main
side
curve

Hi Hello from a novice writer, also looking for book recs

Discussion in 'Welcome New Users' started by mammalbirds, Jun 18, 2018.

1. mammalbirds

mammalbirds Jedi Youngling

Jun 16, 2018
    I'm a fan who's fascinated by the philosophies of Jedi vs Sith, and would enjoy discussing them and reading more about the lore. One of my favorite aspects is how the Jedi have to combat the selfishness of the Sith, yet their devotion to society by renouncing their attachments is instrumental in Anakin's fall to the dark side.

I've seen some of clone wars, rebels, and played the games, though not the RPGs and haven't read the novels. I just started The Old Republic: Deceived and Darth Bane seems interesting; which do you think is better, if comparable? I'm mainly looking for books that discuss jedi vs sith philosophies as I mentioned. I heard a few spoilers about KOTOR and was like that's definitely an interesting take on the matter.

I just finished a star wars story that discusses hard decisions that stem from this selfishness/selflessness debate, and posted it on wattpad/fanfiction.net. I feel like I often use the same words over and over, so in time I'm looking to diversify my writing. Other than the writing style, I think the themes explored in the story are pretty provoking, which are tied to the story's plot twists.

Looking forward to getting to know the community!

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
  2. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2004
    Welcome! On the fanfiction side, there is a broad diversity not just of themes but of concentrations: Legends versus NEU. From PT through to ST. :cool: The talent there is superb! There are also discussion threads in Fanfiction Writing Resource that help with the mechanics of writing and when anyone gets stuck. @};-

And take it from someone who just discovered RPGs on the JCF, they're fun! [face_party]

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  3. mammalbirds

mammalbirds Jedi Youngling

Jun 16, 2018
    Thanks! I didn't know about the mechanics discussions thread before, I'll lurk the old ones

Also, anyone can feel free to PM me to discuss anything!

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  4. Lady Belligerent

Lady Belligerent • WNU Adoptions Coordinator• star 7 VIP - Game Host

Jan 29, 2008
    Hello, welcome to the community. I’m happy to answer questions or help you out finding your way around if you need it.

All Sith aren’t selfish. :p

mammalbirds and Jedi Knight Fett like this.
  5. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron Jedi Mod Princess of the WNU star 10 Staff Member Moderator

Jun 3, 2003
    comes in and pushes past @Lady Belligerent

Welcome! Like the Sith beside me, this Jedi Master is happy to help in any way she can ;) :p Jedi aren't selfish at all!!! ;)

6. BadCane

BadCane Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 28, 2015
  7. Kyber Acyk

Kyber Acyk Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 30, 2017
    Hello there @mammalbirds and welcome to the forums - I hope you will enjoy it here :)

8. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Hand of the Mod Squad and Enforcer of the Realm star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Welcome @mammalbirds Let us know if you have any questions about navigating the forum.

9. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Force Ghost star 8

Nov 20, 2012
  10. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 12, 2017
  11. Lady Belligerent

Lady Belligerent • WNU Adoptions Coordinator• star 7 VIP - Game Host

Jan 29, 2008
  12. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Host, PT Interview Thread star 10 VIP - Game Host

Feb 18, 2014
    Welcome @mammalbirds

If you are looking for lore on Sith and the Jedi I would recommend reading the Darth Bane trilogy and the other old Republic books are also full of it.

In the new canon I would recommend reading Lords of the Sith and Tarkin when it comes to sith snd Jedi Lore.

I hope you have a great time chatting here.

mammalbirds likes this.