main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Hello, I'm new to EU.

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by GRANDMOFFCOLPETZER, Jan 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GRANDMOFFCOLPETZER

GRANDMOFFCOLPETZER Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 12, 2003
    I am about to buy Labyrinth of Evil, my first time in the EU. I find myself drawn to this one because of Lucass' approval of the story. I would like to know of any other Lucas approved novels. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Iron_Fist

Iron_Fist Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 30, 2003
    Most of the Clone Wars novels (including the Medstar duology, Republic Commando: Hard Contact, and Yoda: Dark Rendezvous) would have some sort of Lucas backing on them as they tie very closely in with AOTC and ROTS. Dark Empire, set 6 years after Return of the Jedi was apparently a favourite of Lucas's, so that may also be a viable comic to buy. :)

Lucas reportedly approves each of the major EU storylines, too, so if that's the kind of approval you're looking for, most of the EU is open to you. :)

Welcome to the wide world of the Star Wars Expanded Universe! :D

I_F

3. GRANDMOFFCOLPETZER

Jul 12, 2003
  4. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    [Han]Good luck. You're gonna need it[/Han]

5. HanSolOKniser3

HanSolOKniser3 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 10, 2003
    GMCOLPETZER:
    This may not be the answer you are looking for, but I believe that GL has approved everything in the EU. Maybe not personally, but if it says Star Wars on it, he's let it be published and he's making money from it, so it's all good.

Try reading The Thrawn Trilogy. It rocks!

[face_peace] :D [face_monkey]

6. GRANDMOFFCOLPETZER

Jul 12, 2003
    Good Point Han 3.

7. Lank_Pavail

Lank_Pavail Jedi Knight star 7

Sep 26, 2002
    As stated above, all the major storylines for the novels and comics are approved by Lucas. So enjoy!

[Obi-wan]You've just taken your first step inot a larger world[/Obi-wan] :)

8. Jesina_Dreis

Jesina_Dreis Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 2004
    There are a few threads floating around the Literature forum if you're interested in what books/comics people think are the "must-reads" of the EU.

Jes

9. Geith_Jiseo

Geith_Jiseo Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 26, 2004
    I recommend reading The Crystal Star, by Vonda McIntyre. It is not only the best book in the EU, but also the best book ever in the whole world, and 99% of the posters here agree! It's got action, it's got drama, it's got comedy, it's got compelling storylines, well-written and fleshed-out characters and villains, terrific character development, complex and meaningful themes and symbolism and the climax is absolutely stunning. It's even better than the movies! Not to be missed! :D

Ha! Fooled you! The book sucks. Avoid at all costs. :p

10. Darth_Vaders_cousin

Darth_Vaders_cousin Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 12, 2004
    SHATTER POINT....Dark Rendevous....ADVENTURES OF HAN SOLO....THE HAN SOLO TRILOGY...

most of the books are aproved...And welcome to our ranks soldier....[general]We'll make a EU ommander out of you yet[/general]

11. academygrad88

academygrad88 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 6, 2004
    Ha! Fooled you! The book sucks. Avoid at all costs.

You are cruel GJ!! :p

But he is right--avoid that book at all costs!!

I liked Dark Rendezvous, Hard Contact, The Medstar books, The Thrawn Trilogy and The Thrawn Duology (Or is it called the Hand of Thrawn Duology?).

What you want to read first would depend on what era you enjoy. The first three books I mentioned are the Clone War Era. The Thrawn books take place years after Return of the Jedi. They will have the big three characters (Luke, Han and Leia) in them.

AG88

12. Darth-Dispicable

Darth-Dispicable Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 4, 2003
    Try reading The Thrawn Trilogy. It rocks!

Of all the Sw novels I have actually read, I like this the least. To me it felt to much like a movie carbon copy, all the cheesy lines where the same etc...

I really did enjoy "Shadows of the Empire" though, it would not really be a bad place to start either since it is set between ESB and RotJ. It gave a good feel for Vader's relationship with Sidious, and gave a really cool new villian for us all to love.

Have fun reading the EU.

13. Sniper_Wolf

Sniper_Wolf Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    Read the Prequel works and New Jedi Order. Rest of post-ROTJ works aren't worth reading.

14. mlbfan

mlbfan Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 1, 2004
    The thrawn trilogy are the best ones.

15. Jack1138

Jack1138 Jedi Master star 5

Jan 8, 2005
    Indeed, the Thrawn trilogy, (noticed no one put down the titles! ;))
    1. Heir to the Empire
    2. Dark Force Rising
    3. The Last Command

Are the best! Many other good ones, but those started me off and now I cannot stop!

"An agent of evil I have become, and of many sleepless nights!"

Enjoy!! :)

P.S. IF someone put down the titles and I did not see them, Apologies!

Also give "The Courtship of Princess Leia" a shot! Good one! IMHO!

16. Rev_Leidu

Rev_Leidu Jedi Master star 5

Nov 22, 2001
    I recommend reading The Crystal Star, by Vonda McIntyre. It is not only the best book in the EU, but also the best book ever in the whole world, and 99% of the posters here agree!

[face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

I also suggest you read the X-Wing series. ;) Funny starfighters with action and...dun, dun, dun...drama...

...more funny when Allston writes 'em, though. *snickers*

17. Darth_Katihn

Darth_Katihn Jedi Youngling

Oct 4, 2004
    G_J you scared me there for a second... i was really about to call the men with the white suits to take you away to that white room with padded walls in a white jacket... thank goodness you were only joking... lol

piece of advise GRANDMOFFCOLPETZER.... never ask for advise on these forums about what books to read, what games to play, or anything like that, you will get totally opposite oppinions on pretty much any book\character\author\game\publisher ext...
    (with a few exceptions like the crystal star of course)

just read\play them for your self and make up your own mind, just know that even if you don't like the first thing you read\play it does not mean that all the other SW stuff will be the same, the is plenty that anyone who gives SW a chance will like as long as they don't get disillusioned with the first bad novel\game they read\play

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.