main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Hi Hello there

Discussion in 'Welcome New Users' started by MotivateR5D4, Apr 20, 2015.

1. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    Thanks for allowing me here. I want to be more in the loop in the Star Wars news cycle. I also want to learn more about the expanded universe and how to sort it all out. I just attended Star Wars Celebration Anaheim which has certainly revived my interest in all things Star Wars and has motivated me to become much more active in the Star Wars community than I have been in years past. Been reading through a lot of threads here already. Thanks!

2. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Hello and welcome. Please do not let the 'canon wars' or needless PT/OT debates demoralise you. You are a fan regardless what you like. :)

3. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    Thanks for that. I'm okay with the PT/OT, I like them both, and have actually found there to be a greater sense of continuity when seeing it all as one story. But the whole canon thing is something I didn't realize was so stark until this past weekend. For example, I am a huge Shadows of the Empire fan, and mentioned to someone I would love to see a movie or an animation or anime film about it, and somebody else said it was "not canon", which I always thought it was. Although I always had an idea that some stuff might not be considered truly part of the whole universe, I never realized it is so black and white and that things are officially canon and not canon. I mean, it's Shadows! So yea, some things you can't un-remember, and I doubt I'll be able to keep from factoring in the canon wars while sorting out the expanded universe, how the games factor in, the tv shows, etc., making it that much more complicated.

Iron_lord likes this.
  4. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    I didn't even know there were such divisive divides till I came here and I find them all rather lame. If it is valid to the fan that's what matters to me. It's all fiction anyway. Why so many continuously try and rob others of enjoyment I will never understand. I ignore the nonsense now. :p

I'd suggest as well giving whatever you want a try yourself. Many here will try and deter newbies from reading much EU content and I think that's a shame as we aren't all alike and that's good.

5. Wedge's crowbar

Wedge's crowbar Jedi Youngling

Apr 20, 2015
    Hi, new guy here, what does the "PT/OT" thing mean?

6. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Hello it represents that for many here there are camps that prefer a given trilogy and some users like to argue with others about which is supposedly superior.

7. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    PT states for "Prequel Trilogy", OT stands for "Original Trilogy".

8. Jedi Master Kenobiwan

Jedi Master Kenobiwan Force Ghost star 6

Oct 8, 2011
    Hello and welcome. :)

Are you interested in learning about the Light side of the Force through RP, my friend? If you are, we have a fanclub in the EU Community that is called Guardians of the Light that is looking for new Force learners. :D Take a trip there and say hello, and find out if it is something that you would like to do. ;)

Otherwise, enjoy yourself and have fun. :D

9. Wedge's crowbar

Wedge's crowbar Jedi Youngling

Apr 20, 2015
    Ok, thnx!

Iron_lord likes this.
  10. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    Welcome Rellum Kire! :)

Just a word to the PT/OT & Canon things... Getting into those discussion don't mean to get demoralised. It depends on you. Those talks can bring up new views, interesting and funny talks as well as friendships. So it all has two sides. ;)

Like Wedge's crowbar did above, whenever a question comes up, don't hesitate to ask. We are here to help you. :)

Enjoy your stay! :)

Wedge's crowbar, I'm glad, that Iron_Lord could answer your question that quickly. And of course, for you it's the same as for Rellum Kire, ask when you need an answer. Have fun and see you around! :)

Iron_lord likes this.
  11. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Welcome I hope to see you around.

12. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    I wrote this out to somebody and thought it would be a good way to re-introduce myself and express my gratitude for my most recent experiences within the Star Wars community. Looking forward to being more involved and active than ever.

Number one reason I joined TFN is to be more involved in the Star Wars community. Second reason is to find out where to start reading EU material so that I don't feel completely lost.

I've always been a huge fan on my own, grew up on 90s Star Wars, the re-releases, the toys, video games, Shadows of the Empire being my favorite. I was in sixth grade when TPM came out and was completely immersed in that fervor. I was in high school when Eps 2&3 came out, so I wasn't as "into it" per se for any extended time, just sort of right around when the movies were actually released. Then went off to college, started working, moving around, doing what 20 somethings do. By way of that, my passion for Star Wars faded a bit.

I never really became involved in the community as much as I had previously considered or would have liked. Just never made that step.

I mentioned this in a previous post, but what kind of brought me back to Star Wars was a few years ago when I worked as a tech support rep for an online based software company. I spent about as much time on Wookiepedia as I did doing my job. For some reason I just naturally gravitated to Wookiepedia and spent hours reading pages and articles on all things Star Wars. All while still being a top performer at my company. So that was fun, although it still didn't bring about any particular enthusiasm.

Then about a year and a half ago I watched a Star Wars Holiday Marathon on Spike TV. Didn't even actively watch it with any intent, just sort of had it on all weekend while I relaxed about my house. During that viewing, which was the first time I saw the saga in order from 1-6, I developed a broader appreciation for what an immersive experience it is to watch these films. My life had also quieted a bit from the first half of my 20s when things were going a mile a minute, had a stable job, stopped moving around a bunch. Without my knowing it that Spike TV marathon is what sort of re-lit the flame for me. Decided to buy a couple of books, and just slowly got back into it over the course of a year.

I had always known that there was an "official" Star Wars convention, didn't know where or when they had taken place, where or when the next one would be, didn't know it was called Celebration. But figured eventually I'll make my way to one.

Still though, not in any way involved or up to date on current happenings in the Star Wars community.

Bringing us to today. Basically, I was totally in the dark about Celebration Anaheim until literally the week before it happened when I randomly, completely out of the blue searched when tickets for TFA go on sale, and subsequently discovered this event called Celebration that was happening the following week. Thought to myself this is right down the street from me. Did a little more research and realized this IS the official Star Wars convention I had always known about. At first I figured I was only going to go one day, Sunday, my day off of work, no big deal. But as the week went on I started thinking about it more and looking at the schedule of events, and over the course of a few days decided I REALLY wanted to attend this event. I realized that showing up the last day would just make me regret not trying to attend the whole thing. So I grinded it out work, got shifts covered, traded a shift, bugged my manager to grant me a day off, and finally got all the days I needed to attend Celebration in full. One of the things I really wanted to do was watch the films being screened at night which would end at around midnight, so with the late nights and the inevitable mess that parking would have been each morning, I decided to book a hotel room instead of make late night early morning runs back and forth from Los Angeles to Anaheim for four straight days. I'm quite proud of myself for all that, within a week's time I went from not knowing about this event at all to being fully engaged and looking forward to completely immersing myself in it and attending the entire thing. I was ecstatic in the days before the event knowing I would be there. It still boggles my mind that had I not made that search for tickets for the movie I would have never discovered Celebration Anaheim and it would have happened without me knowing about it even the slightest.

And that was only the beginning.

The second I arrived on Wednesday night to get in line for the TFA panel, I just felt a level of comfort about myself and the people around me that I haven't felt in years. I was by myself but didn't feel alone. I was able to talk to people, make friends, discuss Star Wars, discuss all things nerd, and just be myself. The rest is history from there. I spent the next four days doing exactly what I envisioned myself doing. Since I didn't have anybody with me I could easily move around and maximize my time going from one thing to the next, or just relax and briskly walk the show floor. Staying at a hotel near the Convention Center also facilitated my immersion in the whole thing, as I literally would leave at midnight, go to sleep, wake up, and get right back to it, no pressure getting there or anything. I felt so at ease with myself and what I was doing to a point that I can't think of more than a few times in my life that I genuinely experienced that.

That being said, it's not even a question that Celebration Anaheim reinvigorated my passion for Star Wars. I wanted to share my experience with people, had always known about this forum, and figured now is no better time to join and to have that involvement in the Star Wars community that I had previously considered. Having been so close to missing the event, I now want to be in the know about all the happenings in the Star Wars community. And here I am. I love being able to discuss Star Wars without first having to acknowledge that I'm discussing Star Wars. I like knowing what's going on and being up to date. Hopefully discover some meet ups in my area, and get to know more people in the community. I'll probably even join the Mandalorian Mercs at some point. It's only been a month that I've been on the forum but so far it's been a good start.

If you've taken the time to read this, thanks.

13. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    Well folks, it's been nice being on this forum and engaging in active discussions with all of you about all things Star Wars. At this time, however, I will be leaving for the US military and will be primarily focused on that for some time. I will come back to TheForce.net at some point, but for now, may the force be with all of you.

14. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Glad to hear you had fun. Good luck and hope to see you back soon! :)

15. Snokers

Snokers Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2015
    Welcome, I'm going to my first Star Wars Celebration in 2016 in London, can't wait!

Hopefully talk to you around the forums!

16. Falcon

Falcon Chosen One star 10

Feb 7, 2002
    welcome to the boards

If you want a good one to start with, Shadows of the Empire is a good one

it's between ESB and ROTJ.

Any questions feel free to ask

17. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    Well, that didn't work out quite as planned. Anyways, I'm back. o_O

18. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    That means you're back already? Cool! :cool:

Ok, not so cool for your personal career. Sorry about that.

Rellum Kire likes this.
  19. Falcon

Feb 7, 2002
    meh means he's hooked and doomed like the rest of us. The insanity has started already :p

Rellum Kire and Skiara like this.
  20. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    Eh, there were some administrative hiccups which meant delaying when I would leave, coupled with an honest sense of relief that this could be a way out, so I walked away from it. Career wise I'll be okay. I want to work to live, not the other way around.

21. Falcon

Feb 7, 2002
    it's a joke ;)

22. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Welcome back.

Rellum Kire likes this.
  23. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    Okay, so I got everything straightened out, and I leave for the Army next week. I'll be active on the forum through this weekend, but after that, I don't know when I'll be back. Thank you all for the discussions and updates on the latest Star Wars happenings, and I hope to keep posting again in the not so distant future.

Bardan_Jusik likes this.
  24. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
    GO ARMY!

Rellum Kire likes this.
  25. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Good luck there and see you back one day! :D