main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Canada Hello Canada! Help for an international visitor

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by Last_Chael, Mar 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Last_Chael

Last_Chael Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 25, 2006
    Hi! I'm Abigael, I live in Australia :D

I'm being given the opportunity to finish my last sememster of study in Canada :D I'll be connected with Wilfred Laurier University, but be doing a field placement in the local area. It's not completely official yet, but it's a pretty good chance; I'll hopefully know for certain in a months time. I'm really excited, but I realised I really don't know much about the area, or Canada itself! So I figured who better to ask than fellow Star Wars fans! :D Anything you can tell me would be so helpful :D

2. Lord_Robert

Lord_Robert Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 20, 2005
    What city is Laurier University in?

3. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    Canada is a good country to be in. Your going to be comming right around while the weather is warming up. If you tell me what Province or city Laurier University is in, I can probably help you out. I know its not in Ottawa,we only have a few Uni's here. Business opportunities are growing here too, so its a good place to get a job.

Landscape is beautiful, people are great[especially on July 1 :)] money is colourful. Gas prices are pretty bad here though.

4. Last_Chael

Last_Chael Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 25, 2006
    Ooops! Sorry I forgot to say where it was! [face_blush] I hope I get this right, it's in Kitchener/Waterloo which is in Ontario.

I'll be coming over for the second semester of study, which is in September (sorry I forgot to say that too ooops! I got all excited :p). I'll probably fly over in August so that I can have a few weeks to get to know the area and perhaps do some sightseeing :D So I'll just get the end of summer for you guys, which is the end of our winter. Actually, it's probably a good thing that I'll be coming from our winter, it will help acclimatise me to your autumn weather.

A lady I work with used to live in the US and has visited Canada so she was telling me a little bit about it. I think also being a Commonwealth country, it won't be so drastically different to here :p Oooh colourful money? I know the exchange rate is a lot better with Canada that it is with the US (thank goodness). I don't think I'll actually be able to drive over there though. I'm probably going to be making good friends with the public transport! Another reason I want to fly over early, so I can work out how I'll get places!

I'm not sure yet where I'll likely be doing my placement. I'm hoping some kind of community work, so I'll most likely live off campus, somewhere close to where my prac is (also depends on where the other student I'll be coming over with is working as well).

5. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    Kitchener is a nice little town. About a 2 hour drive from Ottawa, the capital. Kitchener is midly populated, has some nice hotels and clubs. Not alot of stores in some of the main areas, the strips are alright for shopping though. As for Canadian education its alot more less stressing up here. For money, if you got enough to exchange you'll probably be making a good hundred or two just in exchange.

From what I've heard from some of my friends in the University of Waterloo, it's a nice city with great friendly people.

6. Lord_Robert

Lord_Robert Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 20, 2005
    Well then Welcome.

I am from the London chapter about an hour drive from there. In that area there is the Toronto, Halton and Niagra chapters too. There is not one in Kitchener/Waterloo but all 4 of these are within an hour drive or bus.

The London chapter is used often, there is someone on at lest once a day. If you are coming this spring We are having a 30th Anniversary party in May at our largest park, with a costume contest and saber torniment. We have prizes from local merchants and even some signed work from Dark Horse comics.

We meet at lest once a month on a Sunday.
    We are planning a night out at laser Quest in June.
    We are setting up a saber training class as well.
    We are planning in June to atending the new Harry Potter movie is costume or as close to a Harry Potter costume as one can get.

If you try the other 3 chapters I mentioned you my find that there is someone living in that area. We don't have anyone from there but you are always welcome in London.here is our link.

http://boards.theforce.net/london_on/b10405/p1

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.