main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Hello from Down-Under

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Sabre_11, Jun 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sabre_11

Sabre_11 Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 1, 2005
    [face_laugh] Yes I did mean Koalas. Just an evil prank we use on unsuspecting tourists.... [face_laugh]

2. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Koalas are cute

[image=http://www.delargy.com/images/AisaPac/koala.jpg]

[image=http://news.nationalgeographic.com/kids/2003/08/images/koala-big.jpg]

3. JED1

JED1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 1998
    I'd eat one! Mmm, meat with a hint of minty freshness![face_laugh]

4. Jedi_Jimbo

Jedi_Jimbo Jedi Master star 6

Oct 1, 2004
    They may be bred for food now but that doesn't mean that is why they are on the earth.
    I have eaten Alligator, Kangaroo and Ostrich. All lovely.
    I would love to try shark/
    I am a big believer in "don't knock it 'til you try it" when it comes to food.

5. Sabre_11

Jun 1, 2005
    Umm, minty freshness? They eat eucalyptus leaves, rotten tasting leaves they are.

Plus we aren't allowed to eat Koalas, only 'Roos...

6. JED1

JED1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 1998
    I know it's eucalyptus! but that's always tasted kinda minty to me! maybe I've got warped taste buds!lol! I also know they're protected and you can't eat them but if I was a survivor on a crashed plane at the top of the Andes and another survivor was that wee Quantas Koala, I'm sorry but he's the first to go! [face_laugh]

7. Jedi_Jimbo

Oct 1, 2004
    Aren't they supposed to be vicious if you wake them up?

8. Sabre_11

Jun 1, 2005
    Dunno, never tried. The are really lazy and dopey most of the time though...

9. Jedi_Jimbo

Oct 1, 2004
    Maybe I am half koala then?
    [face_thinking]

10. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Na, they aren't viscious, I think they're too slow to be a real danger
    They sleep a lot, and can be a bit smelly

I think they also get a lot of gas, since they only eat Eucalyptus leaves :p

11. Happy Ninja

Happy Ninja Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 20, 2000
    They are all over the place. There is one in Birmingham, Wolverhampton, Sheffield, and I think there are a few in London, too.

12. Canadian-Sith

Canadian-Sith Jedi Youngling star 4

May 25, 2006

[face_laugh]

13. timbolton

timbolton Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 14, 2003
    Sharks feel the same way too :p

And the lads on here don't? :p

14. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Well, I can't smell through my PC

Oh, did I put an S in that?
    My bad.....I type too fast [face_blush]

15. Happy Ninja

Happy Ninja Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 20, 2000
    Actually, Koala's do have very sharp, very long claws. And I tell you, those buggers can move when they need to!

16. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Lol, the only one I held didn't seem keen to go anywhere, even when I put it back on it's branch :p

17. Jedi_Jimbo

Oct 1, 2004
    Found this on the 'net ...

Why are people fascinated with them?
    Mostly because they were in those really cool ads some years ago, where a koala bear would appear on top of a parked jet airliner saying "I hate Quatas" in this miserable little voice. Also, because they are cute but dangerous, and because they live in Australia, which has all of the worlds most interesting animals, with the exception, of course, of elephants,lemurs and a few others.

Basic info:
    I don;t know much about koala bears, really, except that they hate Quantas. Maybe someone could help me out with this- if so, e-mail me... but I do know that koalas live in Eucalyptis trees, where they munch the leaves of this tree, raise their young, and lie in wait for passing humans, who they typically (and without warning) pelt with Eucalyptis nuts. Seventeen deaths a year are ascribed to koala-peltings. They are very dangerous animals when cornered - which is bad, since you have them cornered pretty much the moment you encounter one.
    Koala bears often become roaring drunk on the Eucalyptis sap, which, I have only now been informed, is incredibly intoxicating. When in this state, their accuracy with the Eucalyptis-nuts dramatically falls off and they tend to fall out of their trees onto anyone below. They are no less dangerous, however, since when they are earth bound, they are unable to reach the delicious Eucalyptis leaves, and they become unbelievably cranky. While not normally seen as swift creatures, a ravenous drunk cranky earth-bounded koala bear can move with great speed for short distances - they have been clocked at over 70 mph over short distances chasing and catching over-zealous American tourists!
    Finally, koalas are huge fans of Australian Rules Football, especially the Western teams. They will do almost anything to get a chance to see a match, particularly the great Western Derby (in which 47 players were maimed this year, and an additional 8 killed). Koalas are fancied to be the best Aussie Rules Footballers in all the world, but they have proved difficult to recruit due to the findamental lack of Eucalyptis trees on the typical football pitch. Several koalas have been caught on film storming local department stores to purchase televisions and satillite dishes.
    I will put more info in here - and accurate info, too - when I learn more. Meantime, just remember: hates Quantas, will pelt you.

If attacked...
    No one has ever survived an attack by a koala... usually, after they pelt you senseless with Eucalyptis nuts, they drop from the branches of their tree with their awful fangs bared, screaming at the top of their lungs. They grab the face of their victim and basically tear him or her to bits. The only known method for avoiding a koala attack is to stay at home, inside, under the bed (with the lights off, of course) at ALL times. If you are attacked, scream "TIGER SNAKE" and fall to the ground. Sometimes, this tricks the koala into thinking it is about to be on TV. Koalas hate being on tv, so this might buy you enough time to get away.
    Where can I get one?
    In Australia, in any conveniently located Eucalyptis tree. Watch out for nuts.

Do they make good pets?
    Only if you are in the cough drop industry and need to have your trees guarded... (or is that some other kind of -alyptis?)

Started my morning with a laugh.

18. Sabre_11

Jun 1, 2005
    Yeah, that'd be the common description for the Drop Bear.
    It's hilarious when you explain to American tourists the difference between Koalas and Drop Bears, they start staring into the trees scared to death that one of em will jump out and attack them.

Anyways, does anybody want to pop back over to the SAFF, have a convo over there? A lot of the other SAFFers would like to chat with you all on their home turf.

19. Sabre_11

Jun 1, 2005
    Guess who's back with a brand new rap? No, not eminem, its Sabre again!

Seems my boss/leader/chapter-representative was not happy with my friend-making skills.
    If any of you are nice enough to help me out and save me from being stuffed into a burlap sack and beaten with a stick, come on over to the SAFF and head to the link I provided on Page 1 of this thread.

Save me FF-UK, you are my only hope!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.