main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Hello from The North Ridge

Discussion in 'Archive: Atlanta, GA' started by BobaChris12, Aug 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BobaChris12

BobaChris12 Former RSA star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 30, 2002
    We are thawed out, but now have to deal with all of the rain we get. It is not uncommon to get 10 days of rain , then one or two nice days, then right back to many days of rain.

2. RosieWook

RosieWook Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 5, 2000
    Glad to hear that you've thawed. Sorry to hear about the weather. We could use some of that down here, though. Back to the drought, again.

I missed those days of having a bucket in my shower so I could water my plants. 8-}

3. Minacia_Brightstar

Minacia_Brightstar Jedi Youngling star 5

May 23, 2001
    We could definitely use some of that rain. This time of year is typically the rainiest for us, but we've had a sad lack of it.

It is beautiful outside...just very dry.

4. JediXXL

JediXXL Force Ghost star 6

Apr 11, 2003
    Begun the spring thaw has...

5. BobaChris12

BobaChris12 Former RSA star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 30, 2002
    Welcome to Buffalo....chance of snow in May!

6. RosieWook

Dec 5, 2000
    Hmm...around here, 52 degrees is still winter! 8-}

However, having lived in New Hampshire, I know that it really does feel like spring. So congrats on getting there!

Just remember that your chance to turn this around and laugh at us as we melt and suffer from drought is coming up soon. (Well, actually, we are already suffering from the drought part.)

7. Minacia_Brightstar

May 23, 2001
    Heck, anything below 60 degrees is winter around here. :p

8. NarundiJedi

NarundiJedi Jedi Master star 6

Oct 8, 2001
    Hey ya'll. :) I figured I'd pop in here from the frigid north because I probably will be moving to the great city of Atlanta in about a year or so, after my wedding. Then I'll be able to join your crazy bunch!

I have to say, I'm excited. I'm one the few people I know who goes running in 100 degree humid weather and likes it. I'm a life-long New Yorker, so I can't say I know anything other than cold winters, but it would be nice to live somewhere moderately warm to hot. ;)

Jae Angel

9. Minacia_Brightstar

May 23, 2001
    Hey there! :D

If you like it hot and humid, you'll definitely love the summers here. ;)

Feel free to drop in anytime to keep up with what we're doing. And if you do indeed move to Atlanta, be sure to contact me. :)

10. NarundiJedi

Oct 8, 2001
    Oh, I forgot to add that I'm a mechanical and design engineer who usually focuses on medical devices and materials. When I move down, if I don't decide to take a break and have kids, I need to know what the best source is to find jobs in the area. I was figuring maybe there was an online site but I'm horrible at finding those sorts of things. [face_blush]

But right now it's looking like a near-definite thing that we'll be moving. My fiancé has a job already based in Atlanta but he just works up here. And he hates it here. When you go for a week and a half with below zero temps, you begin to wonder why ANYONE would want to live here. :p

Jae Angel

11. RosieWook

Dec 5, 2000
    Hmm...I don't think we have any engineers in our club. But if you want to go ahead and join our list, you could post a query there.

As far as I know, the best place to look for jobs around here is www.ajc.com. That's our local paper and tends to get a lot of job advertising business.

You'll at least want to scope out where there are possibilities for you, since you really need to think strategically when deciding where to live in this town.

We look forward to having you among us!
    Paula

12. Jace Darkrider

Jace Darkrider Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 1998
    Hello:

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution (ajc.com) is a great source for finding work, as Rosiewook suggested. Last year I was in the job searching market myself and found some great websites for job searching. On top of using ajc.com, here is also what I used:

monster.com
    hotjobs.com
    flipdog.com
    computerjobs.com (not just IT related)
    careerbuilder.com

I hope that helps. Good luck :)

13. NarundiJedi

Oct 8, 2001
    Thanks guys. :D I'll check out your local newspaper first. Maybe I can find something relatively soon, but not too soon. ;) I don't want to travel from out of town for my wedding. :p It's in May 2005, like a true SW geek. I plan to see Ep. III as part of my bachelorette party. :D

Jae Angel

14. JediXXL

Apr 11, 2003
    What's up Hothlanta?

15. Minacia_Brightstar

May 23, 2001
    A viewing of a SW movie is a perfect bachelorette party...well, for us fangirls, anyway. ;)

Hey JediXXL! How is things up in Buffalo? :)

16. JediXXL

Apr 11, 2003
    Very busy... We're gearing up for the next month of events, and the DVD release, parades, and a wedding!

Busy busy busy! I feel like the bad magician from Frosty the Snowman! [face_laugh]

17. Minacia_Brightstar

May 23, 2001
    LOL! [face_laugh]

We're getting geared up for Dragon*con right now. So we've been pretty busy too. It's too bad that none of you are going to make it down this year.

18. JediXXL

Apr 11, 2003
    [image=http://www.merlin-net.com/THUMBS2/TDIR0731/X00135_7.JPG]
    LOCAL: Members of the North Ridge Star Wars FanForce Chapter of Buffalo turned out at Media Play in Amherst Monday evening in costume for the release of "The Star Wars Trilogy" which was to go on sale at midnight at the store. They were there not only to get their own copies of the DVD but to also recruit new members to the club. On the left dressed as Darth Vader is Chris Solecki of Cheektowaga, president of the club. (Photo/Elizabeth A. Mundschenk) 09/20/04

19. RosieWook

Dec 5, 2000
    Very cool! Was that in the local paper? Or on TV?

Did you get lots of new members?

20. JediXXL

Apr 11, 2003
    Local newspaper, 2 of the local morning radio shows tried to call Chris, but he was at the morning release event. I think we may have a few new people that will be at the next meeting... The fan turnout was not too bad for a Monday night.

21. JediXXL

Apr 11, 2003
    Snow has returned to Buffalo! [face_coffee]

22. RosieWook

Dec 5, 2000
    Better you than us!

We are actually a bit chilly, finally. We're usually in the 30's overnight by the end of October (stop laughing) and have just now really gotten there.

But our high's are still in the 60's! [face_whistling]

23. JediXXL

Apr 11, 2003
    Well, at least it hasn't been sticking...

24. Minacia_Brightstar

May 23, 2001
    Thank goodness for small favors. ;)

25. JediXXL

Apr 11, 2003
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.