main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Hello there

Discussion in 'Welcome New Users' started by Dark-Fox, Sep 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dark-Fox

Dark-Fox Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 28, 2008
    I just wanted to come in, say hello and introduce myself :) I also wanted to say thanks for the helpful threads in the thread index. Becasue the Council Forums are so huge and intimidating, it's a comfort to know that there are many other new folks who feel the same newbie fears!

So, in the words of Dr Nick, "Hi everybody!" ;)

2. Lady_Belligerent

Lady_Belligerent Queen of the RPF, SWC, C&P, and Pancakes & Waffles star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 29, 2008
    Hello Dark-Fox! What are your favorite things about SW?

Dark-Fox likes this.
  3. Dark-Fox

Sep 28, 2008
    Hi Jag4Me, pleased to meet you! That's a good question to ask and a hard question to answer, but I think my favourite thing in the entire saga is the force, it's philosophy and nature. If that makes sense!?

I also like the glowing sticks!

How about you, what are your favourite things? If I may ask, what does your name mean and where did you come up with it?

4. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    If you understand the EU, it makes a lot of sense. ;) Trust me, I've had to learn it really fast.

Anyways, welcome! :D

5. Dark-Fox

Sep 28, 2008
    Thanks, JediGunship. I like the EU but I find it hard to keep up with so I mainly limit my EU experiences to games and Darth Bane novels. Perhaps a search of wookieepedia will answer my question?

6. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    I haven't read any EU stuff in years, and that wasn't very much, considering how much reading material there is out now.

7. Lady_Belligerent

Lady_Belligerent Queen of the RPF, SWC, C&P, and Pancakes & Waffles star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 29, 2008
    Lightsabers are pretty amazing!:D

One of my favorite characters is Jagged Fel, he makes his debut during the New Jedi Order series. I am a huge EU fan and have read almost all the books. The name just came to me since Jagged_Fel was already taken.

My favorite things about SW? Wow, that is hard! I love all the pilot stories, the Rogues and Wraiths are simply awesome! Of course I am nuts for all the Fel family, from Soontir all the way to Roan and Sia. I could make a list that would take days to read so I better stop with that.[face_laugh]

Dark-Fox likes this.
  8. Dark-Fox

Sep 28, 2008
    Thank you Jag4Me. With Star Wars, it's hard to come up with a short list of things that are cool and when discussing those things with non-fans, you feel a bit of a gushing fool! :)

I admire your dedication to novel line. As JediGunship said, there are so many books to read that it can be hard to find a starting point.

9. Lady_Belligerent

Jan 29, 2008
    Oh, not at all! You just start with a story arc and then go from there. There are several 3 book series and duologies as well. That's how I've always done it. They one that takes awhile is the NJO, because there are so many books in that series it really helps to read it in order.

It is possible though to just read the write ups on Wookie if you can't get some of the books.;)

Dark-Fox likes this.
  10. Dark-Fox

Sep 28, 2008
    Thanks for the tip! I can't help but find myself sucked into Drew Karpyshyn's Darth Bane series, If I'm honest. I also like Karen Travis' Republic Commando series as it contains everything I was hoping for after watching AOTC. Ages ago I read the Thrawn trilogy but I think it was over-hyped and I expected more than was delivered.

I'm quite tempted by NJO, didn't Karen Travis write a book or two for it?

11. Lady_Belligerent

Jan 29, 2008
    Not that I can recall, not in the NJO. I am just getting into those Republic Commando books, I have Traviss' new one O66 to read after I finish The Force Unleashed.

Do you play any of the video games?

Dark-Fox likes this.
  12. Mister_Master

Mister_Master Jedi Master star 6

Oct 17, 2007
    Welcome to the Boards Dark-Fox.

Have you read both the Darth Bane books?

13. Dark-Fox

Sep 28, 2008
    I gotta get me Order 66! Probably wait until it gets published on paper-back, though. I love big hard back books but my other-half gets annoyed by them: "they take up too much space etc..." ;)

I do like the Star Wars games and just completed TFU last night! Makes me want to read the novel, now ou mention it. What a great game though! TFN has a link to TFU Downloadable content - Excellent news!

How about you? Do you play the games?

Thanks for the welcome Mister_Master :) You a Darth Bane fan?

Only read the first one so far. Again, it's the hard back issue my girlfriend has :rolleyes: I humour her, but I'll win this argument 'coz I bought Path of Destruction on hard back! I'm gonna order it from amazon soon.

14. Lady_Belligerent

Jan 29, 2008
    I play some of them but not as much as I read the novels and comics.

The books do take up a lot of space, and can get into serious $$$.

Mister_Master - did you read those? I have one but haven't read it yet.

15. snowspeeder_gunner

snowspeeder_gunner Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2007
    Hey Dark-Fox!

Don't worry, I usually have no idea what people are talking about with EU though, either. The only EU I've read is like half of the X-wing series. But now I've learned quite alot, just from reading the boards! So it's all cool. I'm jealous that you've played TFU, I can't wait to try it.

Have fun on the boards!!

16. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    Speaking of that, I have X-Wing books 1-6, along with Book 1 of LotF, sitting on a shelf in my room, unread.

17. snowspeeder_gunner

snowspeeder_gunner Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2007
    :eek: You should read the X-Wing books! Right now!

18. Dark-Fox

Sep 28, 2008
    Thanks Snowspeeder_gunner! These boards do look like a fun and enjoyable place to spend time and I look forward to learning more about the aspects of Star Wars that I'm not clued up on!

19. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    School and the forums take most of my time away, so I haven't really had a chance to read them.

20. Lady_Belligerent

Jan 29, 2008
    Listen to her Gunny! I know I've told you the same thing once or twice too. They are a fast read and some of the best SW novels written.

21. Dark-Fox

Sep 28, 2008
    I'll have to look into reading this X-wing trilogy. I'll try and beat you to it, Gunship, and add another voice to the chorus of "you must read" ;)

22. Trika_Kenobi

Trika_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 4, 1999
    I thought you were talking about the little chemical sticks you can get at the skating rink. [face_mischief]

That's what I like about the SW universe, anyway. :D

23. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    Why does it feel like we're creating a social thread? :confused:

24. Mister_Master

Mister_Master Jedi Master star 6

Oct 17, 2007
    I have read both Darth Bane books. I loved both of them.

There isn't very many of the SW games that I haven't played and won.

I hope you enjoy the boards Fox.

25. Lady_Belligerent

Jan 29, 2008
    Please! You have to trust me on this, they are great fun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.