main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Hello everyone, where to start?

Discussion in 'Welcome New Users' started by Astrocreep, Jan 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Astrocreep

Astrocreep Jedi Youngling

Jan 18, 2010
    Hello everyone, just registered, so, as a "noob" thought I'd introduce myself. Living in the UK, getting old, been a fan for a while, but never really thought about anything other than the films, so looking for a bit of advice for places to look for decent novels/graphic novels etc.

Oh, if anyone wonders, the name came from a White Zombie album from years ago, its always been my online name for fora and the like, so thought I would use it for this, hoping its ok, even if not SW relevant.

Just had a read of the perennial "best lightsaber duellist" topic, god, there's some knowledge in this place isn't there!? I know next to nothing other than the films and a couple of little bits I've read here and there, so I won't be arrogant enough to put my opinion on the matter!

As for the films, I'm not sure which I like best, but I think I'd rank them possibly like this;

1. ROTS
    2. ROTJ
    3. ESB
    4. ANH
    5. AOTC
    6. TPM

Oh, and when I've got down to here, this box is flickering and making it horrible to type. Any reason for this?

Thats about it for now,

Cheers Guys

Astro

2. spycoder9

spycoder9 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 23, 2008
    Welcome to the boards. I hope you enjoy your stay.

3. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Welcome to the JC!! As to your first question, Lit is the place for discussion of the novels. In the most recent books, there's a list of all the SW books, which can also be found here. If you're looking for post-ROTJ stuff, I'd suggest starting with The Truce at Bakura by Kathy Tyers or Heir to the Empire by Timothy Zahn.

However, I also feel that i should direct yuo to Census and Games - not really relevant to the novels, but it's an awesome forum with cool games (and loads of chances to win username colors).

As to your second - I used to have problems with that on all sites where I typed in a box like this. It just went away one day. However, I'd suggest switching your browser (are you on IE? Though I prefer IE, Firefox might work better) and/pr asking in the tech thread :)

4. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    Welcome to the forums!

5. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Qui-Gon_Reborn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 11, 2008
    Welcome, creep! Oh, wait, maybe that's not the best of nicknames for you. Astro? Like that one better? :p

I'm only joking, of course. [face_laugh] Welcome to the forums! Just shoot me or any of the other mods a PM if you've got any questions. And be sure to stop by at the Star Wars Community forum. You'll know why when you get there. :D

6. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    Welcome Astrocreep! :)

Your name is perfectly fine and the same goes for your knowledge about SW. It's not important how much you know about SW, it's more important that you like SW and then you'll enjoy this site a lot for sure. And of course, if you want you can learn tons of details of SW. :D

About the flickering box... I have not idea. I would suggest to try out another browser as well. Hopefully that works. And I've wrote LAJ_FETT who knows a lot about computers and maybe has an idea how you can get rid of that. :)

Enjoy your stay! :)

7. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Astrocreep - we've had complaints about the flickering box from IE8 users. If you are one, try switching to compatibility mode. I believe the button for that is at the top near the reload button. An alternative might be to use Firefox.

8. Astrocreep

Astrocreep Jedi Youngling

Jan 18, 2010
    Thanks for the welcome everyone, I'll try Firefox and see if that makes a difference.

Does anyone know if there is a sort of "community" based on SW "fan design" stuff, not fan fiction as such, but vehicles, ships, mech stuff etc? I've always done sort of "concept" sketches for various things, not particularly SW related, but was wondering if anyone else is into that? Got some ideas based around some of the SW universe, Naboo, for instance, seems particularly "specific" in terms of design aesthetic.

9. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    Maybe you're looking for FanArt or FanFilm? Those should be the boards that will help you the most for what you're looking for. Take a look around there and if you can't find it, just let us or the mods of those two boards know. They will help you as good as possible as well. :)

10. ILuvJarJar

ILuvJarJar Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 19, 2008
    Welcome to the forums Astrocreep![face_peace]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.