main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Hello Croatia!

Discussion in 'Archive: Croatia' started by Dark Lady Mara, Jul 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    You should apply for Slavic languages courses next year. :) I'm sure you would do well in it. I've never met a person who is so interested in it, not even the people I've met from the School of Slavonic Studies here at UCL.

Oh, I'm finaly going to see Nightwatch and Daywatch. :D Sci-Fi Society is organizing a movie showing in a lecture theatre after which we will probably go to cinema to see the sequel. :)

2. Cobranaconda

Cobranaconda Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 3, 2004
    They turned me down! I told you that already. My grades weren't good enough.

And the Fox versions of them suck. Try finding the Russian versions instead. Much better, and whilst the subtitle's grammar is bad, at least it reflects what's actually being said, rather than something completely unrelated (as what happens in the Fox versions) :p

3. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I want to read the books before I see Nightwatch and Daywatch. The films look really good from the trailers.

4. Cobranaconda

Mar 3, 2004
    Day Watch film has nothing to do with Day Watch book :p Day Watch film is a mashup of parts 2 and 3 of the Night Watch book, with a completely unrelated ending.

5. Amon_Amarth

Jan 27, 2005
    I just watched the trailers. The look good. But I was under the impression that this whole thing is epic fantasy and most of the scenes seem to be from the present time.

6. Cobranaconda

Mar 3, 2004
    Epic fantasy? What gave you that idea? The whole point of the books and films is that it's post-Communist Russia in which a Cold War-like state exists between the Forces of Light and Dark.

Only oldschool stuff in them is the Battle on the Bridge at the beginning of Night Watch (and the revamp at the end), Tamerlan at the beginning of Day Watch, and the battle at the end of Day Watch :p

7. Amon_Amarth

Jan 27, 2005
    The cover of the book looked like fantasy. And people from UCL Sci-Fi Society mentioned epic fantasy on various occasions... Oh well.

8. Cobranaconda

Mar 3, 2004
    Which book covers have you been looking at? The ones I have just look like pictures of Moscow with Vampires on them :p

9. Deciple_of_Malak

Deciple_of_Malak Jedi Master star 4

Jul 10, 2005
    Try next year. You can always do better on the admissions exam second time. :)

I've heard about Nightwatch and Daywatch, but I've heard it was some low-budget project. [face_thinking]
    I might watch it if it comes to local cinemas.

10. Cobranaconda

Mar 3, 2004
    Um, in the UK we don't have admission exams. They look at your A-level results and make their decision based on that. My A-levels weren't good enough. I can't retake them now, I'm already doing a HND :p

And they're the biggest budget Russian films ever, so... yeah :p The Special Effects are very good, and there's a story, so it doesn't suffer like the PT did :p

11. Deciple_of_Malak

Jul 10, 2005
    PT is still Star Wars, though. And nothing beats Star wars. :D ;)

12. Cobranaconda

Mar 3, 2004
    Nah, PT is so horrid it's not SW. I just pretend that George didn't decide to resurrect the films. Everything he's personally done to SW since 1997 has sucked.

Hell, NJO sucks less than the PT :p

13. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    I like both the PT and the NJO, regardless of how good they.

I'd be interested to see what the ST will be like (the Sequel Trilogy, that is).

14. Amon_Amarth

Jan 27, 2005
    PT is not so good as the OT, but I still love it. And also, Clone Wars! :D

I like NJO as well.

I would also like to see ST, but The Thrawn Trilogy in movies. Hopefully good movies that follow Zahn story well. If they do a special, new story for the ST, I'm sure if I'd like that. It would interfere with the canon too much.

15. Lord_of_all_Noldor

Lord_of_all_Noldor Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 30, 2005
    I wouldn't want to see the Sequel Trilogy, I need to admit that. The Saga is complete, now, I don't see more to it. I like NJO a lot. But that is all expanded universe and it should stay that way.

16. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    I don't think they could do a sequel trilogy, it'd either have to fit in with all the books and everything, which would take a lot of work, or they'd have to ignore all the books and pretend they didn't happen, and the fans wouldn't be happy with, not since the PT films make references to the EU.

17. Deciple_of_Malak

Jul 10, 2005
    I'd be inetersted in ST if they just filmed one of the books. NJO series would be gerat. Just not sure how that would all look in a trilogy. I would also like to see old actors return. If Harrison Ford is vital enough be play Indy again, he may as well be Han Solo again. ;)

18. Amon_Amarth

Jan 27, 2005

Very true. :D

19. sick_sith_girl

sick_sith_girl Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 23, 2005
    I want to see the Sequel Trilogy. :D I have so many Star wars books to read, and I'd rather to see it all as a movie, or a trilogy.

20. Amon_Amarth

Jan 27, 2005
    But most of them are good, you should read them.

Personally, I prefer reading that watching movies (generally, except Saga, I'd always watch that). When they make a movie about a book I'm usually very disappointed. Best example is Harry Potter. And yesterday I've seen trailer for The Golden Compass (His Dark Materials movie). Now, I've read only the first book of the trilogy, but never the less, I'm afraid that the film will not do it any justice.

21. Deciple_of_Malak

Jul 10, 2005
    I've never been a great fan of Harry Potter, but even I got a little angry after watching the movies (Azkaban +). They are so poor compared to the books and I'm especially dissappointed by the Order of the Phoenix.

But EU is great! :D You should give it a go with a book or two and then you'll get addicted. ;) And in books you can actually use your own imagination, in films you just watch somebody else's. ;)

Read the Zahn's trilogy. That's the best intro to EU.

22. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    I agree and yet I disagree. Films will never compare well to the books that they're based on, it's not possible to include everything in a book, and they've failed with short stories as well, so they're kind of set up to fail from the start. However, while I agree that they're no way as good as the books I still love the films.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.