earth-based drama or fantasy with scifi elements.

9. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Welcome, Cpt! Your job sounds amazing :D

It sounds like you would really like Literature and EU Community with your books and comics love :D

Please don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions!

10. CptSteam

Mar 14, 2014

Nice! Everything you said sounds nice and ambitious!

11. CptSteam

Mar 14, 2014

Yeah, I planning on looking around in there. Thanks!

Also, where would I look for discussions on the Hasbro Black Series figures. I don't see a toy section.

12. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Collecting, maybe?

Thanks. :)

13. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
  14. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
  15. CptSteam

Mar 14, 2014
    Haha, check the most recent post. ;) Thanks though!

16. Malcolm Reynolds

Malcolm Reynolds Jedi Master star 5

Sep 2, 2013
    I hope your dream happens

Cushing's Admirer likes this.
  17. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    Welcome CptSteam! :)

Beside of the new stuff around here, there are so many more things to do that I don't think that you'll get bored that soon. ;)

Enjoy your stay! :)

18. Jedi General Gelderd

Jedi General Gelderd Jedi Master star 5

Mar 6, 2004
    Welcome to the forum, CptSteam!

I think you'll fit in right away here, and I look forward to reading any of your work you can get on here!

Enjoy your stay!

:D