main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Edmonton Hello from Oakville

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by jellicle_jedi73, Apr 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rogue_Thunder

Rogue_Thunder FanForce CR, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada star 6

Jan 7, 2003
    "France... we are from France."

2. AmberStarbright

AmberStarbright Jedi Grand Master star 7

Dec 20, 2002
    France? uh oh :eek:

(Only kidding just gotta live up to English reputation ;) )

3. Rogue_Thunder

Jan 7, 2003
    We hafto learn french in school here. I sucked at it. :(

4. geekgirl76

geekgirl76 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    you don't HAVE to learn French, you can take a different second language. I took German for a year but I kept speaking French instead. :p

5. Darth_Beowulf

Darth_Beowulf Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 17, 2005
    too funny about the France remark Amber, I married a french lady, much to my families chagrin. Just kidding we all love her but there have been many wisecracks about the unlawful matrimony, i mean lawful. Too bad the french history can be summed up in three words "I give up". My in-laws quite dislike that joke-so i keep mentioning it. Sorry Rogue, its just a joke though. Liannb, I was born in a small district called Taunton, almost like tauntuan-cool eh?, in the sub-district of Wellington. The village was Burlescombe. Very small but so are most of the towns there, its just that they are all five, ten miles apart. I would have replied sooner but I had stuff to do before I read your last message, I wasn't ignoring you. Where abouts have you been-and what the heck were you doing there? if you don't mind me asking.

6. liannb

liannb Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2002
    my grandparents live in st austell in cornwall i've been there to visit them many times, we have relatives who live in exeter so we usually go there and my grandparents used to live in a small town near exeter but i can't remember off hand what it was called, my dad spent his teen years living in torquey (sp) :)

7. Darth_Beowulf

Darth_Beowulf Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 17, 2005
    That is pretty neat, I personally don't remember those places you mentioned but my parents and Grandparents mention Torquey and Cornwall quite often.

8. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    Technically French is supposed to be the second language here but you wouldn't know it. I took Spanish at school and my French extends to "do you speak English?" :p
    Doesn't get me far in France because as soon as they normally find I am English they don't speak it. Which is why when me and Mike went I got him to speak because they like Canadians but not Brits or Yanks

"I give up" [face_laugh]
    That's funny!

I've been to Torquay on holiday :D
    My dad seemed to love that area, I think he was going to move us down there.

9. jellicle_jedi73

jellicle_jedi73 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 26, 2005
    In the smaller towns in France they are happy if you just make the effort to speak french...then they communicate with BIG hand and arm movements.

We go there every other year.... My great uncle who lives in London, cried when he heard i was marring a frenchman...sigh....

Yiann, i also knew the answer to that poll by the way. i think i am answering the wrong thread again......

10. liannb

liannb Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2002
    yes you are but thats ok

have i mentioned that i hate the one post per minute :p

11. jellicle_jedi73

Apr 26, 2005
    BAD BAD one post per minute, causes Yiann so much grief....BerX should SMASH

12. Rogue_Thunder

Jan 7, 2003
    Thread Derailment!!!

BerX SMASH OPPM!!!

I'm bored.

13. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    In the smaller towns in France they are happy if you just make the effort to speak french...then they communicate with BIG hand and arm movements.
    That's true when I was in Calais or south of France going to Spain people were fine with trying to speak English for me, problems I have had were in Paris

OPPM is teh evil :p

14. geekgirl76

Mar 29, 2002
    LOL @ the hand and body language comment. Tie my hands behing my back and I can't speak French, it all comes out as giberish. (of course it's so rusty it's probably mostly giberish anyway) :p My uncle said he followed an entrire conversation from the other side of a store because I talk with my hands.
    I constantly ran into people who, once they realized I was an English speaker, would switch over. That may have been because they didn't want to listen to my goofy accent anymore. The trick is to start in French, no matter how bad, that alone wins you brownie points.

15. jellicle_jedi73

Apr 26, 2005
    So true they LOVE it when you mangle their language. They open their hearts and try to help you, it's very sweet. I actually quite like France, except for some major food issues. iclkle ketchup.

16. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    Food issues?

17. jellicle_jedi73

Apr 26, 2005
    Yes, food issues, believe me you do not want me to get started....Just let me say, corn, tomatoe and egg salad...ewh.

18. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    Ok that really doesn't sound too nice.

I normally don't eat much when in France, now I know why lol
    One thing I do remember having a couple of years back was nice I guess, still prefer English food though ;)

19. jellicle_jedi73

Apr 26, 2005
    at the pizza hut they even put corn on the pizza, and they give you jalapenp oil to pour on it...so very gross.... not to mention what they do to massacure the poor kippers and cold and mushy not even for breakfast...i think it's another weird salad....

the seafood is amazing though, and the home made mayonaisee...YUM

20. geekgirl76

Mar 29, 2002
    Totally agree on the seafood, they had this seafood pizza with the real Italian crust and little tiny octopus. =P~ I never saw a pizza hut, loved having a McDonald's on the corner. :p The hotel in Nice tried to pass off Cal-Can as some kind of stew so we ate out a lot. (and here, I thought eating horse was a joke)

21. jellicle_jedi73

Apr 26, 2005
    YUMMY Cal-can, my sister used to eat milkbones.

That corn salad they just pour the corn right out of the can into the bowl. Ewh. There is a McDonald's by our house in France. i eat a lot of fries some trips... (they also really like eggs, devil, omelette, hardboiled etc. i am fussy about eggs, and one can only eat so many.

short on the post times today, to much sewing.

22. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    Corn as in sweetcorn? because we have that on our pizzas as well :p

23. jellicle_jedi73

Apr 26, 2005
    i don't know sweet corn? just know corn, out of a CAN ewh ick gag. Did not bother to taste it.

Is everybody still star wars giddy? Come post in halton, i am talking to myself again, so lonely.

stupid clock. i really need to go to bed. [face_tired]

24. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    Yes it is the same thing I think.

Sorry not posting before but 10pm board time is like 6am for me :(

25. jellicle_jedi73

Apr 26, 2005
    i got a new bathing suit and flip flops for the next time we go swimming, or in Berx case floating! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.