main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:WA Hello Everybody!!!!!

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Jedi_Nat, Jul 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Nat

Jedi_Nat Jedi Master star 5

Nov 28, 2000
    Hey guys/gals,

Yes, I've been away for a bit wallowing in my own self pity, but I've had some people at work knock some sense into me and made me see the light of day. I am a new person - and back to being a good ol Jedi! I would have been on earlier, but I didn't want to go through the same rubbish as a couple of years ago - and I really do not want to go there.....

Anyways, I'm up for a meet as I haven't seen a couple of yous for ages - and some I haven't met at all. And I will turn up. I promise!

[face_peace] [:D]

2. Master_Kaustin

Master_Kaustin Jedi Youngling star 3

May 17, 2002
    Yeah Nat im up for a meet at some stage havent seen you in years!

3. soneil

soneil Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    Not sure when I'll be in Perth next so any meets in the near future I might have to skip on.

4. Stinky_jawa

Stinky_jawa Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 7, 2000
  5. Sith Magician

Sith Magician Jedi Master star 5

Sep 14, 1999
    Hey there Nat, how've you been?

Still following cricket teams all over the country? :p

6. menace1976

menace1976 Jedi Youngling

Jul 8, 2005
    Not appropriate.

7. Jedi_Nat

Nov 28, 2000
    I've been OK, but somebody's been spreading diseases around work and I've been in bed sick all weekend. I'll see how I feel in the morning if I can go to work.

Hee Hee, I remember those pink aprons - I started in the service deli back in 97.

Haven't followed any cricket teams - it's only winter and the fixturing for next season is rubbish. I have contemplated getting on a plane to get away one weekend, but I'm saving up for a UK/Europe holiday next year.

8. Stinky_jawa

Dec 7, 2000
    *cheers for Woolworths employees*

used to be cashier.. and 'trolley attendant' lol.. sigh.. more freedom outside

9. menace1976

Jul 8, 2005
  10. Sith Magician

Sep 14, 1999
    Damn that Lucas! The nerve of releasing a pirate version with a banner making you download the new version when you just know that the next pirated release won't have it. Unbelievable, Lucas is just after all of our bandwidth!

11. Jedi_Nat

Nov 28, 2000
    Well I started off in the deli back in Dec 96 and lasted only 5 months in that dept! Apparently the deli manager didn't like me! So I was moved to checkouts and in mid 2000, I found myself in Nontrade learning Systems (point-of-sale) and Cash Office. I also had this habit of freezing all the computers at the time and IT had just gone national. Gotta luv those 15 mins waiting on hold for someone to pick up. I've been a cashier for about five years and just transferred to Morley a few weeks ago - a nice busy store which gives me a good challenge as I was bored at Belmont.

As for the pirated copy of ROTS - tsk tsk [face_shame_on_you] . I'm going to be a good girl and wait until the official DVD gets released. I like watching all the extras on the DVD.

Well I better get back to bed, as much as I don't want to. The doc gave me the week off work. How they hell did I manage to get a traceal infection? [face_sick] No matter - one week doin nothin but watching DVD's. I wish my brother would take his position as nurse seriously! I mean, who can't make chicken noodle soup? Really! :confused:

BTW - need new DVD's... ;)

12. Aztek

Aztek Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2001
    Welcome back Nat, hope you start feeling better soon. I think I picked up the flu or some virus while I was in Perth this weekend just gone, not feeling too flash myself.

13. Jedi_Nat

Nov 28, 2000
    Hi there JA! Long time no see, ah hear! All I can recommend for the flu is rest and lots of warm lemonade! And lots of good DVDs!

I'm going to be so naughty very soon. [face_mischief] I'm supposed to be in bed resting, but my DVD collection needs some additions as I've had enough of watching the same ones over and over and over again. I'm going to sneak out to Belmont Forum and to Big W. Hopefully I won't get caught by the former employees I worked with at Woolies there! Then I'll drop by Hungry Jack's on the way home as I have a craving for fast food.....

14. menace1976

Jul 8, 2005
  15. Sith Magician

Sep 14, 1999
    And that makes it AAAAAALLLLLLL better...

16. Shadow_of_Evil

Shadow_of_Evil Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 18, 2001
    HaHa...well I've got a DVD-quality rip with NO timecodes or anything...and it's in 5.1 ;)
    Anyhoo...yeah, damn piraters!
    [face_worried]

:p

17. Sith Magician

Sep 14, 1999
    Elliot, seeing as you're someone who hopes to one day work in the film industry, I'm utterly ashamed of you.

Sure, I've owned pirate movies before, got some now in fact, but you'll find that they're films that haven't come out on DVD and are at least around 10 years old.

I don't give a damn if you've seen it 8 times, if it's still in it's theatrical run adn you like it enough to see it a 9th, then you go pay for a 9th time. That's how it works.

I hope blockheads like you are happy in a few short years when the major blockbuster has gone extinct and the reality TV plague also infects the film industry.

And if you don't think that's the way it's going due to mass piracy of new movies, then I suggest you go do some research into the matter.

Having pirate copies of films that are years old is one thing, and I certainly wouldn't condone that either, but films that are still on at the cinema? That's just out and out theft.

I apologise Nat, I know this isn't relevant to your thread, but neither is bragging your army of ex-girlfriends are able to supply you with pirate films.

Now returning you to your regular program...

18. Jedi_Nat

Nov 28, 2000
    That's OK SM. I am against piracy, so go ahead and say what you like about those naughty people. I have a couple of cricket bats what could be used for punishment!!!!! [face_beatup]

19. soneil

soneil Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    SM's view may seem a little harsh but I agree completely. My parents have a bunch of pirated DVDs that a friend brings them from East Timor. When our kids go to visit we don't let them watch the pirate ones out of principle. I also have a couple of home-made pirate DVDs but nothing that can be bought. My Footrot Flats DVD for instance, I'll no longer need now that there'll finally be an official version released in a few months. I've bought a lot of DVDs and kinda resent people who have more than me and haven't bought half of them. Even worse, the file sharing networks I used to download tv episodes from are now shut down due to all the movie piracy that was hapenning.:(
    I'm not in the film industry but I've been very involved with the music industry for quite some time and feel the same about music. As a former professional DJ who's spent countless thousands of dollars on music and still spends a lot on it the level of piracy concerns me. I can understand people downloading the odd song here or there, but folks who have an Ipod with hundreds of songs, none of which are paid - and they can't understand what's wrong with that - that bugs me. Sure it may not hurt puff daddy or Britney (unfortunately) but I've seen literally dozens of smaller quality music labels go down the tubes in recent years.
    Anyway - off topic. Back on topic. Like a few other people I copped some sickness recently. Visited Perth at the beginning of holidays, caught the flu, and then spent the next week at home with Susie, the kids & I all crook at the same time. Kinda sucked. Not sure when I'll be in Perth next Nat but we'll definately have to have a meet. Our very first meet was a movie viewing and I think you were at that one weren't you? When X-men came out.

20. Master_Kaustin

Master_Kaustin Jedi Youngling star 3

May 17, 2002
    haha ;)

All im gonna say is, nearly everyone on these boards at some stage would have been given a film or downloaded one while or before it hit cinemas.. whether you choose to watch it or not thats up the person who downloads it or receives it. Everyone is due to give an opinion but calling someone a block head for having one is just crap. And being ashamed because he has it, I think you have some objects in your house that would make lots of film makers ashamed.

Anyways i love my ROTS DVD.. its very nice.. And I think hiring a whole cinema to see it first is more then enough to watch my dvd in the comfort of my own home.

My 2 cents... and Nat sorry, as Sith said back to normal programming..

21. Sith Magician

Sep 14, 1999
    I'll respond to this:

Everyone is due to give an opinion but calling someone a block head for having one is just crap.

Seeing what's happening in the industry, and where it's going unless some changes are brought in very soon, calling him blockhead was letting him off very lightly.

And being ashamed because he has it, I think you have some objects in your house that would make lots of film makers ashamed.

You'd be amazed. There are filmmakers I know who are happy that certain artifacts were saved and not destroyed. Nothing I have was taken while it was still being used, everything was taken from the garbage dump they do each time they are finished with a particular set. My most prized items were actually given a home right before what they were a part of was to be destroyed and the debris taken away.

I think your use of the word "ashamed" there has no relevance.

Not too mention the fact that my owning Padme's senate seat, for example, has any effect on the box office takings of RotS.

22. Shadow_of_Evil

Nov 18, 2001
    Not too mention the fact that my owning Padme's senate seat, for example, has any effect on the box office takings of RotS.

True...but niether does me having the DVD. I've seen it enough times at the cinmea to no want to watch the movie again for many months. However, everynow and then I might feel like watching Anakin cook or let's say, watch the opening battle. I certainly wont buy a ticket, with or without owning the DVD, to see it at the cinema just for that.
    I know where you're coming from dude...but there are pretty much no more cinemas showing it in Perth anymore, and I'm still going to be buying the DVD release in November.

23. Stinky_jawa

Dec 7, 2000
    And you find these urges to want see Anakin 'cook' happen often?

uhuh... *meaningfull nod and writes something in my notebook* and how does that make you feel?

24. Sith Magician

Sep 14, 1999
    True...but niether does me having the DVD.

And noone else in your family watches it? You don't lend it out or let anyone else, who'd go to the cinema otherwise, see it?

However you think you can justify piracy.

25. Shadow_of_Evil

Nov 18, 2001
    And noone else in your family watches it? You don't lend it out or let anyone else, who'd go to the cinema otherwise, see it?

No, no one else watches it...everyone in my family saw it in the cinema and that was enough for them. I havn't lent it out because I don't want to lose it.
    I'm not trying to justify piracy, but me having this DVD after having spend a good few hundred on tickets already, to me, dosn't seam as bad as you're making it out to be...if I was selling copies of it, then yes, that'd be shamefull.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.