main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Hi Hello from Virginia

Discussion in 'Welcome New Users' started by zisme, Jan 20, 2016.

1. zisme

zisme Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 19, 2016
    hello JCF!

the force has indeed awakened. star wars was an essential part of my childhood in the 90s. even on a modest tube tv and heavily used vhs tapes, the original films hooked in to me like nothing before or probably since (aside from music). the movies, toys, books, video games - i was immersed, to say the least.

the phantom menace hit theaters when i was 11 years old. i guess i was still young enough to see past it's cinematic shortcomings, because it was everything i could have hoped for. the podrace and the lightsaber duels alone were well worth the ticket price, as far as i was concerned. i still enjoy that film, but understand the bashing.

attack of the clones is where i started to "have a bad feeling about this". i think i read the novelized version before the movie came out. ugh. even there, the shallow romance elements were a big turnoff. probably didn't help that i was entering the gloomy teen years. revenge of the sith arrived at the end of high school, and i went into it rather cynically. it was an improvement at least, but perhaps not enough for redemption - at least at that time.

off to college. enter the guitar and a rampant addiction to all things music. six years in undergrad and grad programs. 3 bands. relationship successes and fails. aside from revisiting a few of the old video games (big fan of the dark forces/jedi knight games and the mighty x-wing vs. tie fighter - later battlefront and kotr), which my roommate for several of those years had a shared appreciation for, star wars was pretty dormant.

enter late 2014. settled into "real life". i had heard about disney's acquisition of the sw franchise, but didn't think much of it until the first trailer for the force awakens hit. dear god...the second i saw the falcon blasting into the sky, it all flooded back in. after a long year of great anticipation (and a fair share of worry), i settled into my seat for an imax 3d showing of TFA on Dec. 18. it was the most fun i can remember having in a movie theater, probably since phantom menace - maybe even moreso. i've seen it three times now and am happy to be back in this universe. is it perfect? no. is it star wars? very much yes.

my fiancee and partner in crime for the last 5 years did not grow up with star wars, nor did she realize my enthusiasm for it until last year. she finds it amusing. i did get her through all 6 films prior to our first viewing of TFA, which she did enjoy. i will make a jedi of her yet. harry potter nerds - what are you going to do?:p

i've spent some time on guitar related forums and enjoy being a part of those communities. it recently dawned on me there that there has to be a great sw related forum out there, so here i am! excited to check this place out and hopefully stick around. sorry for the tl:dr!

rock on!
    z

2. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    If you came looking for a great Star Wars forum, you definitely found one :D Welcome to the JC! I'm sure you'll love it here :)

There are a lot of forums to explore! If you have any questions, please feel free to ask :)

Falcon and zisme like this.
  3. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Welcome zisme ! Hopefully you are finding everything OK. As NYCitygurl said, this is a great place for any SW fan!

Best of luck and most importantly, enjoy!!

zisme likes this.
  4. zisme

zisme Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 19, 2016
    thanks guys!

5. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Welcome to the Boards, zisme.

Good to hear from someone from near where NCIS is based! :p

zisme likes this.
  6. Falcon

Falcon Chosen One star 10

Feb 7, 2002
    Welcome to the boards

Any questions please feel free to ask. This is a great place to hang out and make friends :)

zisme likes this.