main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

DFW, TX Hello Tim... Anybody home!?

Discussion in 'MidSouth Regional Discussion' started by Genetic_Misfire, Jan 1, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Genetic_Misfire

Genetic_Misfire Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 4, 2000
    Tim old chap, let me quote you from your EW story on the main page:

"11. Ellen Burstyn (um.....why?)"

Hello! Did you not see the re-release of The Exorcist this year? Have you not see Requiem For A Dream? If no, I think you need to retract that "(um.....why?)" statement. Pronto.

James

2. Old-Jedi

Old-Jedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 25, 2000
    Sorry a rehash of a seventies movie, albeit a great one, and ONE flick do not IMHO qualify one for top 12 status. My statement stands.

3. Genetic_Misfire

Dec 4, 2000
    Tim! Damn you! You have the nerve to call yourself a film fan.

First, The Exorcist is not just a "rehash" of a 70's film. The Exorcist is filmmaking at its finest. When Star Wars was re-released, did you say "It's just another rehash of a 70's film". I think not.

Secondly, Requiem For A Dream is not just one film. It is a nightmare, brilliance, no genious caught on celluloid.

Don't make me start smaking you around, cause I'm not afraid.

James

4. Old-Jedi

Nov 25, 2000
    I was there in the 70's I remember well the hysteria that the Exorcist evoked then, and if we were in that time period, then sure I would consider her for that spot. This is 2001 and the Exorcist was RE-RELEASED 2000 with added scenes, that BTW may be found on the DVD. This does not warrant her renewed consideration. By your way of thinking everytime some classic is re-released we must rediscover and re-idolize those actors. For example if Aliens 3 was re-released no one....hold on a minute no one would ever consider that movie a classic. If someone does I have to question their film fan status :)

5. Genetic_Misfire

Dec 4, 2000
    Alright, the gloves are off now. First of all, the 2000 version of The Exorcist has far more than just added scenes. Let me think about it for a second... oh yeah, subliminal demonic faces as well as the completely remastered soundtrack. I don't know if you've noticed yet BUT the THX EX sound format is not one to be over looked.

Also, when your acting is as phenominal as Ellen Burstyn's was in The Exorcist, you can't dismiss that either. You're also speaking from the standpoint of a person that has yet to see Requiem For A Dream.

Brandon, you should chime in on this as you're the only fanforce member that I'm aware of that's even seen Requiem For A Dream. What did you think of Ellen Burstyn?

Tim, you know I love you man but if you keep up this uninformed Alien3 hating, I'm gonna have to make Karen a widow at such a young age.

James

6. Genetic_Misfire

Dec 4, 2000
    I almost forgot. You know I love Russell Crowe as much as the next film dork but he has only had two films released in 2000. The were two great f'ing films but needless to say, he didn't do to much in the way of film.

James

7. Old-Jedi

Nov 25, 2000
    At least both of his were released this year, as opposed to one being re-released from almost 30 freakin' years ago (Gosh I feel OLD). Anyone else care to chime in and tell James he is wrong?

8. Obi_Bamm_Karaoke

Obi_Bamm_Karaoke Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 19, 2000
    I read that EW (God bless subsriptions), and Ellyn Burstyn has always been a great actress, and most of the reviews of "Requiem" that I have read totes her greatness in this as well. Even Oscar buzz. I'm with James on THIS one.

Plus... demons just suck.

9. Old-Jedi

Nov 25, 2000
    Et Tu Karaoke ?

10. Kurgan1

Kurgan1 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 19, 2000
    Requiem didn't do much for me. She did a good job from a purely artistic standpoint, but I don't know how much of that was from good acting or from good directing.

However, I still have no real opinion about that movie either way. It just didn't do much for me. Actually, I felt a really sick urge to laugh out loud at some really "disturbing" parts of the movie like the amputation scene. But hey, I'm a bit of a madman. =)

Russell Crowe is the man this year. Period.

11. THX_Jedi

THX_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 18, 2000
    ""Russell Crowe is the man this year. Period.""

I agree Kurgan...

"What we do in life...echos in...ah forget it."

12. Genetic_Misfire

Dec 4, 2000
    I fully agree that Russell Crowe is tha man! Although Brandon, you have to recognize the greatness that is Requiem For A Dream.

James

13. Old-Jedi

Nov 25, 2000
    HAH! Your mind tricks will not work on him.

14. Kurgan1

Kurgan1 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 19, 2000
    It was very well done, I admit it, but the story did nothing for me. You can pretty much sum it up by saying,

"Drugs are bad, m'kay? So don't do drugs. If you do drugs, you're bad, m'kay?"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.