main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Hi Hello there.

Discussion in 'Welcome New Users' started by Jedi Dave, Nov 20, 2015.

1. Jedi Dave

Jedi Dave Jedi Knight

Nov 13, 2015
    Hi everyone.

I'm old enough (barely) to have seen Star Wars in the back seat of my parent's car at a drive-in movie theater. The only part I remember from that first viewing was Obi-Wan, Luke, Han, and Chewie popping up from under the Millennium Falcon's deckplates. A couple of years later, my dad sat me and my sister down in front of the TV on a Monday night, tuned it in to The Movie Channel, and basically acted like we were about to see the Most Important Thing Ever.

Sometimes, I think it was.

It was only called Star Wars then. Since that time, I've flown from one side of the Galaxy Far Far Away to the other. I've seen a lot of things. I've seen them become episodes. I've seen them become prequels. I've seen the Holiday Special, live. I've watched cartoons about Droids and Ewoks. I've ridden in the Caravan of Courage. I've seen an expanded literary universe I fell in love with in 1991 be wiped away two decades later by the hands of the Powers That Be.

But I'm still here.

I'm nervously excited about The Force Awakens. I've got a marathon ticket in my pocket, that says on December 17th, at 3 AM MST, I'll begin a Seven Episode Journey back to, and back through, the galaxy we know, and the galaxy we don't.

My dad won't be along for the ride, this time. Not in the flesh anyway. But, as someone once said, I am a Jedi, like my father before me. And once again, it feels like I'm somehow going to be watching the Most Important Thing Ever.

Thank you all for having me.

2. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    "So be it, Jedi." *ZAPS* "Only now, at the end, of November, do you understand."

Welcome to the Boards, Mate. Nice to have you with us.

Where did you see the Holiday Special, live?

3. Jedi Dave

Jedi Dave Jedi Knight

Nov 13, 2015
    To answer the question, on a 9" black and white TV in my grandparents' bedroom.

For the obvious: I'm embarrassed to say Han Solo's onscreen death devastated me and turned me off from the franchise. I'm not interested in debating it, or discussing it, but it's why I haven't been back since. I'm dipping my toes back in the pool. I hope not to be disappointed again.

Lady Belligerent likes this.
  4. Lady_Belligerent

Lady_Belligerent Queen of the RPF, SWC, C&P, and Pancakes & Waffles star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 29, 2008
    His death made me very unhappy, and I feel like it was unnecessary. :( But, I'll get over it in time because I'm not going to let that ruin the franchise for me.

I'm glad you're giving it another chance. :)

Master of None likes this.
  5. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    My favorite character is Kenobi. I felt the same way when they killed him in 1977. Someday, I may find out what happened in Empire Strikes Back.

6. Darth Nihilon

Darth Nihilon Jedi Padawan star 1

Jun 5, 2016
    Hello! What is this holiday special I see everyone speaking of?

7. mick63

mick63 Jedi Youngling

Aug 8, 2016
    Hello Dave, yes I agree they really seemed to have pounded it to death over the last 20 or so years with the prequels etc, which I think did damage
    with all the CGI when actual models have a much better effect. So I grudgingly went to the opening day of Force Awakens to a packed theater on a
    Friday night but I was pleased to see most of the audience were people about at my age range with their kids too, maybe to get the spark going in them.
    My 10 year old son is already a natural Star Wars kid.
    But as the film started on that big screen I was instantly taken back to 1977 when I was 14. The theater roared with cheers and applause.
    It was a good experience.

Master of None likes this.
  8. Master of None

Master of None Jedi Master star 4

Jun 14, 2016
    Welcome back Dave.

I too was devastated by Hans death and also thought it was unnecessary. I feel more like it was Harrison saying "please kill off my character I'm too old for this ****". (And him being hurt during filming may have also been a motivation).

On the other hand it was the unexpected shock value known to the franchise. Kylos reveal wasn't that shocking, it was more of an expectation.

I've been a fanatic since I took my 2 year old son to see Star Wars back in 1977 (to this day I will NOT call it ANH) :)
    I have tried to venture outside the movies but other mediums really have nothing to add to the movies, IMO. And that expanded universe stuff was waaaay too confusing....

I really enjoyed TFA, (with the exception of Han being killed but I can accept it) I loved Rey's character and loved seeing our original heroes, especially our man Luke :)

Be well and it IS a great time for us oldies to be Star Wars fans

9. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    He gets better

10. Master of None

Master of None Jedi Master star 4

Jun 14, 2016
    That's brilliant!!

Martoto77 likes this.
  11. Conkhead_12

Conkhead_12 Jedi Padawan star 1