main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Hello! New guy with some questions

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Kier_Nimmion, Apr 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kier_Nimmion

Kier_Nimmion Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 9, 2000

Hi

I've posted here already, but haven't really introduced myself.

Normally I spent all my time around here in Literature and other EU forums, but I've gotten really bored with them lately, and since I am an aspiring film maker, I thought I might see if I can add another 5,000 posts here.

My name is Mark Hills and I live in Minneapolis, MN, though I am originally from Ottawa, Ontario. My camera is the Canon GL-2, and for my birthday I'm hoping for a Sennheiser MKE-300 mic. I'll also be doing some video for my wife's new business, so it means a lot of equipment will be a tax write off.

Currently, I'm working by myself on a film concept and script entitled "When Shadows Fall", a non-Star Wars related (though inspired a lot by, as well as other sources.), action-adventure film about a young girl whose father is murdered by a rich industrialist who plans to use her dad's invention to take control of ancient creature known as the Eidolon Shade.

If things pan out I will certainly need some modellers and animators at some point.

Is there a general resource thread here for things like links to tutorials (I've seen the lightsaber threads), free plug-ins, and on-line help files, etc. where one can go to learn how to do things, especially in the effects area? I have yet to find any books or source material that explains how to do typical FX stuff like blater shots, and the like. It's always titling, and making things glow with groovy wipes and fades.

Also, I was playing Unreal Tournament 2004 the other day when an idea hit me. I know the game can be run by scripts that will move the camera through out a map. would it be possible or even a good idea to see if a portion of a map could be used as digital set with a live action plate comped in complete with shadows? After seeing the digital sets, etc. in DUALITY, this seemed like it would be very possible.

I realize that UT's graphics aren't super-high in the polygon count area, but it might be an effective substitute for creating a full blown digital matte/set if you're like me and lack any 3D graphic making ability.

Whatcha think, too loopy?

Anyway, I'm pleased to be here and I look forward to talking with you in the future.

2. The_Mathematician

The_Mathematician Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 14, 2003
    you could use a game background in theory. I did in an effects test early on.

EDIT: hey, someone in the same area (I'm in Minneapolis Minnesota too)! lol but I'm too young for any fan films to be shown here -- we just show our films to friends at high school.

Have fun, good luck.

3. Kier_Nimmion

Kier_Nimmion Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 9, 2000

Thanks! I'm 35, and I'm just getting started after wanting to do it since I was eight.

Also, any good costuming references out there? Prosthetic and make-up effects are also of interest.

4. VoijaRisa

VoijaRisa Jedi Master star 5

Oct 12, 2002
    Welcome to the group Kier. Thanks for having a look around before posting pointlessly. That's always a nice thing.

As far as costuming resources, there's an entire board dedicated to them. Also, check out this link for a list of links to pretty much every costume you could want.

5. General_Rieekan

General_Rieekan Jedi Master star 4

Feb 5, 2004
    welcome to the Fanfilms boards, Kier! its funny you said Ottawa, it s nice to see some more Canadians over here. im from Sarnia, Ontario and im 28, so if you have some question, PM me and ill answer them as best i can or send you in the right direction.

there are some good tutorials under the Fanfilms section of TF.N, but most are oriented towards Star Wars effects and whatnot, but still a good jumping off point.

also, as a fellow new member of the Fanfilms forum, ill pass on a little advice that someone else is bound to give you around here too. Google is the best way to really find anything. if you're looking for software or tutorials or anything really, then Google will become your best friend.

Cheers and MTFBWY!!!

:D

6. durbnpoisn

durbnpoisn TFN Staff Cast & Crew Database star 5 VIP

May 20, 2002
    Welcome... Nice to see someone my age around here. :D

I have a couple of things that can help you out. Both of which are linked up in my sig. One is a database I'm working on to help people like yourself find others who may be able to help you. The other is a link to one of my tutorials. Actually, the link for my films site contains the links for all my tutorials - one of which explains a good way to do blasters.

Enjoy!

7. djr33

djr33 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2003
    hello :) welcome :)

8. MKane

MKane Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 11, 2003
    Wlcome aboard.

If you're looking for effects tutorials, there's plenty out there. If you post the type of software you have available, you'll find plenty.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.