main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Hi Hello out there! New member from PA!

Discussion in 'Welcome New Users' started by Valency Jane, Jan 18, 2016.

1. Valency Jane

Valency Jane Force Ghost star 6

Jan 17, 2016
    Hi fellow Star Wars fans! This is all new to me; I only have one social media account and have never joined a board or posted a comment or response on any discussion board before, but I just had to after becoming a Star Wars fan over the course of the past year. In April 2015, I decided that, with TFA coming out at the end of last year, I should watch the OT in an attempt to understand what exactly it is that made Star Wars into a global phenomenon.

I honestly had no idea I would become hooked on the Star Wars universe. I thought I knew what to expect (the cast of characters, "Luke, I am your father," Luke and Leia are twins, lightsabers, etc.) but I was blown away. I felt slightly let down by ROTJ, but for me the comedy, romance and action in ANH and ESB more than made up for that. A few months went by, and I decided that I should get the prequels and watch them too in preparation for the new film. I know they have their flaws, but I honestly love them just as much as the OT. ROTS is my favorite of those, but if I am in a crummy mood I usually put either TPM or AOTC on and they perk me up.

I have gotten so into Star Wars that I sought out and watched the Star Wars The Clone Wars movie (which I really could have skipped but oh well) and both Ewok movies and the Christmas special. The first Ewok movie didn't offer much, but the craziness that befalls the same characters in the second Ewoks movie and insanity that ensues more than makes up for it. And of course the Christmas special is such a trainwreck, that you have to see it if only once. I was seriously questioning if I was watching the right thing numerous times through the special!

2. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Hello!! Welcome to the boards!
    I'm from the 90s as well, but I grew up Star Wars. It's cool to see a new fan around here! You'll definitely learn a lot and share a lot. :)

Have you read any of the novels, played games, or watched the TV shows?

If you have any questions, feel free to ask one of us and we'll do our best to help!

Dagobahsystem likes this.
  3. Valency Jane

Jan 17, 2016
    Hi there! It's nice to meet someone also from the 90s; thank you for the warm welcome and speedy response to my first thread! As far as novels go, I am glad that Disney decided to make the EU Legends because as an avid reader, if I had gotten into Star Wars when I was younger I would have felt like I had to track down every single Star Wars book ever written. So far, I've gotten the novelizations of AOTC and ROTS, but have only glanced through AOTC and am about halfway through ROTS (that one is really good, IMO). I am currently reading Darth Plageius, as I thought the background of Plagueis and Sidious and how that all went down would be interesting, not to mention learning a bit more about what exactly the dark side is and how it is used. I'm not that interested in the games or the tv shows; the books and films are more then enough to satisfy me.

Admiral Volshe likes this.
  4. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Failte Nua Duine! Brilliant to have you find your fandom and have it lead you here. Darth Plagueis is a great read. Take time to see everything the forums here have going on and get involved. Hope to see you around the boards. Cheers.

5. Valency Jane

Jan 17, 2016
    Thanks! Definitely loving Darth Plagueis (never thought I'd say that about a book about dark side users); looking forward to learning more about the whole wacky world of Star Wars through the boards! I can't believe I haven't been on here for very long and have already conversed with three people! So happy I decided to join; I never thought being part of a fandom of any kind could be this fun!

Dagobahsystem likes this.
  6. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    If you don't mind my asking, where in PA? I am originally from Ireland but was raised in Philly. Other than a small handful of years where I moved home to Eire, I've lived in Philly the majority of my life; finally moving to suburbia last spring.

Valency Jane likes this.
  7. Valency Jane

Jan 17, 2016
    I live right outside Philadelphia. So cool that you are from Ireland; what county are you from? I'd love to visit County Carlow.

8. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    My family is from (and remain in) Armagh. Carlow is lovely. Worth a visit even without family ties. I maintain a residence, which I let out to friends, in Belfast. It is my retirement plan. Bucks County has some nice areas. And decent food. I grew up in West/SW Philly so everything down MacDade & Baltimore are always on my radar.

Valency Jane likes this.
  9. PaulWrightyThen

PaulWrightyThen Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 11, 2016
    Hello there. I'm pretty new as well. We can be friends if the other kids don't like us ;)

Thought I'd join in the Irish links thread. Mums Irish and from Rathmullen in Donegal. Love that place.

Back to Star Wars.

Welcome to the boards :)

10. Valency Jane

Jan 17, 2016
    Hi there, and welcome to you too! It's nice to find others who are have also joined the boards recently!

PaulWrightyThen likes this.
  11. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    Welcome to the boards.

I'm also from the 90s (though rather the very early 90s). My first Star Wars experience was the OT on TV when I was six or seven years old. I watched TPM for the first time when it was released on VHS and I was in the cinema when AOTC and ROTS were released. I am a fan of all films as you are. I lost my interest for Star Wars for some years, but with the Legends announcement and TFA cast announcement both in April 2014, my love for the franchise was reignited and I bought the TCW series on DVD and watched it for the first time. I then discovered this board and after some months of lurking, I decided to join it.

12. Valency Jane

Jan 17, 2016
    Thank you; I'm so happy I decided to join! I'm glad you decided to come back to the fandom; I still can't quite believe how large and wide-spread it is. And I too lurked around a bit on the boards before joining, although I caved far sooner than you, after about three weeks. :)

Dagobahsystem and Darth_Voider like this.