main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Hell's Place in Star Wars

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by sushimilk, Jul 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sushimilk

sushimilk Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 19, 2005
    if the force is a jedi religion, it makes you wonder if it ties in with heaven and hell being a part of sith and jedi beliefs....
    in ESB when han goes to look for luke, someone tells him that his tan tan will freeze or something like that, and han replies "Well i'll see you in hell then."
    that line has got to be the most overlooked line in the whole trilogy....
    in relations to ROTS the whole temptation regarding the new influencing the midichlorines to create life and prevent death power is a notch for the sith, while the see you in hell line though insignificant definately reflects something that has yet to be answered....
    if hell is indeed a horrible place where those fallen souls go to, then does the christianity religion exsist in the star wars universe????
    Do the sith believe in a hell or a darkeside afterlife in the force where their souls will go ?

2. AUSSIETROOPER20

AUSSIETROOPER20 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 19, 2004
    god is the light side of the force
    the devil is the dark side of the force

3. RebelScum77

RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2003
    Moving to the Saga forum.

4. jedixesiria

jedixesiria Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 28, 2005
    yoda was saying to luke the force is all around ,,,it is the tree's the rock's something like that?
    >>what is going on?

5. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    I don't think they do. Han was saying that because the planet he comes from (Corellia) believes in 9 forms of Hell. It's just a slang term used by him to describe the "bad place" you go in the afterlife. I don't think the Jedi believed in such a place, and each planet/culture had their own religious beliefs, just as different cultures have different beliefs here on earth. I imagine there was a genearl "good place/bad place" mentality for the afterlife, but not necessarily in the same way that Christianity would depict it, and certainly not on a galactic scale.

6. manolo-ryda-5

manolo-ryda-5 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 1, 2005
    sushimilk posted:
    If the Force is a Jedi religion, it makes you wonder if it ties in with heaven and hell being a part of sith and jedi beliefs....

It has nothing to do with Sith and Jedi beliefs as Han Solo isn't a Force user. But I've also wondered if people/aliens believed in heaven and hell. The only religious references I recall in Star Wars are both in TPM. Queen Amidala says to "Senator" Sidatine, "I pray you will bring sanity and compassion back to the Republic."-pray to who, Padme?

And in the novel of TPM, in the beginning of this same scene (both of them standing together looking out the window when Panaka and Sidatine enter)Jar Jar says to Amidala, "Mesa wonder why da guds invent pain?" She replies, "To motivate us, I imagine." Then the rest of the conversation B4 Sidatine and Panaka enter is pretty much like how it is in the movie.

7. sushimilk

Apr 19, 2005
    still doesnt really explain what "hell" was doing in the star wars trilogy...sems out of place considering the force is the galaxy universal religion

8. jedi_master_ousley

Jun 14, 2002
    still doesnt really explain what "hell" was doing in the star wars trilogy...sems out of place considering the force is the galaxy universal religion

No it isn't. The Force is the Jedi religion. Regular believe don't believe in it, and a lot don't even know what it is. Each planet and culture has it's own religion. Besdies, "I'll see you in hell!" sounds a lot better than "I'll see you in Eegbanu!" or something.

9. sushimilk

Apr 19, 2005
    hehehe
    if there is a variety of religions....then wouldnt the force be the only true religion, and the others hokey??

10. jedi_master_ousley

Jun 14, 2002
    No, I wouldn't think so. The Force is but one of many ways to practice a religion. It doesn't necessarily make the others any less "real."

11. Robert_Hamburger

Robert_Hamburger Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 1, 2004
    The Force and the Jedi beliefs are based primarily on Buddhism, not Christianity. There's is no true deity in the Star Wars universe. A person doesn't go to heaven or hell when they die but becomes one with the Force, not because they have been judged by a supreme being but simply because that's how the universe works.

Do some research on it, and you'll understand the concepts in the movies and the movies themselves much better.

And of course, as jedi_master_ousley has pointed, there are other religions and beliefs in the Star Wars universe.

It should also be noted that George's own beliefs about spirituality and the afterlife are reflected in the movies.

12. Loco_for_Lucas

Loco_for_Lucas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 15, 2002
    The first thing you hear upon entering Star Wars Hell:

"Exqueeze me, yousa standing in my pool de fire!"

13. DarthPoppy

DarthPoppy Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2005
    Why does everyone say the force is based on Buddhaism? I know George has said this, but he clearly got a lot from Christianity, particularly Roman Catholicism--particularly in the PT: immaculate conception/virgin birth, monastic chastity for Jedi, etc., etc. I think the OT was more Eastern religion inspired, the way Ben talked about the force was very Zen, but this seemed, to me at least, to be abandoned for a much more "church like" religion in PT. As for Hell, it is almost a universal concept in world religion, going back to Hades in Greco-Roman mythology, existing in Jewish, Christian and Islamic theology and even as a realm of demons in Taoism, Buddhaism, etc.

14. Robert_Hamburger

Robert_Hamburger Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 1, 2004
    Christianity is not the only religion that has an immaculate conception.

Also, the Jedi are not chaste. They simply cannot do what Anakin did, which is to become possessive of a person.

15. Palpy560

Palpy560 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 11, 2005
    I like the above post:
    God is the light side
    the Devil is the dark side
    Palpatine seems to be a kind of Anti-christ figure in that he seems so consumed by the dark side.
    Yoda, is like the pope, or a Saint or something. I just get that impression.
    When Sith or Dark Jedi die, they are part of the dark side
    When Jedi die, they are part of the light. So it is natural for the sith to want to cheat death, because however they use the dark, it would suck to be a part of that, think about it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.